Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After viewing non-stop Porsche Cayman videos for the last two plus months, reading every imaginable 718 Forum, and slowly watching the next 110 days, 17 hours, and 47 minutes pass, I decided to join this forum. I get it...there are many more serious life and death issues facing many of those in society...but I want my Porsche **** it! How are others coping with the wait?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Poorly. I bought a new PC, Assetto Corsa Competizione, and a brake upgrade for my sim rig just so I could drive a 718 GT4 Clubsport in anger while my Cayman in the garage awaits warmer days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Placed my order for a 718 base a couple of weeks ago. Estimated deliver in early June. Trying not to bug my SA too much with changes. I think once it’s in production and locked, it’ll get easier.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Placed my order for a 718 base a couple of weeks ago. Estimated deliver in early June. Trying not to bug my SA too much with changes. I think once it’s in production and locked, it’ll get easier.
Congrats on your order. My pick up date is June 11th. Very excited!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I had a five month wait too (11/18 to 4/19). It was a great five months anticipating the PEC delivery. I immediately started going to the local Porsche & Pancakes breakfast. I followed the production cycle and tracked the car across the Atlantic and then down the east coast to Jacksonville. A few times my car turned itself into a Porsche dealer to allow us to ogle Boxsters in the showroom . I also immediately joined this forum, In my mind the fun we had anticipating the PEC delivery was all part of a wonderful experience that started with building the car and taking the build sheet to the dealer and it would be a very incorrect assessment to say we "coped with the wait". To the contrary, there are many pleasant memories from that five months. Congratulations and the best of luck and enjoyment with your new Porsche!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My cayman is currently on the ship, eta somewhere March (Ordered in late November 2020). And I have been driving the 718 Cayman in Assetto Corsa everyday lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ordered my 718 in a January. No changes now as it’s in process and due April 30 plus or minus. . I sort of enjoy the anticipation. It is something to look forward to. Admittedly I live in New England so I also enjoy using the car that I’m trading for the winter with the 718 coming just in time for spring. I’ve been waiting since high school so I can easily wait a few months.

·
Registered
236 Posts
5 months is easy.

I ordered mine in Jan '20 for an expected delivery in May '20. Covid put the scuppers on that and ended up taking delivery mid July '20 so a 7 month wait........ but it was well worth it.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster (awaiting build slot) (DD)
33 Posts
We’re waiting for a build slot allocation for the 718 Boxster, so that it definitely a long wait. Been researching and planning on our perfect first Porsche since fall 2019 and finally deciding on going through in January 2021, but being impatient, it is agonising to wait for a build slot and hoping we get one in February.

We’re trying to eye June/ July before we move from Denver to the East coast so it’ll be perfect timing! I’ve downloaded gta V to play with the Pfister model that is based on the 911 in real life and am eagerly awaiting Gran Turismo 7, though GT Sport is hopefully expected to be added to PS Plus in March, otherwise I’ll just get that for now.

I also joined the forum and started reading whilst checking out the ‘good to know’ app, videos, website, etc. Even have a Porsche background on my phone and thinking of buying a cap next weekend 🤣 we’ve also decided to sign up for the Atlanta PEC, so that’ll be fun!

Congratulations on you’re Porsche!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
How are you following the production cycle after placing an order? The dealer mentioned the 'dream' app but the manufacturer has not sent me a login and the only thing I've read online about it is that the tracking system was going to be introduced for 911s with no marketing mention so far of Porsche including the 718 buyers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How are you following the production cycle after placing an order? The dealer mentioned the 'dream' app but the manufacturer has not sent me a login and the only thing I've read online about it is that the tracking system was going to be introduced for 911s with no marketing mention so far of Porsche including the 718 buyers.
That is an answer I’d be interested in also if anyone knows. The dealer told me the order was placed so too late to make changes now. They said the delivery date is 4/30 to the dealer but it could be between 2 weeks early and 2 weeks late. They did say some order number was produced but not how to track anything myself. They did say I can call them if I want and they can look if the expected date changes

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We’re waiting for a build slot allocation for the 718 Boxster, so that it definitely a long wait. Been researching and planning on our perfect first Porsche since fall 2019 and finally deciding on going through in January 2021, but being impatient, it is agonising to wait for a build slot and hoping we get one in February.

We’re trying to eye June/ July before we move from Denver to the East coast so it’ll be perfect timing! I’ve downloaded gta V to play with the Pfister model that is based on the 911 in real life and am eagerly awaiting Gran Turismo 7, though GT Sport is hopefully expected to be added to PS Plus in March, otherwise I’ll just get that for now.

I also joined the forum and started reading whilst checking out the ‘good to know’ app, videos, website, etc. Even have a Porsche background on my phone and thinking of buying a cap next weekend 🤣 we’ve also decided to sign up for the Atlanta PEC, so that’ll be fun!

Congratulations on you’re Porsche!!!
It‘s my understanding that the app (which apparently shows photos of production, etc.) currently only applies to 911 builds. My dealer provided me with the event sheet which shows when the vehicle enters production, enters the port, leaves Germany, etc. Several forum threads discussed the ability to track the ship to the US...which will be my next endeavor. Best of luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been waiting for my Cayman since placing the order last June. Collection should be 5 March, so only 2 weeks to go! Can't wait. At least it has given me something positive to look forward to during the C****19 crisis. The down side is that I've probably visited the configurator at least once a day (!) since placing the order and I kept adding to the spec. Congrats on your order and it's only 110 days!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been waiting for my Cayman since placing the order last June. Collection should be 5 March, so only 2 weeks to go! Can't wait. At least it has given me something positive to look forward to during the C****19 crisis. The down side is that I've probably visited the configurator at least once a day (!) since placing the order and I kept adding to the spec. Congrats on your order and it's only 110 days!
Congratulations to you too!

·
Registered
9 Posts
As mentioned, the ‘follow my dream’ app is only available for 911 production at the moment.
Dealer just confirmed that by email today, it doesn't apply to a pending boxster order.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After viewing non-stop Porsche Cayman videos for the last two plus months, reading every imaginable 718 Forum, and slowly watching the next 110 days, 17 hours, and 47 minutes pass, I decided to join this forum. I get it...there are many more serious life and death issues facing many of those in society...but I want my Porsche **** it! How are others coping with the wait?
Placed my order a week and a half ago, it's been the longest week and a half of this Covid isolation crap and I have 6 months to go. I've been watching all the videos on YouTube and am now watching them for a second and third time. That only makes the time go slower, I suppose I should turn my attention elsewhere, but it's hard to do since I have a Cayman as my desktop picture. Luckily I have my E46 M3 to thrash around in the meantime, which is a great sports car. I'm 65 and this will be my first Porsche. Ordered a Gentian Blue GTS 4.0 with GTS interior pkg with red stitching, beautiful. That's as close to a GT3 as I'm going to get. Ahh, dream car becoming reality, we are all truly fortunate. Maybe I should help Ted Cruz hand out water in Texas to take my mind off it.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
If you folks haven't seen this video, its an introduction to the 718 line making a connection to the original 718 with Derek Bell driving one of the original 718s on the Targa Florio course. I watch it every so often just to keep the sense that every Porsche is part of the Porsche racing history.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts