Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
718 GTS 2019
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it is that time of year, at least in the Northern Hemisphere, when thoughts start to turn to the track & “High Performance Driving Events” (HPDE’s)

FWIW, I just got a set of the “GangUp” Apex 19” group buy wheels and trying to decide what if any thing more to do as re: “unbalancing” what Porsche’s engineers have spent a lot of time and effort on.

In any event, for anyone else thinking along those paths, I thought I’d just try to gather in one place a collection of several threads and a few notes on “Brakes”

This is by no means “comprehensive” (i.e. for example there is nothing noted re: brake fluid choices, one of the two greatest factors vis-à-vis along with pad choice, of the many things, disk rotor sizes, pad sizes & thickness and cooling etc., et., etc.) HTH and as always, YMMV (Your milage may vary):

Brake Base to S thread: Brake upgrade Base to S

Half measures - Ti Shields & one alternative pad observation/option SOLD! GTS titanium brake pad backing plates, Ferodo...

US Porsche Club America (PCA) April 2021 video link on PFC’s brake “upgrade” thoughts and considerations. It is long, but very detailed, and based on a veritable ton of knowledge & experience.

Well thought out & done IMO if you have the time to listen through.
This is part “201”

There is also a “Brakes 101” video

The Suncoast 718 Cayman 2.5 liter track build out & modifications, including brake swap out for 4.0 liter brake parts, thread
Last, but not least a few clipped notes I gathered on current offerings and costs on the 718’s “upgrade” path (or slippery slope):
  • Pagid RS29’s #8047 Front $445
  • Pagid RS29’s #2406 Rear @ $300
  • 3/2/2021: “ Front rotors are Girodisc 350mm x 31mm paired with the 4924 RS29 and 718 GTS 4.0 six-piston caliper. New factory hardlines were installed with this kit. Rear rotors are 350mm x 26mmand will use the 4909 RS29 pad.
    • 718 GTS 4.0 uses a 4 piston rear caliper with a 330mm rotor. We are going to that caliper and pairing it with Girodiscs 350mm rear rotor.
    • Front caliper will be the 6 piston GTS 4.0 caliper with a 350mm Girodisc. We have 19's and don't really plan to step down to an 18" wheel
    • Zagone ?/??/2021 - Heads up. If you want to improve your brake pedal feel so it is hard and not spongy you need to replace the brake master cylinder with the one from the 991 GTS (not the GT-3). Look at my tread. I did this a year ago and replacing the MC fixed the spongy pedal feel. Ask Jon at BGB. Good luck. See you on the 5th.
    • Suncoast 2/23/2021 - We went ahead and ordered in the 991 GTS master cylinder and will replace that with the new brakes. Ironically it's the same one the 981 Boxster Spyder uses.
  • 3/2/2021 “Here are some photos of the rear setup. We went from a 325mm rotor to a 350mm x 26mm rotor that uses a Pagid 4909 RS29 yellow pad. We also upgraded the master cylinder to the 991 GTS/Boxster Spyder MC. We have some comparison photos of the whole setup below. . . .

• Front 6 piston 350mm - $2,595 includes Pad, Rotors Calipers & hardware. “Only compliant w/ 20” or larger wheels.
    • Front brake upgrade using factory parts! Replaces the 4 piston (315/330 mm) brakes to a larger and more aggressive 6 piston (350 mm) system. Direct replacement using factory parts, no modifications required. For this upgrade, we strongly recommend upgrading the rear brakes to match this increased stopping power.”
  • Front 6 Piston 340mm - $2,095 Replaces the 4 piston (315/330 mm) brakes to a larger and more aggressive 6 piston (340 mm) system. Only compatible with 19 inch or larger wheels.
  • Rear ? 4 Piston 330mm conversion - $1,595 - rear brake upgrade using factory parts! Replaces the standard 299 mm brakes to a larger and more 330 mm sized system. Includes calipers, disks & brake pads. Red or Black
  • GiroDisk Fronts – 350mm 2-piece @ $1,200 - Dimensions: 350 x 28 mm. 2-Piece design.
  • “ Rears Girodisc Rear 325mm 2-piece @ $1,100 Rotor Upgrade - Dimensions: 325 x 20 mm
  • Zagone's comments 3/2/2021 - You should seriously consider the Pagid RSL 1 compound for the front calipers(GT3 spec) pads. This compound has a lot better initial bite while having equal or better spec for every single performance variable. I love the RSL29 compound, still use it at the rear but the issue that i found with the RSL 29 at the fronts is the take a lot of brake pressure to stop and they are not as aggressive with initial bite as the RSL 1. If you are using an aggressive compound tire, the RSL 1 is the way to go. If using 200 treadwear or higher tires use the RSL 29. At the rears use the RSL 29.
Hope this helps those who're interested in their search/choices. Cheers :)

·
Registered
718 GTS 2019
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS - FWIW, I thought I'd start this as a separate thread, rather than try to append or insert any of the above into an existing one, e.g. the "Brake Base to S" as a place folks can append a link or thoughts re: modifications and tunes in the Cayman/Boxster 987-981-718 aka 980 platforms that may have cross generational benefits or pearls of wisdom.

In a not directly related, but at least cross platform "How far can one go" line of thought, for anyone who hasn't run across DriverDog's 987 slide down the slippery slopes of modifications and tunes,

Cayman Race Car Build

I know I've seen a post or two here along the lines of "now that the (early) 718's are moving out of warranty etc., maybe we will start seeing some real tuning modifications . . . " etc.
The old 987 folks got pretty crazy and invested in trying to do the factory x1 (or heck x1,000) better for "crippling the mid-engine platform" so as not to embarrass the 911 golden goose. There may have been a bit of over compensation in the DriverDog case, but hey, well done sir in any event.

Cheers

·
Registered
881 Posts
For the ultimate in competition and track braking (aside form carbon ceramics) you could add the AP Racing Radical Competition Brake Kit

Front 6 piston 372mm rotor
Rear 4 piston 340mm rotor

Seems to have quite a few advantages over the Porsche brakes including reduced caliper and rotor weights.

·
Registered
718 GTS 2019
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For the ultimate in competition and track braking (aside form carbon ceramics) you could add the AP Racing Radical Competition Brake Kit

Front 6 piston 372mm rotor
Rear 4 piston 340mm rotor

Seems to have quite a few advantages over the Porsche brakes including reduced caliper and rotor weights.

Thanks Don, I believe Sobilof has also mentioned the AP Racing alternative - but then I think he may have moved off into the new 2020/21 4.0 liter 718 GT4 camp with the new car's already bigger brakes as standard kit. I think Sobilof mentioned the AP Racing / Essex kit "might" fit inside 19" wheels? If that were true, it would be a point in their favor. From the review link you've posted, another BIG plus, at least in my book, is " . . . Pad changes are very easy, remove the pad retention bolt and clips, swap the pads and you are good to go - no need to remove the brake caliper. . . . " A feature the old Brembo "Big Reds" caliper offered, the pads loaded in the top of the caliper so you could change them without having to take the caliper off the disk rotor.

OTOH, at @ $4,400 Fronts and $3,800 rears it becomes pretty pricy. One would really have to work hardby adding stickier tires, e.g. Hoosiers, Avon or Michelin etc. racing rubber/slicks, and power, a la Tuned S or GTS? etc. to justify the need.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
The Essex 372mm front brake rotor+caliper kit will fit inside 18" APEX SM-10 wheels, but if you get the Essex 394mm kit you'll still have to use 19" SM-10s.

I'm still dreaming of the Essex kit for my GT4, but the money isn't there for them at the moment!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts