Porsche 718 Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Way to go Ed!

Did you do the plastic bag over the filter housing to avoid the mess of oil getting on things?

It looks like the cross member and oil filter housing are in near proximity to each other from the YT videos I've seen
Yes! Used the one gallon zip lock bag around the oil filter housing after I loosened it up enough to turn by hand. Worked great! No runs, no spills, no errors. It was a bit of a tight fit to get the bag far enough up on the filter housing to catch everything, but still more room - and easier to see - than in my former 981. Once the oil filter is off the threads, it goes straight down and out, whereas on my 981, I still needed to wiggle it around a bit and the tilting would cause spillage.

I also avoided all of my past gremlins encountered over 13 DIY oil changes on my 981. I didn't accidentally lower the car onto misplaced jack stands, didn't forget to remove the oil pan from under the car, didn't drop the drain plug into the hot oil pan, etc. etc. Heck I almost want to do it again to see how much time I can shave off.....so if anyone with a GTS 4.0 in the DC area wants a cheap oil change, bring your own oil and filter and a bottle or two of a nice Pinot Noir. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Because of this thread I've been trying to figure out which oil I need for my wife's Macan S. The dealer did the first oil change in spring and she's +5,000 miles which is time in my book. This is even harder to figure out than the 718. I can't find a sticker besides "use Mobil 1" and have no idea if it has the particle filter.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Because of this thread I've been trying to figure out which oil I need for my wife's Macan S. The dealer did the first oil change in spring and she's +5,000 miles which it time in my book. This is even harder to figure out than the 718. I can't find a sticker besides "use Mobil 1" and have no idea if it has the particle filter.
I assume you checked the owners manual? In mine, it states 0w40 "C40".

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well I guess that would be a good place to look.

It splits countries by group 1 and group 2. USA is group 1. It then lists 3.0 liter V6 turbo engine as with or without particle filter (which I have no idea) but says Porsche C20 0W-20 oil is the fill for both.

Interesting is that if I'm in a group 2 country (most look to be 3rd world) I would use C20 if I had the particle filter and A40 if I don't.

·
Registered
2022 AGM Cayman 2.0 6M
951 Posts
Took my 718C for 2nd change. They didn’t have C40 on-site, Service Mgr seemed confused (shocker!) Re A40 vs C40. He said they used Motul A40 for my break-in oil change, but I remember the service ticket stating otherwise (I also emailed and emailed/called and called the owner to verify he had C40 available beforehand).

Long story short, Service Mgr said he learned something new (having worked for multiple Porsche dealerships) and what all local dealerships were using A40 because C40 wasn’t available. So… I do a quick search online while at indie and find Motul C40 available direct. I show the service manager and he then finds/orders it from the supplier. When I got home, I confirmed they used C40 based on the service report.

He ordered 10L for the change and I took the remaining home (I also ordered an additional 10L for myself from Motul).

Now I’m dealing with the weird oil gauge issue showing only mid-full even after a 20 mile drive home. It showed 3/4 full after the first change and eventually showed full a couple days later, so I’ll see in a few days.

Now I’m considering another highly repped indie… these visits should feel like so much work.

But, a pic in the flesh! Haha.

Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Automotive care Material property

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Took my 718C for 2nd change. They didn’t have C40 on-site, Service Mgr seemed confused (shocker!) Re A40 vs C40. He said they used Motul A40 for my break-in oil change, but I remember the service ticket stating otherwise (I also emailed and emailed/called and called the owner to verify he had C40 available beforehand).

Long story short, Service Mgr said he learned something new (having worked for multiple Porsche dealerships) and what all local dealerships were using A40 because C40 wasn’t available. So… I do a quick search online while at indie and find Motul C40 available direct. I show the service manager and he then finds/orders it from the supplier. When I got home, I confirmed they used C40 based on the service report.

He ordered 10L for the change and I took the remaining home (I also ordered an additional 10L for myself from Motul).

Now I’m dealing with the weird oil gauge issue showing only mid-full even after a 20 mile drive home. It showed 3/4 full after the first change and eventually showed full a couple days later, so I’ll see in a few days.

Now I’m considering another highly repped indie… these visits should feel like so much work.

But, a pic in the flesh! Haha.

View attachment 47489
Curious....What model year is your 718 and what does it say in the owners manual about oil weight? I have 2022 and manual says 0w40 only. I think someone who had a 2021 said the manual mentioned 5w40 as an acceptable alternative, depending upon climate.

I've heard that Motul is an excellent oil (some prefer to Mobil 1). Wish they made a 0w40.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
My sticker does read 0w40. I read where the 5w40 weight was better for warmer weather climates (I’m in FL). I was comfortable with the weight and making sure I focused on the C40 spec.
it is not better. in 1992 maybe with acid wash jeans. now, the best is that which instantly pumps and flows at all temperatures, not impacted by temperature. 0w is the best invention.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My sticker does read 0w40. I read where the 5w40 weight was better for warmer weather climates (I’m in FL). I was comfortable with the weight and making sure I focused on the C40 spec.
Please forget this climate related thing . We are not in the air oil cooled era anymore.

Always use the lowest number possible before the "w" even if and older user manual stated 10w (now it's the 0)
The only important is the number AFTER the "w" what has to be the specified AND the factory spec (like BMW , VW, Porsche, etc)

Don't forget , even if you live in Saud Arabia, starting the car after a day or so considered as a cold start . It's need the thinnest oil possible on the cold side (before "w")

·
Registered
2.0 Cayman PDK
200 Posts
I fully agree.

We all know you shouldn’t thrash your engine until it’s up to operating temperature, because we’re waiting for the engine oil to thin down for maximum protection/flow.

A 0w40 and 5w40 have the same protection/flow when hot, but the thinner 0w will protect/flow better after start-up, when most engine wear takes place.

(Also, I believe it’s impossible to make a 0w oil from mineral base stock. My understanding is 0w guarantees it’s synthetic, but I’m happy to be proven wrong.)

·
Registered
2022 AGM Cayman 2.0 6M
951 Posts
Good info, thanks everyone.

I can source the Mobil 1 0w40 as others have stated for my 1-yr free change this December and have no issues doing that for future changes moving forward. I’m certainly not wedded to any one brand, and definitely want to best protect the engine.

·
Registered
2022 AGM Cayman 2.0 6M
951 Posts
So here’s my latest question… I’m due for my 1-year service in Dec. I will have driven approx 5-6k miles on the Motul C40 5w40 oil.

I’ve ordered the Mobil 1 C40 0w40 in preparation for that visit. I’m now reading where the chemistry of the 2 brands could cause issues if mixed. Should I ask for a complete drain of the current oil at the next service? Is this really something to be concerned about? I’d use the Mobil 1 product from that point on. Or, if a serious enough issue to mix the 2 brands, even this early in the car’s life, should I stick with the Motul product?

Just looking for some thoughts/opinions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am sorry but where do you read this stupid things ?

During an oil change , there is no such thing that draining more . The drain plug will be removed (bottom) the oil will be drain . Only with disassemble the engine you could remove the last 2-3 deciliter (0.2 - 0.3 liter for example or 20-30 milliliter) from the engine. This is normal

Until the different oil brands are from the same manufacturer specification, you can mix them.
You can mix the C40 Mobil1 with Motul or anything else .

You can even mix 5w40 with 0w40 and brands if the specification (Porsche C40) is the same.

For example traveling , your car has Mobil1 C40 0w40 oil in it but don't have anything to top up. In a shop you find Motul C40 5w40.
Just buy it , put it there and done. They can mix.

That is also the reason you have to follow the factory specifications (Porsche bmw VW Mercedes whatever ) to make sure they are suitable to your car and they are the same.
The oil brand does not matter at all.

·
Registered
2.0 Cayman PDK
200 Posts
I have come across incompatible coolants in the past, but never incompatible engine oils.

I’d happily mix and match engine oils without a care (assuming the spec’s are correct). If you pop into a main dealer or Auto store for a top-up, they’ll never ask you which brand (or even grade) you’ve got in there currently.
So here’s my latest question… I’m due for my 1-year service in Dec. I will have driven approx 5-6k miles on the Motul C40 5w40 oil.

I’ve ordered the Mobil 1 C40 0w40 in preparation for that visit. I’m now reading where the chemistry of the 2 brands could cause issues if mixed. Should I ask for a complete drain of the current oil at the next service? Is this really something to be concerned about? I’d use the Mobil 1 product from that point on. Or, if a serious enough issue to mix the 2 brands, even this early in the car’s life, should I stick with the Motul product?

Just looking for some thoughts/opinions.

Thanks!

61 - 78 of 78 Posts