Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So somehow my car received a scratch about 6-7 inches long in the front fender. It isn't a deep scratch, but you can see it and if you run your finger nail over it you can feel it as well. According to the dealer a body shop would be able to buff this out. In about 20 years of Porsche ownership this is my first scratch, so I have no experience with this. Is it true that this could be buffed out? Or would that make it worse, ending up with a huge smudged mess on the fender? (The color is Sapphire Blue if that makes a difference.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
The depth and location of the scratch can make a pretty big difference in whether or not it can be buffed out. Don't think there is anyway that buffing it would make it worse, but it might not help either. Post a pic when you get the chance.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are two pictures. Getting a good picture was difficult because of lighting and reflections. But hopefully this gives some sort of idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How did this happen.......was it keyed? Hope not.
Not positive. I saw it a few days ago when I was changing to summer wheels.

You don't really see it unless you are within a few feet. But now I know it is there I see it all the time!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Not positive. I saw it a few days ago when I was changing to summer wheels.

You don't really see it unless you are within a few feet. But now I know it is there I see it all the time!
Try a paste car wax first. No circular motion. Rub the wax in with an applicator in front to back motion and see how it impacts it. I was at a cars and coffee with my Shelby GT350 a few weeks after I got it and a woman looking at a car parked next to mine rubbed her purse that she had over her shoulder against the fender leaving a scratch not unlike yours. I hit it with the paste wax about three times and it was all but gone. I can only see it now in very bright LED lighting, and only if the angle is just right. Also make sure your applicator is clean and damp.

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
I'd be going to a GOOD paint detailer to get it 'gone'. As long as it is only in the clear coat it should be possible, and it is also likely to be inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Here are two pictures. Getting a good picture was difficult because of lighting and reflections. But hopefully this gives some sort of idea.
Let us know how effectively this is resolved. The only issue I see is that the scratch appears white at its base, may just be the angle though, just concerned it could be down to the primer coat. Hopefully, with the help of a qualified detailer it can be polished out. Trying to touch that up with any kind of filler paint application would make things worse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you can feel it by gently moving your finger nail or finger across it, it most likely cannot be removed completely by polishing correction as it's likely to deep into the clear coat. However, you can polish it into a diminished state so you can't see it very well. Depending on how aggressive you wish to have them attempt correcting, they can do a spot wet sanding with diminishing grit automotive paint sandpaper, and/or polish with correcting compound and then finishing polish with a DA machine. Most likely this can be corrected to the point of barely seeing it at all. If you don't wish to do this, you could try a filler glaze and top it with a sealant or wax. Chemical Guys Glossworkz Glaze for example. The latter solution won't be as good and only lasts as long as the glaze and covering wax is there, but thats cheap and doesn't reduce your clear coat depth as well as something you can do yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts