Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
While i haven’t tried deactivating PSE in sport mode, the burbles come from the tune and not the exhaust setting.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I'm assuming everyone commenting here has PSE. On my base, I have a PSE button that I can deactivate while still in Sport mode if I don't want the pops and gurgles. Am I missing something?
The pops and gurgles!...:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
653 Posts
While i haven’t tried deactivating PSE in sport mode, the burbles come from the tune and not the exhaust setting.
Humm! I don't have a tune but can get rid of the sound with a push of the button. Give it a try and see what you hear.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Sport has it coded so with/without pse it will make those noises.
I dont know if a tuner could delete them without touching the feel of sport mode.
But they can change the throttle respons, Apr does that.
And if the exhaust gets to hot they also delete the banging.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
According to my ears, the 3 718 i have owned and the manual says otherwise

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm not sure about that. It is noticeably quieter with the PSE button deactivated in my base, PDK equipped car.
Do you still have the Sound thingy active/connected? Does it get cancelled when PSE isn't selected?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm assuming everyone commenting here has PSE. On my base, I have a PSE button that I can deactivate while still in Sport mode if I don't want the pops and gurgles. Am I missing something?
I turn my PSE off a lot of the time while driving in "Sport" mode. It will still do the P&G thing on over-run, but the exhaust sound is not as loud as sport exhaust "on".

·
Registered
168 Posts
Humm! I don't have a tune but can get rid of the sound with a push of the button. Give it a try and see what you hear.
Sorry when I said tune I meant the oem engine mapping for sport mode, not an after market tune. The pops and bangs come from the engine programming in sport mode and are independent of the exhaust setting. While enabling PSE would amplify the sound, you should still be able to hear the pops even with PSE disabled as long as you are in sport mode.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I turn my PSE off a lot of the time while driving in "Sport" mode. It will still do the P&G thing on over-run, but the exhaust sound is not as loud as sport exhaust "on".
I guess I am not running at high enough RPM to notice 😕

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
You've owned 3 718s from 2016 till 2020? In parallel? Replaced with each other?
First there was 718 BS, that i trashed after a couple of months, i parked it between two trees trying to avoid a moose.
So i went for a 718 CS but after a year i missed the open air so i changed to a 718 B GTS.

Pics are found in the gallerie :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
First there was 718 BS, that i trashed after a couple of months, i parked it between two trees trying to avoid a moose.
So i went for a 718 CS but after a year i missed the open air so i changed to a 718 B GTS.

Pics are found in the gallerie :)

WOW. So much bad luck :-(
Hope you'll have the GTS for a long time!

Liked your accidents description :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would prefer an old fashioned muffler that removes all exhaust noise. I have no need for pops and gurgles to announce my driving by. Strange how society changes.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Pops and gurgles are some of the perks and giggles.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The main thing that bothers me about the burbles is how artificial it is as it sounds the same every time. Let off the gas, pop pop pop. Same every time.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The main thing that bothers me about the burbles is how artificial it is as it sounds the same every time. Let off the gas, pop pop pop. Same every time.
I nevr noticed that. But I have to ask, what are you doing letting off the gas? :)

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Hi guys. Anyone receive ”evil eye” or stare downs by bystanders on roads when in Sport Mode? Some people even wave to slow down... I think the crackles, pops, & backfire make people think I am driving harder than I am... Especially when they hear those pops as I go by on the road.
Yes, and I'd be one of the people. ...not so much "evil eye"...more like quiet disappointment. There's no performance advantage to that backfiring and it's just obnoxious in some situations.

I like Sport + with exhaust set to Normal. Nice idle sound, no backfire and nicer response from the car with minimal stability control intervention....perfect for me, even in the rain.

Sport and Sport + open the coolant thermostat at a lower temp. I like that for longevity of the oil and the engine. There is a slight mileage penalty but worth it IMO. I like the feel of Sport +. Backfire is as artificial as the Soundaktor...I unplugged mine the night I purchased the car.

:alien:

Reactions: CaymanMatt
41 - 60 of 68 Posts