Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've posted about this, but have now created a video with audio to see if you all can tell me if what I'm hearing is normal or not for a BS.

Basically, there is a buzz around 3K RPM which I find annoying. It's not a deal in spirited driving, but if you have to shift or are cruising at that RPM it's very noticeable and I think I can even feel it. It's not as audible in the video as it is live but you can definitely hear it.

What do you all think? Do your cars do this?

Thanks for taking the time to check it out!

Fliz

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
hm, its like a change of exhaust tone when you hit 3000rpm.
Is this in sport or normal mode?
Have you disconnect the sound aktor?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hm, its like a change of exhaust tone when you hit 3000rpm.
Is this in sport or normal mode?
Have you disconnect the sound aktor?
Live you an really hear a metallic sound that's not present otherwise. So, yes, exhaust tone change but also adding this buzz.

It does the same thing in sport and normal mode. Standard exhaust (no PSE).

I have not disconnected the sound aktor....

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Live you an really hear a metallic sound that's not present otherwise. So, yes, exhaust tone change but also adding this buzz.

It does the same thing in sport and normal mode. Standard exhaust (no PSE).

I have not disconnected the sound aktor....

If your standing outside the car and having someone to play around the rpm you should hear it to.
If not then my cent is on the sound aktor.

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
@johan

Would you be able to post some pictures on how to disconnect the Soundaktor?

http://www.718forum.com/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/7698-soundaktor-sound-generator-3.html

You mentioned it in the above thread, but didn't follow through with any pictures. There were some text descriptions of how to do it... but pictures are so much better!

Apologies if you have already posted pics... but I couldn't find them on a forum search :(

Well i trashed my Boxster to avoid a Moose and have a Cayman now and the rear trunk does not look the same.
But on the left side the side lining just behind the Wheel has to be bent down all the way down.
When ju start to take the lining of/bend it down yuo will see the Cables just behind the wheel arch.

When you reach the bottom of the trunk there is a small styrofoam on the bottom you have to remove to be able to take the out the plug since its faced downwords.
Use a small screwdriver and press on the small lever and pull out the plug.

It looks something like this, you cant miss it!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fliz, if weather cooperates, I plan to capture the similar sound my CS makes at 2K this weekend. I plan to drive with a gopro mounted underneath to capture the sound a bit better. I'll post up here once I've captured it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fliz, if weather cooperates, I plan to capture the similar sound my CS makes at 2K this weekend. I plan to drive with a gopro mounted underneath to capture the sound a bit better. I'll post up here once I've captured it.
Great R Doug. Look forward to hearing this and maybe getting some action from Porsche.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I mounted the gopro on under the car just in front of the rear silencers. You'll hear as I roll on and off the throttle around 2K RPM, there is a loud rattle. Keep in mind the gopro is mounted just in front of the rear exhaust with PSE active. Notice how loud the rattle is compared to the exhaust. I know when I drive by parked cars, cuts in to rock on twisty roads, etc..., the rattle sound bounces back at the car giving me an indication on how loud it is from the outside. Of course, it's pretty pronounced in the cabin even with the windows up.

fliz, is this similar to what you're hearing with your car?

·
Registered
701 Posts
@R Doug I know that doesn't really help your issue but my car does not have this noise. Not normal, your dealer should find and fix the source of that rattle/sound.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fliz, is this similar to what you're hearing with your car?
Yes, very similar. I might have to get a gopro just to try this too...

Wonder if it's the same source though... my car is not PSE and does this with or without sport mode engaged.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's interesting on mine as it only acts up when PSE is active. If I shut off PSE, the noise stops.

·
Registered
701 Posts
With that info and video it should be pretty easy to figure it out at the dealer I would think. It does sound like there is something loose at the exhaust. Maybe it's a fastening bracket or the PSE exhaust flap thingy itself? afaik it opens up/closes right around 3K RPM when PSE on.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My local dealer had it for a week and the car ended up getting a whole new exhaust. I was told they called the factory and was told this is common and is not an issue. Okay, sure. Tell that to the people walking down the street hearing this "quality" car go by rattling like something is getting ready to fall off.

I think the biggest issue in finding the noise is the fact it only occurs under load. I cannot replicate it by simply revving it.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
<snips>I was told they called the factory and was told this is common and is not an issue. Okay, sure. Tell that to the people walking down the street hearing this "quality" car go by rattling like something is getting ready to fall off.
As if any quality manufacturer would let a design flaw like that through. H*ll, they even engineer the sound of the doors closing!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Wow :eek:
So they admit it's an issue and obviously get the whole exhaust change fix attempt approved by PCNA, hence PCNA agreeing that it is not normal. Then they fail to fix it and now it's just considered normal? Just wow...

Really hope you get this sorted out eventually.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I suspect the, "it's normal" is code for, "we haven't a clue how to fix it."

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did another audio recording of the vibration noise my car makes at 3000RPM that's a little easier to hear than my first posting. I also analyzed the audio clip to see how the frequencies changed during the noise and have included that in the video. You can clearly see the added frequencies where the buzz occurs as bumps in the spectrogram. For example, between 6.5-8s, 10s, 12-14s and 17-19s. It's still not as noticeable as live but the best I can actually record. Also, this was recorded when the car was stationary, but it also happens when moving.

Anyone else have something similar? I'm really trying to figure out if this is a design flaw or just a problem with some cars.

BTW - I contacted Porsche and they've asked me to get another opinion from a second dealer. Doing that later this month.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My local dealer had it for a week and the car ended up getting a whole new exhaust. I was told they called the factory and was told this is common and is not an issue. Okay, sure. Tell that to the people walking down the street hearing this "quality" car go by rattling like something is getting ready to fall off.

I think the biggest issue in finding the noise is the fact it only occurs under load. I cannot replicate it by simply revving it.
Sorry to revive this old thread, but did replacing the exhaust fix the issue? Mine is starting to make the same noise, but its intermittent, and I cannot replicate it. thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts