I have a 2020 718 Boxster GTS

just got a Ctek charger, can someone tell me what mode I need to put it on
ie. No mode/ AGM mode/ Recond mode / or both AGM & Recond mode

Thanks in advance
Ray

·
Registered
197 Posts
FWIW, I have the Porsche branded version (it was given to me as a gift by the dealer). It doesn't have those modes, just a bike, car and Li-ion setting, so I'm just using the Car setting

·
Registered
158 Posts
Use AGM mode on my 7002.

You do not need Recon mode, (Should not)

Reactions: Mootee1966

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
136 Posts
Big thread where I asked here : What battery maintainer ? and how ? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

some notes from the thread , most people do NOT use AGM mode .
The manual for CTEK says “for some AGM batteries” .
The manual page shown about just stays “suitable for AGM batteries” not specifically use AGM mode. And the ctek manual says to use normal mode for “some” AGM batteries.
FWIW , seems like people have used both and no issues with either .

I use normal car mode myself .

·
Registered
718 Boxster S
67 Posts
Big thread where I asked here : What battery maintainer ? and how ? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

some notes from the thread , most people do NOT use AGM mode .
The manual for CTEK says “for some AGM batteries” .
The manual page shown about just stays “suitable for AGM batteries” not specifically use AGM mode. And the ctek manual says to use normal mode for “some” AGM batteries.
FWIW , seems like people have used both and no issues with either .

I use normal car mode myself .
I tend to follow the vehicle OEM advice as opposed to most people. If Porsche say use AGM mode for an AGM battery, I will use AGM.

Charging on normal will not do any harm to the battery or charger. CTEK max voltage on normal mode is 14.4V, while AGM is 14.7V. AGM batteries require 14.7V to charge to 100%. Normal will charge the battery, just not to 100%. It is still better than a flat battery...

The higher spec CTEK range have temperature compensation by means of a sensor placed on the battery and they are rated to handle higher voltage and current. The smaller charger are not.
For CTEK chargers without temperature compensation, they have a 'snowflake mode' which is designed for charging in cold environments. Snowflake mode also charges at 14.7V, which is why CTEK say it is suitable for AGM. But snowflake mode is not AGM mode. It is not a good idea to connect a smaller CTEK in snowflake mode in warm temperatures, and leave it connected for an extended period.

Below are two snips from CTEK user manuals. The flowflake one is from an older CTEK 3.6A charger. You will note the part about not using snowflake above 5 degrees.
The MXS10 has temperature compensation and will adapt the charge accordingly. AGM mode is for AGM batteries.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,556 Posts
Below are two snips from CTEK user manuals. The flowflake one is from an older CTEK 3.6A charger. You will note the part about not using snowflake above 5 degrees.
The MXS10 has temperature compensation and will adapt the charge accordingly. AGM mode is for AGM batteries.
BTW, 5C is 41F. FYI. I believe my condo's underground garage has never got as low as 41F in all the years I've lived here. So no snowflake setting for me!

Reactions: CaymanMatt

·
Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
223 Posts
i was using normal mode after i started plugging into the cig. port. i've had no observable
problems in that mode.
yesterday i switched back to the snowflake mode. seemingly getting the same response.
i still haven't figured out why the 7002 refused to charge when i originally was hooked to
the hardwire harness i made up to charge via the battery [+] terminal and the strut tower [-] location.
my garage is heated. i always keep it above 50degf. so the snowflake mode probably is
not appropriate for my AGM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts