Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for all the responses, friends.

I don’t have sports Chrono or PSE. I just get in my car, press sport, and enjoy!
Agree on most of sentiments here... Onlookers seeing the sports car + hearing sounds leads them to assume we as drivers have gone rogue. One part I think is that they don’t understand. Also, while I live in an affluent area, I think many of the people generally driving cars like these don’t really “drive” them - putting it in sport and using the acceleration. The other part could be is that the car is different - because it’s a driver’s car. Generally people have cars that are utilitarian. A 2-seat sports car doesn’t fit that image.

Think they just have to deal with it! If not, no worries, we can keep enjoying it. (At least for me, I enjoy the Sport mode - response in the cockpit and in my ears!

·
Registered
'18 718 CS, Pdk, Night Blue met. Agate grey int. 14 way H/V seats20" Carrera, PSE, PrmPkg
23 Posts
Was driving enthusiastically behind a buddy in an nice rural neighbor hood. His Z4-M40i popping away and startling the landscapers.
Residents out walking looked and then shook their heads in - sympathy?
Think I was under the radar in the CS with Sport off.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Now a days, pretty much every modern turbocharged sporty car has the artificial pops/backfire when lifting off throttle. I think most people thought it was cool a few years back, especially in lieu of the NA motors they were accustomed to, but now it just seems juvenile and unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Pops and gurgles come from another era. These were the hallmarks of a souped up engine sporting wild camshafts and having a 'sweet spot' from 3k rpm to the red line. You couldn't keep the beast alive in idle, so you gave it short stabs on the gas to keep it alive. You had to lift your foot off the gas if you didn't want to lose the clutch bearing, so you went vroom, vroom... At the end of every vroom, all the unburned gas started fireworks in the exhaust.

This is what our exhaust imitates (in the era of accurately metered air and fuel mixture), not the 'artificial backfires' of the other turbos. The hallmark of 'modern turbos' (call me Subaru Imprezza) is the wastegate opening with a 'woosh', when you lift your foot off the gas. A different beast...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Frankly, I don't care much one way or the other whether it pops or gurgles or whooshes. Nor if the idle is loping, as a flat 4 must do by decree of the laws of dynamic balance. What I do love is the rich baritone growl when I open the throttles. Yowza! I have no idea what that sounds like outside the car though.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Frankly, I don't care much one way or the other whether it pops or gurgles or whooshes. Nor if the idle is loping, as a flat 4 must do by decree of the laws of dynamic balance. What I do love is the rich baritone growl when I open the throttles. Yowza! I have no idea what that sounds like outside the car though.
Me and a fellow 718 GTS owner traded places a couple of times with high rev passes.
And the 4 pot do sound Really nice when you push it, as you said a baritone growl with alot of bit to it.

For those who wants to annoy people they pass, do it in sport, high revs and let go of the throttle just as you pass.
My friend did it and it sounded like gun being fired inside the throat of a giant thas has a cold, it even made me jump cause it was louder then i thought it would be.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Head turning? attention grabbing? People looking? That’s why I bought it :cool:

but no, in sports mode have plenty of lookers but not yet a ‘slow downer’, maybe I’m not trying hard enough;)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Head turning? attention grabbing? People looking? That’s why I bought it :cool:

but no, in sports mode have plenty of lookers but not yet a ‘slow downer’, maybe I’m not trying hard enough;)
If you push it hard above 5500 - 6000rpms and then let go it makes all kind of strange noises, a couple of bangs then alot of garble/resonans bludder and sometimes a bang more.

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
This whole thread makes me think of one thing:
No one complains about how loud 2-stroke ICE lawnmowers are.
The lesson: Everything is relative, and everyone is ignorant about something or other.
Keep Calm and Drive On! ;D

·
Registered
106 Posts
I never get stare downs, I get stares of admiration. 🤣

Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Registered
2017 718 Cayman S
3 Posts
Is this really an issue for our cars? I’ve only had our 718 CS for 2 months but have never gotten these responses. I also personally think this car is way too quiet, even with Sport mode. My wife and I miss the exhaust from our F-Type R and how aggressive it was; that thing ALWAYS got stares and responses, so maybe we’re jaded a bit.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I lift at high RPM's when driving under a bridge in sport mode...makes me giggle. Feels like a more honest way to operate the car than puttering around.

·
Registered
827 Posts
So the last few days and based on some comments about a more punchy throttle response vs Sport+, I've been driving in Sport mode exclusively. I'm still not a fan of the P&Gs, but have to admit the throttle response at the lower end of the RPM range feels more alive than in Sport+ at the same levels.

So I have a question. If a tune is employed, can the tune eliminate the P&Gs and still keep the response at the pedal the same or even improve it?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm assuming everyone commenting here has PSE. On my base, I have a PSE button that I can deactivate while still in Sport mode if I don't want the pops and gurgles. Am I missing something?

21 - 40 of 68 Posts