Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
No. This first change is more for peace of mind when tracking, especially at COTA. Just lacked the time to have it done before the three day Austin Schnell Fest (HPDE) at the end of July. Depending on track days, I'll probably have it done every 6 to 12 months from now on.

Reactions: Payman

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't think Porsche would deny warranty claims against engine or GPF issues related to engine oil type used if it was done by a Porsche dealership. Not sure how they would prove that an incorrect oil formulation was the cause of any such failure.

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
408 Posts
C40 standard for all Porsche model since mid year 2019. I call two dealers in my area and neither knew of this. But hard to believe it is that critical. Who the **** knows!!

I have a supply of C40.

Mike

·
Registered
150 Posts
Interesting. I would have had no idea.

If SAPS are good for the engine (but not this particle filter) and C40 is lower SAPS, I wonder if you're sacrificing engine lubrication for saving the filters?

Does anyone know if an aftermarket exhaust like Soul removes this filter?

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
that's what I concluded with the change to C40 spec

in US, the GPF is not monitored by an 02 sensor as the other countries are; I'm changing out the Over Axle Pipes (4.0 engine) which will eliminate the GPF on my future '23 CGTS

(the US market models still have the "brick" inside the GPF)
how does that all work?

do all 2022-23 models in the USA 718's have those stupid woke filters? Boxster T, etc.?

·
Registered
2.0 Cayman PDK
200 Posts
So since I've removed the GPF on day one, I read this as A40 would be preferred to use as it's "better" for the engine than C40. Question?

The sticker in my trunk only says "use Mobile1 motor oil". No further specification.
I believe you could be correct, A40 might protect your engine slightly better than C40, as I understand it. That's my gut feeling.

Saying that, Europe has been using Low SAPS oils for a long time now (introduced by ACEA back in 2004), and nothing seems to have exploded/imploded unduly. I wonder if low-SAPS oils might use different (probably more expensive) additives instead, which are GPF friendly??

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I know this topic has been discussed previously, but after my experiences of the last few weeks wanted to provide an update. As many of you with 2022 and possibly 2021 Porsche 718's know, it is now required that we use Mobil 1 0w40 with the "C40" specification approved by Porsche. In Caymans, there is a yellow sticker in the rear hatch door (see photo below). The C40 is a new formula that is designed for newer vehicles with gasoline particulate filters. The older "A40" spec is only for older model vehicles without those particulate filters. Mobil 1 comes in two (at least) flavors of 0w40: Standard 0w40 that says "A40" approved on the back of the bottle and Mobil1 0w40 ESP X3 that states Porsche "C40" approved on the back of the bottle. I've attached photos of the EXP X3 C40 bottle below.

I don't want to disparage all Porsche dealers, but the three I have visited in the DC area (2 MD, 1 VA) are, at best, clueless. When I asked them if they had the Mobil 1 C40 oil in their parts department, they had no idea what I was talking about. "Yes we have Mobil 1 0w40" was the best I got. I asked if it was ESP X3 and they again went silent and finally said, "no, but its Porsche approved, so you're fine". When I asked them to read the back of the bottle, they all said "Porsche A40 approved". Only one dealer parts guy (Silver Spring) even knew there were two different Mobil 1's - A40 and C40 - that are Porsche approved. But his dealership didn't have the C40 available for sale.

I feel compelled to forewarn everyone that if/when they take their 2021 or 2022 718 in for an oil service, I believe there is a 80% or greater chance they are going to get A40 oil. The C40 is **** near impossible to find, and the service managers that I spoke with didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about until I walked them over to my car, showed them the yellow sticker and showed them a photo of the Mobil 1 0w40 ESP X3 bottle. So what the heck are they using in cars that require it??

Here's the good news. I just took delivery of two cases (6 quarts each) from a seller on Amazon that has it. Do a search on Amazon for Mobil 1 0w40 ESP X3 and it should come up. The Seller is listed as "1085 Corp". No idea who they are, and I was skeptical that I was going to get the correct oil, but as my photos show, I did. It wasn't cheap, $106 for 6 quarts, but it actually arrived in 48 hours today instead of the projected delivery date of September 15. BTW, AutoZone stores occasionally list the ESP X3 as in stock on their website. I called 7 stores in the greater DC area last night and 0 actually had it. AutoZone website is useless. I tried ordering it online, they charged my credit card and two days later got a notice of "not available" and a refund.

Even if you don't intend to ever do a DIY oil change, I strongly suggest you confirm with your dealer that they are using the correct oil for your car. The A40 and C40 are not backward or forward compatible. Even if I want my dealer to do the oil change, I would bring them the correct oil to use and demand a parts credit.

Sorry for the long ramble. Here are the photos confirming that I got the right stuff for my 2022 GTS 4.0:

View attachment 46898 View attachment 46899 View attachment 46900 View attachment 46901
Excellent information. This why forums can be SO valuable.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Interesting. I would have had no idea.

If SAPS are good for the engine (but not this particle filter) and C40 is lower SAPS, I wonder if you're sacrificing engine lubrication for saving the filters?

Does anyone know if an aftermarket exhaust like Soul removes this filter?
Yes, a "GPF-delete" aftermarket Over Axle Pipe (OAP) eliminates the GPF filter entirely from the Porsche 718 OEM exhaust system. I have the SOUL Resonated GPF-delete, Ceramic-coated OAP's installed on my 2022 Spyder with a Cargraphic 2-Mode Exhaust Valve Controller. Photos below of my SOUL Resonated OAP's. The last photo below shows a comparison between the 718 OEM OAP's with the GPF's compared to a SOUL NON-Resonated GPF-delete OAP. FWIW...the left and right side OAP's are quite different from each other as you can see in these photos.

I believe all my neighbors would attest to the fact the SOUL Resonated OAP's very definitely produce a more distinct sound when compared to the OEM OAP's with the GPF's.
Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Household hardware Hand tool
Automotive exhaust Automotive design Muffler Rim Wood
Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive tire
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle
Font Tool Auto part Bicycle part Metal

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well then it would have to go over the axle if that's the way the exhaust is routed stock, so I don't get why they add that language.

I don't think the 2022 S has these filters? I can't find a delete pipe for the S, only the GT4.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I don't think the 2022 S has these filters? I can't find a delete pipe for the S, only the GT4.
AFAIK the Base, T and S model year 2020 and later have the GPF integrated with the catalytic converter.
It grew in size from this:
Amber Cylinder Metal Natural material Fashion accessory

to this:
Cylinder Gas Auto part Machine Audio equipment

One would need to replace the downpipe to get rid of it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Found an interesting analysis of the difference between the two that mentions Porsche: Difference Between 5W40 and 0W40 | Ask Any Difference
OMFG
This article is mind-blowingly sh.it
Poor girl clearly has no idea at all about this topic. Mixing things up, copy paste probably from some random articles . Amazing.
Just checked the other oil comparison articles also on that website and the are really bad.

PS : please dont click them guys , do not generate more clicks..

·
Registered
917 Posts
Well then it would have to go over the axle if that's the way the exhaust is routed stock, so I don't get why they add that language.

its the delineation between the rear - engine 911 vs. mid - engine 718 / 981 / 987 / 986 models

- since the driveline is flipped around from the 911 orientation, the engine is ahead of the rear axle in a 718 and it has longer pipes that route over to the rear muffler

that's one of the reasons the GT3 4.0 used in the C GT4RS is rated 10hp down from the GT3 rear engine orientation - the longer OAP has a bit more restriction vs. the shorter runs in the GT3's layout

A 911 setup routes from the cat right into the muffler (albeit through a lot of curves in pipes) - the turbo / exhaust plumbing is a real maze in the 911 - there's a lot stuffed in the left and right sides that the rear bumper cover hides

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our BGTS also lacks a C-40 sticker. Regardless, the car is going in for warranty work an oil change on Oct 3, along with brake fluid replacement with Motul RBF600. Thus, I bit the bullet and just ordered two cases of Mobil 1 X3 C-40 from Walmart. Should be here by Sept 21. $200 for 12 quarts of oil was a little hard to swallow, but at least I'll know the car is getting the appropriate oil.
So since I've removed the GPF on day one, I read this as A40 would be preferred to use as it's "better" for the engine than C40. Question?

The sticker in my trunk only says "use Mobile1 motor oil". No further specification.
Same for my car: MY22 BGTS. No yellow sticker nor anything in the user's manual except "Use Mobil1"

21 - 40 of 78 Posts