Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - have read a few anecdotal reports of turbo failures on base 2018 2.0L Caymans.

Was told by the dealership that this car had an issue with the actuator/wastegate and the entire turbo was replaced under warranty.

Is that something that I can independently verify with Porsche or the service location? Would feel more comfortable confirming it was a replacement and not a simple repair.

Also a newbie, so not sure whether this is cause for concern as a longer term issue, or if one-time turbo replacement should not introduce any additional risk for future issues.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Others that have had the problem will chime in I'm sure. A search of the forum will find their previous comments. My take on it is that it is rare. Some have had their turbos replaced, others simply got a shot of "grease" on the actuator to loosen it up. From what I can tell reading here is that when the car is exposed to the elements, the actuator is somewhat prone to seizing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Others that have had the problem will chime in I'm sure. A search of the forum will find their previous comments. My take on it is that it is rare. Some have had their turbos replaced, others simply got a shot of "grease" on the actuator to loosen it up. From what I can tell reading here is that when the car is exposed to the elements, the actuator is somewhat prone to seizing.
Thanks MLJJ! Have indeed seen a few different threads on this topic. I guess where I'm getting at is whether it's one-time or makes the car more likely to have the same or other issues in the future. Not sure if that's something you have awareness of - whether it may bring future issues to the same car, or potentially affect resale value.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
A turbo replacement will be on record with Porsche (presumably done by authorized dealer) and any future buyer who cares to check will see that. Whether that affects resale I can't say.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hi all - have read a few anecdotal reports of turbo failures on base 2018 2.0L Caymans.

Was told by the dealership that this car had an issue with the actuator/wastegate and the entire turbo was replaced under warranty.

Is that something that I can independently verify with Porsche or the service location? Would feel more comfortable confirming it was a replacement and not a simple repair.

Also a newbie, so not sure whether this is cause for concern as a longer term issue, or if one-time turbo replacement should not introduce any additional risk for future issues.

I'm not familiar with the particular issue, but the way I would approach it is to say the service issue should be reflected in its sales price, ie, modestly (a few percent) below market. I would also want the car to come CPO'd. I assume there shouldn't be further issue, but the repair is only as good as the technician who did it. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Waste gate problems on the 2.0 engine seem to be relatively common - due to the position of the waste gate actuator (someone posted a diagram on here of the exposed actuator compared to the S model) - there are lots of comments on here about the issue. I had it seized on my 2018 base with 8,000 miles - was told by the official dealer that they never seen it before and they had put some grease on it! I was also told that I wasn't driving it enough! Anyway, it hasn't reappeared (not that I have done many miles due to lockdown) and I have registered the issue with Porsche GB.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If the gate swing flap is semi seized / stiff from corrosion its very easy just to remove the actuator and free it up. Sounds like a few dealers are changing the whole turbo for no other reason but to get more money out of Porsche Headquarters for the warranty work.

A turbo that fails or needs major rebuild attention, either self destructs from stress failure (rare), Or more common from high mileage...smokes like crazy out of the exhaust at idle.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Waste gate problems on the 2.0 engine seem to be relatively common - due to the position of the waste gate actuator (someone posted a diagram on here of the exposed actuator compared to the S model) - there are lots of comments on here about the issue. I had it seized on my 2018 base with 8,000 miles - was told by the official dealer that they never seen it before and they had put some grease on it! I was also told that I wasn't driving it enough! Anyway, it hasn't reappeared (not that I have done many miles due to lockdown) and I have registered the issue with Porsche GB.
I have a 2019 Boxster 718T with c13K miles on the clock and have just had exactly the same problem. Sticking actuator leading to intermittent complete loss of turbo boost. Porsche dealer replaced the whole turbo under warranty (thank goodness!) telling me it was not a common problem, but admitted it could be a design issue. I queried what Porsche were planning to do about it as surely it could happen again, if it was a design issue. He told me he was not aware of any information from Porsche. Would be good to hear of any other owners with the same issue? My goodness, how the car is nothing without the turbo!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a 2019 Boxster 718T with c13K miles on the clock and have just had exactly the same problem. Sticking actuator leading to intermittent complete loss of turbo boost. Porsche dealer replaced the whole turbo under warranty (thank goodness!) telling me it was not a common problem, but admitted it could be a design issue. I queried what Porsche were planning to do about it as surely it could happen again, if it was a design issue. He told me he was not aware of any information from Porsche. Would be good to hear of any other owners with the same issue? My goodness, how the car is nothing without the turbo!
I have a 2019 Boxster Base and I am really concerned about this design flaw and future possible failure.
Following

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,556 Posts
I have a 2019 Boxster Base and I am really concerned about this design flaw and future possible failure.
Following
I think this issue is most prevalent in locations that have higher humidity, and thus, you see most of those reporting the issue live in the British Isles. So if you live in a humid place, you should be aware of this issue IMHO. I'm also wondering if, for those with the issue, if they use their cars as a DD?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.