Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

Hope that you doing well,

I'm on the verge of purchasing a new Porsche car, I will like to ask a couple of questions due to I'm new to Porsche.

I'm
debating between 2 cars,

First is the Boxter 2.0 PDK as a second\weekend car as I have a BMW X4 diesel and I like that as a daily car.
The second option is Porsche Macan S with the 2.9L Audi's RS5 Engine( as I heard many great stories about it and its power delivery and sound) and it will replace my BMW.

Regarding the Boxster, I would like to show the options list that I would like to have and to get your comments and suggestions if I forget something or if I should add something to the list.

Plus what color will suit the car more, Black or White?

I really don't care about the speed of the car, more about the sound that will be strong, and with much of PDK Farts :p

Font Number Parallel Document Screenshot

·
Registered
163 Posts
Interesting question. My wife has both a 2021 Macan S and a 2022 base Boxster, both PDK and carmine red.

I think you're comparing apples to oranges. The Macan is utility. It's not a true Porsche in my mind. Yes, it's on the sportier end of SUV's, but it's still an SUV. When I drive it, it's not fun. It's a Porsche that can tow our boat.

The Boxster is a fun weekend toy. She just got it about 3 weeks ago. I did find it interesting that after a few drives she told me it feels slow, and she never said that about the 2017 Boxster it replaced (which we traded in January). So maybe a summer with just a Macan S makes a base Boxster feel slow? I can always get the Softronic tune though which adds 65hp.

I think the Macan has a slightly nicer sound...if you care how your SUV sounds.

Don't get black! I've never seen any car that looks nice in black. That's a terrible color unless you want to hide the lines of the car and never have it look clean.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
852 Posts
Hello Guys,

Hope that you doing well,

I'm on the verge of purchasing a new Porsche car, I will like to ask a couple of questions due to I'm new to Porsche.

I'm
debating between 2 cars,

First is the Boxter 2.0 PDK as a second\weekend car as I have a BMW X4 diesel and I like that as a daily car.
The second option is Porsche Macan S with the 2.9L Audi's RS5 Engine( as I heard many great stories about it and its power delivery and sound) and it will replace my BMW.

Regarding the Boxster, I would like to show the options list that I would like to have and to get your comments and suggestions if I forget something or if I should add something to the list.

Plus what color will suit the car more, Black or White?

I really don't care about the speed of the car, more about the sound that will be strong, and with much of PDK Farts :p

View attachment 47501
Lot of personal value and preference decisions you need to make, but since you asked a few of my thoughts:

(1) Boxster or Macan: We have two BMW diesels: X5 and 540. Absolutely love both and now that diesels are no longer available in US will not get rid of them until the wheels drop off. Even if I got my wife a Macan GTS as our next SUV, I'd figure out a way to keep the X5d in our family. So unless you are having issues/problems with your X4d, you won't get my vote to replace it with a Macan S. If you can swing it, get the Boxster as a fun car and keep the X4d.

(2) "Plus what color will suit the car more, Black or White?" - Haha....Is that a joke? Neither are "colors". But @gobble is exactly right on black (and dark colors) hiding the great looking lines of the Boxster and Cayman. I went with white for my former 2014 Cayman S as a concession to my wife who wasn't a fan of Racing Yellow. But for my 2022, I'm very happy I went with Carmine Red. Although if I get a chance, may swap it for Acid Green. Check out the "Only Fun Colors" thread in these forums. And try to have a little fun! ;)

(3) I'll save you 750 Euros: (a) take off all model designations completely, they detract from the good looks and lines of the car and (b) eliminate light design package; I didn't have it before, I have it now, and I can barely tell the difference. I'd offer to save you another 2,800 Euro's by suggesting you add a third pedal, but that's your call and I'm rather obviously biased.

·
Registered
936 Posts
My recommendation:

Get the Sports Seats Plus 2 -way its 1,898 E - much more supportive, bolstered seat over the flatter standard Sport Seat

add PASM (lower ride height -10mm) 1,428 E
add Porsche Torque Vectoring 1,309 E (this also adds locking limited slip differential)
add 2 zone air conditioning 761.6 E

since your spec leans towards a more sports but basic spec - those are my recommendations

the standard a/c system controls are not set up very well - the 2 zone is an automatic climate control system - FYI

colors are a personal choice - just keep in mind that black is more maintenance to keep it looking good
-if you're parking outside most of the time, I'd avoid black paintwork

·
Registered
718 Boxster S
32 Posts
I haven't driven a Macan, I have driven PDK Boxsters, Boxsters S, and GTS 4.0.
What I would say that while the Boxster is plenty fast, I would rather spend the money on the Boxster S than sports chrono.

·
Registered
2.0 Cayman PDK
204 Posts
Out of those two, I'd go white every day of the week, especially if you're from a hot country. I would add climate control, the standard heater unit is a bit poor.

Reactions: Robsx

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have both, the Mecan is more comfortable as a daily. But if you plan to keep the X4, go for the Boxster. It will put a smile on your face every time you drive it.
As for options, I second the Sports Seats+ 2 way with Porsche crest on the headrest. If you don't want a hole in the center console, get the $0 smoke package, can't argue with $0 option from Porsche. If you don't mind buttons on the steering, multifunction steering wheel works well. The larger fuel tank is also useful.

·
Registered
2017 Cayman S, APR, Ohlins
267 Posts
Interesting question. My wife has both a 2021 Macan S and a 2022 base Boxster, both PDK and carmine red.

I think you're comparing apples to oranges. The Macan is utility. It's not a true Porsche in my mind. Yes, it's on the sportier end of SUV's, but it's still an SUV. When I drive it, it's not fun. It's a Porsche that can tow our boat.

The Boxster is a fun weekend toy. She just got it about 3 weeks ago. I did find it interesting that after a few drives she told me it feels slow, and she never said that about the 2017 Boxster it replaced (which we traded in January). So maybe a summer with just a Macan S makes a base Boxster feel slow? I can always get the Softronic tune though which adds 65hp.

I think the Macan has a slightly nicer sound...if you care how your SUV sounds.

Don't get black! I've never seen any car that looks nice in black. That's a terrible color unless you want to hide the lines of the car and never have it look clean.
Karl’s feelings don’t bruise easily from all the hate (n):poop::p
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
725 Posts
The Macan is in no way a substitute for a Porsche sports car no matter how hard it tries and it tries pretty darn hard. The Macan GTS is possibly the best driving CUV in its class but it's still not a sports car. After owning a Macan GTS for a year, I bought a Cayman S as well. My Macan is a 2018 so not the 2.9L Audi motor with the pops and crackles. I have a tune on my Macan so it's making about 420hp but still not a sports car.

As for color choice, everyone has their preferences. Personally, I find black to the be the least flattering color for curvy cars like Porsches. Look at how Porsche disguises their test prototypes. They don't bother with camouflage like many other manufacturers, they just wrap them in black. Black is also the color that requires the most maintenance to keep looking good. I get it, some people love black cars and power to them. But if you're asking me which color I think suits any modern Porsche best, I'd go with any color but black.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
936 Posts
If you don't want a hole in the center console, get the $0 smoke package, can't argue with $0 option from Porsche. If you don't mind buttons on the steering, multifunction steering wheel works well. The larger fuel tank is also useful.
the OP is Euro market - and pretty much everything is extra cost. The (free in US) smoker's package is 53 Euro and Multi-Function wheel costs extra as well - about 375 Euro

so that base Boxster will have the price increasing as the options start stacking up

·
Registered
725 Posts
I had no idea there were different climate control options.
There used to be manual controls and automatic controls which Porsche named "dual zone" which led to a lot of people not ordering it because who needs dual zone in a tiny cabin like a Cayman, right? Well, dual zone is the only way to get set-a-temp-and-forget-it auto climate instead of manually clicking the tiny fan and temp switches multiple times every time. I suppose that's not a big deal for Boxsters but can get annoying in Caymans. In the US, dual zone became standard recently.

Reactions: PeC

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
There used to be manual controls and automatic controls which Porsche named "dual zone" which led to a lot of people not ordering it because who needs dual zone in a tiny cabin like a Cayman, right? Well, dual zone is the only way to get set-a-temp-and-forget-it auto climate instead of manually clicking the tiny fan and temp switches multiple times every time. I suppose that's not a big deal for Boxsters but can get annoying in Caymans. In the US, dual zone became standard recently.
It's a big deal for Boxster owners too.

Reactions: PeC and rasetsu

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I need to say that I'm very impressed with the support and very detailed inputs on the group))

Im sure now that I'm going to the boxster lineup

Should I make the extra mile for the S ?
I'm not interested in speed , more into loud sound and fun.

If taking the basic 2.0

Adding the sport Chrono makes the car more fun?

Thanks for the answers 🙂

·
Registered
718 Boxster S
32 Posts
You still have a sports mode without sports chrono.
What you get is the silly clock, the button on the steering wheel, with 2 sports mode an a custom setting, and launch control.
I suggest that if you are not going to do track days, you don't need it, and you still get the fun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts