Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
On Order 2021 Carmine Red Cayman
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Crossed posted

After more than 25 years of wanting a Porsche we are finally getting (ordering) one. A base Cayman with some options.

Before now it wasn’t practical, not the right time or etc. But now the kid is on his own, house has been paid off for awhile, no real bills and we are still working so it won’t eat into our savings.

Our allocation locks next week and we’ve built the car 2 ways, we can’t decide whether or not to add the Sport Chrono Package.
The car will be for weekend drives and hopefully some long weekend trips. We are not going to track the car.

I’ve tried to read all I can regarding the Sport Chrono package and I see it does some pretty neat things. But would we really use any of those things after the first few times.

We’ve waited a long time and we want to build it for our forever (we hope) car, but no reason to throw away money if we won’t need or use it.

Here’s what our build looks like: *minus the Sport Chrono Package

Base Cayman, Carmine Red
20" Carrera S Wheels, Satin Black
PDK
Standard Interior in Black/Bordeaux Red with Leather Package i.c.w. Sport Seats
Premium Package:
  • LED Headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+)
  • Light Design Package
  • Power Folding Exterior Mirrors
  • Lane Change Assist
  • Porsche Entry & Drive
  • Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel
  • Ventilated Seats
  • Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
  • BOSE® Surround Sound System
  • Deletion of Model Designation on Rear
Sport Tailpipes in Black
Power Steering Plus
Navigation including Porsche Connect and Voice Control
Smoker package

·
Registered
881 Posts
Congrats on your future purchase. Looking like a very nice build so far.

I think the options depend on the way you are going to drive.

Sports Chrono is a performance option with dynamic drivetrain mounts and multiple sports settings (sport & sport +) which sharpen up throttle and PDK response if you have the reflexes to match. If I'm driving through the mountains or on the track I'll almost always switch to Sport + and the performance differential is quite noticeable.

However, if you are going to be mostly cruising then just having normal and sport settings will be enough. If you're wife is like mine she wont be letting you drive in Sport + anyway.

If it is still an option the Bi-xenon with PDLS are sufficient and the Entry & Drive is probably not necessary on a 2 door unless it is going to be used as a daily and/or with two frequent drivers with different settings. I have power folding mirrors but I'm not sure if they are necessary as the mirrors don't really protrude much.

I think adaptive cruise control is a more useful feature than LCA for daily driving duties and long weekend drives, if you don't mind the sensor on the front grill.

I'd probably also choose PASM over Sports Chrono if I had to especially as a daily/comfort and/or performance option.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a base with SC. And thats the option i love most. If it´s a money thing, delete the enttry&drive and the folding mirrors.
You can fold the mirrors manual, if its necessary in some cases.
The expirience to plug in the key and start the engine is always a pleasure in the 718... ROOOOWWWW!
The mode switch with SC and the Sportresponse button to overtake - never want to miss this.
If you plan to move your Porsche species-appropriate, spec Sport Chrono!

·
Registered
337 Posts
SC is a personal preference. For me I spent the money on other things (PASM) as its my daily. There's only so many times you do launch control however one of the bonuses is that it give you individual mode. It allows you to configure the setting in the car how you like but for me it wasn't worth the extra.

I would also suggest adding the GT steering wheel and Porsche crests on the headrests.

Apart from that, spot on!

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I love these discussions, though I question their helpfulness unless it is to suggest to the OP that whatever they want is what they should get. This was the first time in 50-something years of driving that I got to have the exact things I wanted built into my car. My car is a toy for occasional romps on rural Kentucky roads where straight and level are certainly relative terms. Fortunately, my build was useful when I tried an HPDE and feel in love with the terror and joy of the experience. My original intent was to mimic the experience of little British sports cars I had in earlier times. They were small and spartan and rode like it. So, my little 2019 base Cayman was built with a manual shift, SC and PASM, sport exhaust was standard beginning that year, and dual tail pipes in black. Then, partly because I didn't order Nav, I added Apple CarPlay and the cell booster that they call "phone compartment". Because I nearly always only park in my condo's underground garage, I got the Entry and Drive system that I enjoy having and using. For when I don't want the E&D to be active, I carry a Faraday pouch in the car, and have a bigger Faraday pouch in my condo where I store my Porsche keys. Again, more information than you probably wanted, but I'm darn good at rationalization (if I do say so myself).

·
Registered
79 Posts
I love Sport+ mode. Even if I didn’t track my car it was on my list . I also like the look of the SC dial as well . Look at what it gives you with PDK .

·
Registered
79 Posts
I love Sport+ mode. Even if I didn’t track my car it was on my list . I also like the look of the SC dial as well . Look at what it gives you with PDK .

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
IMO if you are getting a PDK.... SC should be on the list as well.

if the build was a manual I’d say skip it.
I'd say it's as important with the manual, unless you are already highly adapt at heel/toe'ing. The rev match feature is nice to have with the manual.
I like SC also because it gives me individual mode.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I'd say it's as important with the manual, unless you are already highly adapt at heel/toe'ing. The rev match feature is nice to have with the manual.
I like SC also because it gives me individual mode.
I done just learneded sumptin new! Didn’t know the SC added rev matching on manual.

Id like to revise my statement.... get SC no matter what!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I specced SC, PASM, PTV, and 6MT on my 2018 Cayman order along with a lot of other options. Pre-COVID, my spouse and I used the Cayman for long-distance trips and weekend fun runs. Now we use it only for weekend runs in the rural twisties in our area. This summer, post vaccines, we plan to take some trips again.

Reactions: JazzCatGab

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you are going to drive very aggressively and not use manual shifting mode then definitely get Sport Chrono, I never use it Sport+ mode around town, but occasionally use it in the twisties although 90% of the time on winding roads I use manual shifting for which Sport+ doesn't matter much. I use the Sport Response button for fun occasionally although there are many different opinions whether it is just a 20 second sport+ mode or even more (some claim additional boost).

My comment on your build (and way more than you requested) only on parts where I have an opinion that might influence your personal preference.

Standard Interior in Black/Bordeaux Red with Leather Package i.c.w. Sport Seats
Premium Package: (assume you tested all seats, but personally I think the Sports Plus seats are way better and if you are the only driver you can save a bunch of money with 2 way Sport Plus seats)
  • LED Headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+) (great headlights IF you drive at night, but at least get PDLS headlights)
  • Light Design Package (personal preference, but the effects are VERY minimal)
  • Lane Change Assist (visibility in Cayman is great, but I use this ALL the time and would not want a car without it)
  • Porsche Entry & Drive (I got this, but would not miss it)
  • Ventilated Seats (make sure seats are comfortable to you with this option. My experience is the seats are softer without it)
  • Power Steering Plus (I think this option is totally unnecessary)
Navigation including Porsche Connect and Voice Control (I got this option and it works great. If you care about traffic info you have to pay $189 per year after first year to get that feature. I use Android Auto in my Audi and greatly prefer it. While Android Auto is not available on Cayman (without aftermarket change) I felt strongly enough about this to almost get an Apple Phone just to use Apple Car play instead of Navigation.

I do recommend PASM (car sits better and you seem to be going for comfort options).

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sport+ mode, provided by Sport Chrono, allows you to escape the fake, overbearing pops and burbles of Sport mode.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Here are my thoughts based on personal experience.
  • LED Headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+) - a must if you do a lot of driving at night in places without streetlights and curves and animals such as deer in the road
  • Light Design Package - adds lights in the visor by the mirrors and a must according to my spouse (she was shocked to find the 981 did not have them as we left the dealership)
  • Power Folding Exterior Mirrors - nice to have
  • Lane Change Assist - nice to have especially when driving in congested urban areas but not a substitute for looking once, twice, ...
  • Porsche Entry & Drive - do not have this on the Cayman but it is nice on the Volvo my spouse drives
  • Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel - very nice to have
  • Ventilated Seats - very nice to have
  • Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell - she uses it often
  • BOSE® Surround Sound System - we seldom listen to the radio but the Bose system is nice enough for us when we do
  • Deletion of Model Designation on Rear - did this and IMHO it makes the rear of the car look cleaner
Sport Tailpipes in Black - got these and they look nice
Power Steering Plus - did not spec this since we did not have it in the 981 and the steering was fine - I understand this can be added later by the dealer
Navigation including Porsche Connect and Voice Control - we like this although we seldom use the Voice Control
Smoker package - makes the console look cleaner in the 982 than in the 981 which does not have that option

·
Registered
71 Posts
Individual mode is the #1 reason - IMO - to get SC. One click of the dial for Sport+, ASS off, PASM comfort, PSE on.

Now I just need an update that adds park assist to the list of items controlled by I-mode so that it‘s off.

Resale is better with SC, especially PDK.

·
Registered
On Order 2021 Carmine Red Cayman
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone......... We have 5 days left to decide and are still going back and forth on the Sport Chrono, lol.

But now, we are rethinking our 2 way seats vs going with 14 way after reading your posts.

As soon as we are locked, I'll let you know which way we went.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi, I’m just wondering what’s the “RPM limiter”?
just a guess but it’s where the redline fuel cutoff / rev limiter is set for MT cars , and maybe the shift point for PDK . So maybe gives you something like 300 more RPM to shift .

·
Registered
508 Posts
TPatt, we specced the 14-way seats with memory package for the convenience and especially for the memory features. It is much easier to get in/out of the car when the seat slides back and the steering wheel raises and then when needed, everything returns to where either I or my spose set it.

Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package (from the configurator)
Driver's seat features memory function for seating position, steering column and side mirrors as well as individual setting such as lights, wipers, climate control, door lock setting, instrument cluster and PCM (via remote). Settings can be recalled using the additional memory buttons in the door. Front seats offer electric adjustment of:
  • Seat backrest
  • Seat height
  • Fore/aft position
  • Seat cushion inclination
  • Seat cushion depth
  • Lumbar support (4-way)
Note: Steering column also features electric height and fore/aft adjustment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts