Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Has anyone successfully upgraded their brakes on the base to S brakes? If so, any chance of the part numbers and maybe a 'how to' guide?

I'm lead to believe the S brakes are from the 991.2 so tempted to buy a used set of 991 brakes and have them refurbished rather than shelling out for brand new S brakes.

Finally, are they a straight plug and play?

Thanks. Dan

·
Registered
762 Posts
Interested to see how you progress. I was thinking of doing the same, if I get a tune someday. The current front brakes on the base are the same as the fronts from the 981 and our rear brakes are the same as the S, but black instead of red. It would be idea if the 991.2 is black and that would be all you would have to deal with, if the brake sensors are the same. Below from a Porsche tech workshop document:
Front axle ∅ 330 mm x 34 mm Rear axle ∅ 299 mm x 20 mm (Predecessor: front axle ∅ 330 mm x 28 mm)

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm not a brake expert but I would guess it is a very involved project. As the front brakes are bigger wouldn't you have to replace the entire brake system to handle them? (So master cylinder, brake lines, possible ABS sensors and calibration, etc)?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TBH the discs/rotors are the same size on the base and S and the master cylinder is the same as well so hopefully its just a calliper swap so should be pretty easy.

·
Registered
762 Posts
TBH the discs/rotors are the same size on the base and S and the master cylinder is the same as well so hopefully its just a calliper swap so should be pretty easy.
As we are heading/thinking in relatively the same direction: at this point, I'm thinking of adding the Rennline brake hoses, changing to Motul 600 and a BMC air filter, but when I get out of warranty, I'm considering boosting the HP with a Cobb tune (adds about 40-50 HP?). But when I look at the design specs of the 2016 Cayman, our stock brakes were designed for use with 325 HP. For two weekends a year (and maybe a few laps rarely at the National Corvette Museum track in Bowling Green, KY), I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble to upgrade. What are your (or anyone else's) thoughts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Both are 4 pot calipers so I dont think the brake force is too different. It wouldn't be too bad if the stock brakes were painted gloss black (rather than the washed out black) like on the base Carrera. Less prone to going a horrible rusty colour after a year or so. I'm tempted to ask my OPC to do the job before I collect it but could well be £2k+ whereas having the current calipers painted gloss black would only cost around £500. Downside to that is id be without a car for about a week while they did them.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Any local dealers for caliper paint? Shipping internationally may be an issue, and masking off the Porsche letters could drive someone like me to distraction.

·
Registered
2019 718 Cayman - Manual, PTV, PASM, Sport Chrono
31 Posts
...But when I look at the design specs of the 2016 Cayman, our stock brakes were designed for use with 325 HP. For two weekends a year (and maybe a few laps rarely at the National Corvette Museum track in Bowling Green, KY), I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble to upgrade. What are your (or anyone else's) thoughts?
I've done countless track days and race weekends in various cars, but none yet in my 718C 2.0.

However, I I have driven the Cayman for extended periods of time in the canyons, in 30-40 minute sessions that have left some of my other sporting cars' brakes smoking, faded and useless.

The Cayman brakes - bone stock - show no signs of fade. Indeed, they are easily the most impressive part of the car to me. They only seem to get better when hot, and I haven't yet generated enough heat to blue the rotors with the stock pads.

I cannot imagine any of my local tracks needing anything other than a possible track pad and fresh hi-temp fluid. Of course, I have learned to brake hard and late, and don't drag brakes like I did when I was newer to the sport...

Of course, brakes=confidence, and if you're spending mental cycles wondering about your brakes when turning laps, then maybe an upgrade would keep you from making a costly mistake from distraction/worry. :)

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
64 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
All the discussion about upgrade and not a word about pads. Consider my experience.

I drive a base , and kill at the track . After 5000 miles and aggressive track time at Barber and Daytona with stock pads , I had no issues. I do have high temp fluid and braided lines. My pads are used up now as are my rotors. Along the way I can assure you that no S drove harder in the braking zone . I almost never got fad !

Now this : rotors got warped from heat and that was my fault for not doing a longer cool down at session end.

I have new pads and rotors now , tires as well. This time with race pads. I’ve gained the knowledge of a needed cool down meaning that I watch the clock and end my session 2 laps before the checkered and use that time to lap with minimum to no braking. The initial bite of these pads is noticeable ( Ferodo ) My lap times have improved a bit ( pads and tires ) and not a hint of fade , and preserving the rotors seems assured.

Unless your favorite color is red , why not try my route 1st and save a pile of money. Don’t forget the brake fluid , the most needed upgrade for track.

·
Registered
2019 718 Cayman - Manual, PTV, PASM, Sport Chrono
31 Posts
All the discussion about upgrade and not a word about pads. Consider my experience.
I cannot imagine any of my local tracks needing anything other than a possible track pad and fresh hi-temp fluid.
Seems like you and I agree, and your experience matches my assumptions. 😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts