Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
What are anti-humidity bags? Sounds like a good thing
Desiccants... you know, all those little bags packed in with just about everything you buy. You can either collect them throughout the year from all your purchases (keep them in a dry sealed bag) to place in the car later or buy them online.

You could also just get clay kitty litter and leave it in an open plastic container in the car. Exactly the same effect with much less fuss... just don't leave a window down, the cat might climb in and make a mess in his newly found poop bucket!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had an in-person appointment yesterday that I couldn't postpone, so I took my CGTS. I hadn't driven the car in a couple of weeks and had a lot of valve noise that persisted for several minutes. I thought of it as the German engineers "tisk tisking" me for letting the car sit for so long. :LOL:

·
Registered
2018 718 Boxster GTS
3 Posts
I'm in the Boston area (like Jim) and had to drive a distance to pick-up some medicine for the family. It felt great to get out; the GTS just had its Spring Service. Although this is a horrible turn of events, the lack of traffic volume (one of Boston's most famous attributes) was refreshing. Reminded me of driving in the 80s. But now the car is back on the battery conditioner, because the stay home advisory has begun. Local PCA chapter also has cancelled our annual Spring Ramble weekend. The fall is certainly going to be full of rescheduled events (here's hoping all is back to semi-normal).

·
Registered
702 Posts
There is a VERY pricy food market in Laguna Beach that I may go to in the Boxie...Normally about 20 miles from home, but I'm sure that I could make it 50 miles if I take the long way thru the hills!;)
Not my usual, but since the roads are rather clear, I'm doing all of my errands in the Porsche and taking the long route to get them done. I'm visiting markets that would normally be out of the way, but it's more fun to take the long way home ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Desiccants... you know, all those little bags packed in with just about everything you buy. You can either collect them throughout the year from all your purchases (keep them in a dry sealed bag) to place in the car later or buy them online.

You could also just get clay kitty litter and leave it in an open plastic container in the car. Exactly the same effect with much less fuss... just don't leave a window down, the cat might climb in and make a mess in his newly found poop bucket!
@chester7, yes, what HooosierDaddy said, "Desiccants", couldn't think of the word. I use four of these. Although I get a bunch of little ones in things I order, these are easy to store and use.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
@chester7, yes, what HooosierDaddy said, "Desiccants", couldn't think of the word. I use four of these. Although I get a bunch of little ones in things I order, these are easy to store and use.
I suspect you are not using enough.... I only use the "saved" packets in my Ammo cans, Safe and gun cases because of their size. Well... I use to, you know, before the boating accident!

Desiccants have a Unit number per square foot for proper use. 1 unit protects 0.6-0.8 cubic feet. Just the trunk area on a Cayman is 9.7 cubic feet, which translates to almost 16 units. My high-tech eyeball measuring device guess for the entire cubic feet of the interior will be around 100 cubic feet? That would require 160 Units. 80 unit bags go for about $10 each, assuming you can find someone to sell individual bags since they are normally sold by the bucket or drum.

or

$5 for 15lbs of clay kitty litter or clay oil dry is your best bet! If those bags are just the paper style, it should breathe and you can just leave in the trunk. No plastic bags... they don't breathe.

or

You could also use Rice, but I wouldn't know how to calculate it's usage. Rice is cheap, buy a couple 5lb bags (not that you can get it right now) and dump into an old pillow case (so it can breathe) and place in the trunk.

·
Registered
659 Posts
That could be the case, however, after a year of ownership and use, they seem to be working well. There was a 911 stored in our garage and after being ignored for a year or so, it had a minor but annoying amount of mold develop. The fan in that area of the underground garage had not worked for some period of time before being fixed. So I don't think there is a lot of humidity building up in the garage normally. Anyway, the blue dots are supposed to turn pink when they need to be microwaved back to dry and mine haven't changed yet. Also, my allergies to mold and mildew are another warning mechanism that haven't alarmed yet. I place one each in the rear well, on top of the engine cover and on each seat. If it ever gets ugly, I'd buy another set of four and double up, with the front extras going on the floor.

·
Registered
415 Posts
We’re on lockdown starting tomorrow. I’m essential so I get “papers” to carry with me and can travel freely. Don’t know if I want to though!

Never thought I see the day that a man with a machine gun is asking for my papers. What the actual [email protected]$K? This shits crazy!
Travel papers are usually reserved for you to be traveling to do that essential service, not site seeing... just saying.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don't see why driving around in your car by yourself would not be allowed. You are not going to spread/catch covid-19 that way. It is basically the same thing as staying in your house.
Considering that the emergency services are already overwhelmed dealing with Covid-19 wouldn't it seem 'reasonable' to reduce the chance of getting into an accident and requiring those services?

This goes for other skill/risk activities like rock climbing, back country hiking or downhill skiing to name a few.

Come on people this is serious, it is time to stay home and chill, a little temporary loss of personal freedom to move about will not kill you, but Covid-19 and exposure or spreading it can! :eek:

·
Registered
369 Posts
In Denmark we can still move around freely, we are however encouraged to stay at home as much as possible and to work from home if possible.
Most workers in the public sector have been sent home, and schools are closed.
Restaurants (except from take-out) and some shops are however closed and there are many restrictions but most are technically more recommendations rather than actual legal bans.
I and the others at the company I work at however still go to work every day and so does a lot of people in the more "productive" sectors, I can guess that some sectors would have an easier time working from home than others.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Travel papers are usually reserved for you to be traveling to do that essential service, not site seeing... just saying.
My services are essential and my comments was in jest. I'm not out sight seeing, I'd rather not be out at all! In fact, I took my 718 and put it away in storage during this time.

Surprising the amount of people that just don't give a flying F and are out doing the normal rigamarole around here.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Surprising the amount of people that just don't give a flying F and are out doing the normal rigamarole around here.
Same here. It will be surprising if this issue doesn't become much more problematic. Astonished by the care-free attitude I'm seeing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My services are essential and my comments was in jest. I'm not out sight seeing, I'd rather not be out at all! In fact, I took my 718 and put it away in storage during this time.

Apologies, sometimes 'jest' is hard to decipher in the written word... I too am part of essential services.

Same here. It will be surprising if this issue doesn't become much more problematic. Astonished by the care-free attitude I'm seeing.
Some of us get it and there are those that don't or think it doesn't apply to them. IMHO I think that the time for suggested isolation has past and it now has to be ordered.

·
Registered
716 Posts
We staying put at home as we have done for over a week now.
And we are prepared to keep this up for months.

My wife has been busy running online classes for a women's exercise program she teaches.
I'm building another race car (modeled after this one) and have been busy in my garage with that. I actually pulled the differential out of the car this morning (I'm taking a lunch break right now).

We have been having groceries delivered but the service we use has become overwhelmed. We did a little checking with neighbors and discovered our local supermarket isn't too crowded around 9:30 AM. So I drove over there this morning in the Porsche, put on my mask and gloves and did a quick in-and-out, keeping as much distance from others as possible. Driving in our town is weird. Many stores and businesses closed. I'm in suburban New Jersey where there is normally lots of people and activity. Now it's a bit like Chernobyl after the melt-down.

This is a serious situation. I know of two people I race with that have died from coronavirus (both were older and had other medical issues.....but still...)
Prime Minister Modi just put one-fifth of the people on this planet on lock-down. I'm sure he didn't make the decision lightly.

·
Super Moderator
1,442 Posts

We all need to wake up, the shιt is real!

The death curve for the US is somewhat faster than exponential, for practical purposes we can assume it is exponential.

In March 14th I did some extrapolations (which assumes that the social distancing measures have limited results and no serious lockdown).

At the time, we had 57 dead in the US.

The data extrapolation showed 100 dead by March17 (we had 109)

1000 dead by April 3 (does anyone doubt we will hit that number when we have 419 by March 22 (yesterday)?

10000 dead by April 15 (nothing certain but death and taxes).

If you get it, the trend is one order of magnitude more deaths every 2 weeks. 100,000 dead by the end of April?

Pray to wherever you believe that we will get our act together and slow down this thing, so it does not become a conflagration that will consume us all.
On March 14 I did the projection that if the 'death curve' is exponential, we will hit 1000 dead by April 3.

On March 23 (2 days ago people) I redid the graph/extrapolation and the 1000 mark was moved forward to March 27-28!

Today, March 25, it looks like it will hit 1000 either tomorrow or early March 27...

My March 23 projection shows 10,000 dead by April 9 and 100,000 by April 23. An increase of one order of magnitude every two weeks.

I am not doing this to spread fear. The projections assume that we do nothing, or that our measures are ineffective like Italy, where they went to 'social distancing' and then 'lockdown' and the disease is running rampant.

Obviously, China's severe lockdown points to more effectiveness than Italy's or Spain's.

This means, it's up to us on how effective we can make the lockdowns

don't be lulled if your state doesn't show many people getting the sickness. Some may be to less testing, as we didn't have enough test kits early on. But, once you have some cases, you will get more. It is likely that those states with fewer cases are on some delay, but the disease is so infectious, that once started it takes draconian measures to stop it.

Lets hope that our researchers will find some medicines and ultimately a vaccine.

In the meantime,

Stay home, stay safe.

·
Registered
557 Posts
My daughter is in Broward, Co FL, a current hot spot in Florida. A co-worker who she has been around has all symptoms but the co-worker can't get tested due to age. Her live-in boyfriend is a cop and will get tested because she is symptomatic. If he is positive, she will be tested. Go figure! This is a total cluster anyway you analyze it, at least in Florida. Best to all and best to take care of yourself as it doesn't seem anyone else will. Be safe.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
On March 14 I did the projection that if the 'death curve' is exponential, we will hit 1000 dead by April 3.

On March 23 (2 days ago people) I redid the graph/extrapolation and the 1000 mark was moved forward to March 27-28!

Today, March 25, it looks like it will hit 1000 either tomorrow or early March 27...

My March 23 projection shows 10,000 dead by April 9 and 100,000 by April 23. An increase of one order of magnitude every two weeks.

I am not doing this to spread fear. The projections assume that we do nothing, or that our measures are ineffective like Italy, where they went to 'social distancing' and then 'lockdown' and the disease is running rampant.

Obviously, China's severe lockdown points to more effectiveness than Italy's or Spain's.

This means, it's up to us on how effective we can make the lockdowns

don't be lulled if your state doesn't show many people getting the sickness. Some may be to less testing, as we didn't have enough test kits early on. But, once you have some cases, you will get more. It is likely that those states with fewer cases are on some delay, but the disease is so infectious, that once started it takes draconian measures to stop it.

Lets hope that our researchers will find some medicines and ultimately a vaccine.

In the meantime,

Stay home, stay safe.
I thought a new med was approved for generic manufacturing that was showing good results. Can't remember if it was Chloroquine or the Malaria treatment. Hopefully we can get more of that out to critical people and get them on the mend.

41 - 60 of 141 Posts