Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a buddy of mine took delivery of his C8. It's not as fat as I remember it being, which leads me to believe the Orange color on the pre production car I previewed was affecting my opinion. However, it still has a fat butt. But the Red seems to hide it better. C8 could have done without the whole trunk area in the back and had the proportions better.

Over all, it does seem to be an improvement in fit and finish over the previous. But it should for the added cost of admission. This car came in just over 87K. The whole 60K thing is so over hyped... I'd like to know the % of 60K vs. all others that were ordered.

Size difference between the two, Actually pretty close. I didn't bust out a tape and get technical but my eyeball measuring device was that the vette looked about 8 inches longer, much wider and total height was maybe, maybe an inch. Hard to tell on the drive incline.

Interior was the base seats (GT1) and IMO those were the ones to get. I called that one long ago when I seen the pre production car. He did have the 2LT package so everything was leather wrapped and it had most of the nicer options. Interior is pretty darn nice... a little cramped on the passenger side which is also something else I predicted from the pre production car. That darn column for the HVAC controls somehow made it past the bad idea test.

Over all... I want one! But will wait and see what the GS or Z06 has to offer.

These are the two pics I took. excuse the driveway pictures, the angle of the drive really skews the actual representation.

And these are the two pics he took.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I personally love the styling. It's really aggressive so it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like the value it presents to potential buyers. I can't wait to try one out in the future.

·
Registered
369 Posts
After watching Doug DeMuro's review of the C8 it is kind of growing on me, but I am guessing that it will become very expensive with the right options and before it is registered in Denmark.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Though it may be a step forward in terms of handling and performance, I think it's a step back in terms of aesthetics. It's too much of a departure from its heritage to still be a Corvette. They should have just called it something else and refined the C7 to it's full potential. I'd compare the decision to change the design and engine position to the Yankees moving out of the original Yankee Stadium and building a facsimile that can never replace the original in terms of heritage and home field advantage. Everything about it seems contrived and clunky. Nothing refined about it at all. Certainly not as refined as any European supercar in terms of design, fit and finish and even less refined than our meager 718s. Bad lines all over the place on that thing with a lot of gimmicky and contrived features. For me, it's still in the prototype stage. They can keep it and especially so at $90k.

Note: I based this on the DeMuro video where one can really see the details.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm waiting to see some actual product cars and how the fit and finish is. the quality of the leather sticking in the pre production car I sat in was poor - lines no even close to straight or matching up as you moved panel to panel. It's a pretty good looking car on the whole and I think looks better in person than in pictures for sure. The **** HVAC bar, panel, separator, however you want to call it is a real detractor for me. As a passenger sitting in it for a few minutes I was trying to figure out how I would ever be comfortable on a good length drive. yeah yeah, I know, who cares about the passenger in which case I point you to the ever true statement of "happy wife happy life". But in the end, the real test is how the car feels when driving it which is the main reason I purchased a boxster over a Z06. Can't argue the Zs performance over the Boxster, but the Boxster was just plan more fun everywhere all the time. Will the C8 change that? I'm somewhat doubtful because it's still fairly large and heavy.

But I think Chevy has an overall winner with the car and I'll certainly take one for a test drive and a couple years and if I like it, won't rule out moving from the Boxster to the Vette.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm waiting to see some actual product cars and how the fit and finish is. the quality of the leather sticking in the pre production car I sat in was poor - lines no even close to straight or matching up as you moved panel to panel. It's a pretty good looking car on the whole and I think looks better in person than in pictures for sure. The **** HVAC bar, panel, separator, however you want to call it is a real detractor for me. As a passenger sitting in it for a few minutes I was trying to figure out how I would ever be comfortable on a good length drive. yeah yeah, I know, who cares about the passenger in which case I point you to the ever true statement of "happy wife happy life". But in the end, the real test is how the car feels when driving it which is the main reason I purchased a boxster over a Z06. Can't argue the Zs performance over the Boxster, but the Boxster was just plan more fun everywhere all the time. Will the C8 change that? I'm somewhat doubtful because it's still fairly large and heavy.

But I think Chevy has an overall winner with the car and I'll certainly take one for a test drive and a couple years and if I like it, won't rule out moving from the Boxster to the Vette.
Agreed on the reasoning, I wasn't impressed with the Road Show cars. This one was much nicer, probably because it hasn't had a million butts in it!

I did notice in the license plate area the paint was complete schite. Everything else looked pretty good, but I would personally be wet sanding back there to level it out!

·
Registered
256 Posts
... Everything about it seems contrived and clunky. Nothing refined about it at all. Certainly not as refined as any European supercar in terms of design, fit and finish and even less refined than our meager 718s. Bad lines all over the place on that thing with a lot of gimmicky and contrived features. ...
I agree with GTS18BGTS. I probably am an outlier with this opinion but I see very angular and pointed lines. It has the appearance of a whiz bang space ship. That appearance has become common in late model cars and Lexus seemed to be the originator about 4 years ago with everyone else now including similar styling. My tastes strongly lean to the smooth sculptured lines and mostly curved surfaces as our Porsches have. In my eyes smooth flowing lines and curves are very elegant but the new Corvette is not at all elegant albeit eye catching. It has a very harsh appearance. I think this difference is very well illustrated in the excellent pictures attached to HooosierDaddy's post.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't choose it over the Cayman or Boxster, but the C8 does look better in person (IMO). Photos seem to lose something the eye see's.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Size difference between the two, Actually pretty close

The vette looked about 8 inches longer (it's 10"), much wider.
Does not compute. Within the category of 2 door sports cars that seems like a big size difference. Also, what 600lbs? I guess I'd have to drive them back to back but I can't imagine how the Vette doesn't look and feel bigger. I hate bigger.

Appearance wise, the Cayman seems just barely subdued enough that I could daily drive it (not in bright blue though). In any color the Vette just looks too supercar-ish. Then again, I don't live in a sports car area. In a different culture I guess people wouldn't think it so odd.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I see a fair number of C7 Vettes when I work in Germany, France, and Netherlands. I expect the C8 to do better. In recent years I've noted how many more American pick up trucks and muscle cars (I think just Mustangs?) I see in Europe. That and they have thoroughly embraced the large SUVs from Germany and Japan. Not really a good trend in my opinion but certainly a trend.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I see a fair number of C7 Vettes when I work in Germany, France, and Netherlands. I expect the C8 to do better. In recent years I've noted how many more American pick up trucks and muscle cars (I think just Mustangs?) I see in Europe. That and they have thoroughly embraced the large SUVs from Germany and Japan. Not really a good trend in my opinion but certainly a trend.
Could be a Swedish thing then, i have seen one C7 over here.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does not compute
I did say that I was using my high tech eyeball measuring device. For the cars not being equally parked on either end, I think I was pretty darn close and will take the WIN on that one!

The vette appeared to be about an inch shorter... but because of being on a hill it was pretty hard to tell. Maybe when he has it at the detail shop for PPF I'll line them up.

The added weight I assume is in the extra length, width and the 6.2L engine.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder if the C8 will be on the European market, we have like 0,2% American made cars.
It is suppose to be.

They even have RHD coming! I think if I were to order one, I'd want the GS or Z06 and I would request RHD just to make it different. I see Jeeps offered in RHD in the states, so no reason I couldn't request it on the vette.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It is suppose to be.

They even have RHD coming! I think if I were to order one, I'd want the GS or Z06 and I would request RHD just to make it different. I see Jeeps offered in RHD in the states, so no reason I couldn't request it on the vette.
Are you saying Jeep is will sell a US buyer a new RHD vehicle? This is not allowed in Canada, only 'used' RHD can be registered, all new vehicles must be LHD.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts