Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Anyone receive ”evil eye” or stare downs by bystanders on roads when in Sport Mode? Some people even wave to slow down... I think the crackles, pops, & backfire make people think I am driving harder than I am... Especially when they hear those pops as I go by on the road.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi guys. Anyone receive ”evil eye” or stare downs by bystanders on roads when in Sport Mode? Some people even wave to slow down... I think the crackles, pops, & backfire make people think I am driving harder than I am... Especially when they hear those pops as I go by on the road.
Yes, absolutely.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Some people even wave to slow down... I think the crackles, pops, & backfire make people think I am driving harder than I am
Yes, this drives me crazy. I am especially respectful of subdivision speed limits and children who might be around. I think the combination of "sports car, looks fast and sounds fast" makes people think you're speeding. It gets aggravating when they yell at you in a nasty tone of voice, and you're doing 15 mph :cautious:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't find my car to be as aggressive as some other models. A mate's Golf R is much more aggressive and pops more often. Mercedes 45 series engines are pretty aggressive. Even some Hyundai models. I like the fact that the porsches setup is in the middle range for aggressive noise and not too over the top.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would like the option to silence the pops and crackles in sport mode. I find myself not using sport as much because of the attention it draws. Would prefer flying under the radar to the "look at me" mode. If that's even possible in a guards red 718.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would like the option to silence the pops and crackles in sport mode. I find myself not using sport as much because of the attention it draws. Would prefer flying under the radar to the "look at me" mode. If that's even possible in a guards red 718.
Do you have Sport Chrono? If so, you could set your Individual Mode to mirror Sport Mode but without the pops. I drive in Sport Mode 99.9% of the time (mine is manual) and when I want to be quite I find that as long as I am keeping the RPMs low, it's not that bad, if at all, in regards to the pops etc. At most I get a low snarl as I'm slowing down.

You could also just hit the sport exhaust button in situations you want to fly under the radar. (y)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Do you have Sport Chrono? If so, you could set your Individual Mode to mirror Sport Mode but without the pops. I drive in Sport Mode 99.9% of the time (mine is manual) and when I want to be quite I find that as long as I am keeping the RPMs low, it's not that bad, if at all, in regards to the pops etc. At most I get a low snarl as I'm slowing down.

You could also just hit the sport exhaust button in situations you want to fly under the radar. (y)
Sport mode always comes with the pops even if you choose it in individual.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Select Sport Plus, deselect Sport suspension and Sports Exhaust if you like and away you go. This is the closest you can get to Sport Mode without the aural drama and pops and bangs. I have this as my chosen Individual setting using Sports Chrono.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The "other people" who disapprove of engine noises are often the folks who don't understand. Once I started out in my GT6 only to discover after a quarter mile through our residential area that the brake pedal went to the floor. Of course I turned around immediately and went home. I chose to drive in 1st gear to keep the speed down and provide the most engine braking. After half a block an elderly woman yelled at me "SLOW DOWN!" Of course I was only doing about 10mph. She was obviously reacting to the high revs (exacerbated by the higher pitch of a 6-cyl engine). My first instinct was to pull over and explain it to her. It would have been wasted breath. Had I gone by at four times that speed but in third gear (like so many of the soccer-parents in their subcompact Mitsusubarisshondoyotas or their SUV's of any variety) she would never have noticed.

Do I worry about the pops and clicks? Nah. I do worry about the volume drawing attention to myself when I am conspicuously pulling out onto a highway faster than everyone else who are already going 10 over. But I don't worry too hard.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is the PSE really so loud when in Sport mode?
With my non-PSE exhaust I can notice a difference in sound as compared to Normal mode, but i would never think it possible to be annoying for bystanders.

·
Registered
21 Posts
as a pedestrain When I see/hear a jap. sport bike yelling with its squeak voice I really get pissed off and say from myself “come on men what are you doing in the middle of the traffic” but when I see a Porsche screaming I like that voice and say “woww nice voice” and when I am driving my porsche I like to hear its screaming with pops and gurls so I guess I am alittle bit hypocritical in this matter:confused:

·
Registered
653 Posts
There are so many loud, lifted diesel trucks around here that my car exhaust is often drowned out. No one seems to give a rats butt about a few little pops.

·
Registered
111 Posts
No such problem around where I live. Supercars and hypercars are so commonly seen, the 718 is rather normal in comparison.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Our cars are quiet compared to 95% of the Harleys out there. With that said, I usually drive through our neighborhood in normal mode. I'd hate for the neighbors to think I was a hooligan or something!!😜

·
Registered
827 Posts
I don't drive in Sport for the very reason you cited - it draws attention and sounds obnoxious. I'm usually in Sport+ and on occasion, in normal.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts