Porsche 718 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 177 Posts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Found this:

Source: Doctor, former Kansas governor says coronavirus patients 'doing better' in testing with anti-malaria drug

Anti-malaria drugs ike hydroxychloroquine -- which are being used to treat coronavirus (COVID-19) patients -- are showing positive results, former Kansas governor and practicing surgeon Dr. Jeff Colyer said Wednesday.

Appearing on "America's Newsroom" with host Ed Henry, Colyer said that data from testing at the University of Kansas and in the Kansas City community have proven the drug to have a "safe safety profile."

"I'm one of those people that has had both the white coat and the blue coat on as a policymaker, and it is an important balance," he explained. "[The] white coat in me would love to have more standardized tests with this. However, we have a lot of data, and in fact, about 21 percent of all prescriptions in the United States are used off-label."

"We now have a couple of studies, really, they're large case reports, that show that people who were on this medication have fewer symptoms and are doing better," he continued further. "We're going to be getting a lot more data over the next couple of weeks."

That said, Colyer noted that this was the only drug physicians could turn to at the moment.

"But, the important thing is as a policymaker you are wanting to help people. As a doctor, I want to help people as well, but we have to get them the right drug. And, this is, frankly, the only one that is in our arsenal," he told Henry.

"As I like to say -- or the old saying is -- you know, you go to the war with the army you have, not the army you wish you had," Colyer said.

The doctor concluded that while policymakers would make their own decisions on how to proceed, this is one of the "few options that we have."

·
Super Moderator
1,455 Posts
You can read what CDC says about it:

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

I 've read elsewhere that the two chloroquines did well in Petri dishes but not significantly well on mice.

However, a highly respected epidemiologist from France (Dr. Didier Raoult) is reporting success with these medicines. Google the name up.

I hope with all my heart that they find something even just to slow this beast down!

We will reach 1000 deaths either today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
720 Posts
As of three days ago, a team of international researchers had 69 drugs under consideration. The medical community has been all-hands-on-deck as far as looking for a cure or a vaccine.

There's a lot of good fact-based info in This Article.

But part of the problem is that some of these drugs may either be ineffective or can have very dangerous side effects. There is already a report of a person who died as a result of self-prescribed chloroquine.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said that there was only “anecdotal evidence” that chloroquine might work.
Fauci said only well-run trials could establish whether chloroquine was safe and effective against the coronavirus. Well run drug trials are time consuming; you can't run them fast.

Sunday, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York announced that NY state had obtained enough chloroquine and the antibiotic azithromycin to start its own drug trial. Good. The more people working on this, the better.

I truly hope that these trials or other research methods will have good results. But it looks like it will take some luck and a fair amount of time before we see anything that is proven safe and effective.

·
Registered
354 Posts
In MA most things are shut down. We can drive to grocery stores, pharmacies and get drive through food. I want to be safe but staying at home is not fun. A short drive to get food is fine IMO and is allowed. The walk through the grocery or pharmacy is where the risk is and my wife is getting more nervous. But how long can we stay in? If it clears in MA all it takes is an infected person or two from NYC or somewhere to start the whole nasty process again. We need some good news soon. Health is priority but what happens if the economy collapsed? That’s a distinct possibility. Not everyone has the financial wherewithal to survive months without income. This sucks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here in New Jersey, driving is only allowed for necessary tasks such as food shopping or doctors visit. We're on 24 hours curfew. Our governor sounded serious today when he said police would be spot checking drivers and if someone didn't have a good reason for being out and about they could risk arrest.
It's not fun, but to be fair, it's the best way we currently have to stop the spread and give the hospitals some relief.
The college I worked at is setting up a drive-thru testing facility in the parking lot.
One of my racing friends owns a small factory that is now empty. He has offered it to the local hospitals for as long as they like, if they need extra space.
I'd say it's all hands on deck around here.
I live on a road that is moderately busy most days. Mostly, all I see now is police cars and mail trucks.
That's not exactly true; after 8 PM, yes, but during the day, you can drive about. I took my 718B out yesterday for 30-40 minutes just to get some air. I'm from the Princeton area and luckily have everything we need, and since I work from home normally this isn't too much of an inconvenience, except for the fact that my wife and 21 yo son are here full-time now, too!

·
Registered
259 Posts
There's a lot of good fact-based info in This Article.
The link referenced above is an excellent link from the New York Times. Unfortunately the NYT requires a log in account to read it after you have looked at some limited number of their articles. A work around (at least with Firefox) is to hit the print page button then click "Simplify Page" and the full text will magically and clearly appear on screen. I really wanted to keep this my little secret so the NY Times (and Washingting Post et al) do not fix it. However, it pisses me off that reputable news outlets do not make information on this health crises readily available but treat it like all other articles by forcing users to establish an account.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Just posted about a group drive in the mountains in Georgia, USA. Most people working from home where they can and some other local restrictions, but no prohibitions on driving yet.

R.O.:

REMEMBER that you can spread it BEFORE you have symptoms....and it's 3 times more contagious than flu.

You know, "group" anything is probably not a great idea. People are leaving NYC now because the virus is everywhere. They're going to CT, NJ etc to avoid infection. Guess what? It's spreading to CT and NJ. Louisiana got it right after Mardi Gras and now they're thick with it. Same thing will happen with GA or anyplace else that allows group activity from out of the state.

That said, there's no harm in going for a drive in your own car and coming home. Drive conservatively. This is not a good time to have an incident with injuries. Medical facilities are a mess. This shite is real. Keep your distance, don't touch your face. Wash your hands...a lot. Think about what you touch. Everyone should treat everyone else like they're already infected.

Stay safe and let this thing die out.

:cool:

·
Registered
720 Posts
The link referenced above is an excellent link from the New York Times. Unfortunately the NYT requires a log in account to read it after you have looked at some limited number of their articles.....
You can also type the article title into Google (or a close approximation of the title) and typically the first link will be what you are looking for.

When you enter the NY Times via Google, you have free access to that article.

I was actually going to do it in my original comment but decided against.

Here try THIS to see if it works.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Considering that the emergency services are already overwhelmed dealing with Covid-19 wouldn't it seem 'reasonable' to reduce the chance of getting into an accident and requiring those services?

This goes for other skill/risk activities like rock climbing, back country hiking or downhill skiing to name a few.

Come on people this is serious, it is time to stay home and chill, a little temporary loss of personal freedom to move about will not kill you, but Covid-19 and exposure or spreading it can! :eek:
My lovely bride and I are in the high risk group. We concur, COVID-19 is quite dangerous, so we are taking great precautions and will continue to do so.

Auto accident risk is incredibly minute in our rural area...99.99% deer or foul weather related. Provided the weather remains dry, I plan on XC mountain biking this Saturday & Sunday at Texas’ finest trail (Flat Rock Ranch). Will travel alone and experience effectively zero traffic over the 40 mile round trip. And, most important, I’ll ride alone...my choice, most prudent given the circumstances...and will remain 20’ from everyone.

Sure, I could endo, nail a cow/goat, ride off a ledge, slam a rock, or wrap myself around a tree (I am a magnet 🤪, therefore I crash)...effectively the same odds as getting a rattlesnake bite during yard work (yes, they are already out here), falling off a ladder removing recently fallen Live Oak leaves from roof gutters, brown recluse spider bite doing spring cleaning, slamming my head on the shower floor, etc.

My activity of choice might be different in NYC or San Francisco. Who am I kidding...it would be moving to the Texas Hill Country.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The idiot drank fish tank cleaner, the only thing to report is that people can be stupid.
Or we could just say it's a shame that a man died for poor judgement.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Massachusetts isn't in lockdown yet except for Provincetown on Cape Cod and Nantucket. People are being strongly encouraged to exercise social distancing. I see where the number of new cases in Middlesex county where I live grew more slowly yesterday, which is to say the curve is flattening at least here. This is the county where the Biogen conference spread it to quite a few unsuspecting guests.

I confess to be mildly bothered by the fact that Nantucket has lockdown. How does it move to an island that far offshore? Some idiot decided he had to travel to his beachhouse, I guess. Or else go home after visiting the mainland. Provincetown is almost the same, perhaps the source of the Nantucket case. Out on the end of the earth someone had to go there anyway.
The problem is NYC is rife with it and people are going to vacation homes etc to escape....and they already have it but no symptoms. It can be spread before symptoms show up. Nasty.

·
Registered
720 Posts
That's not exactly true; after 8 PM, yes, but during the day, you can drive about. I took my 718B out yesterday for 30-40 minutes just to get some air...….
Mmmmm. I know you can get away with driving around. I have no doubt about that.

But the NJ governors order (EO#107) is pretty clear that your driving should be related to a fixed set of tasks that are outlined in the order. I realize it's basically Scouts Honor . But we are supposed to be abiding by it.

Here's an easy to follow summary of EO#107 from my local county office, including reasons for leaving your home.

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Folks,
My son and I took the cars for a 500km blast on Sunday as we didnt know exactly when we might be able to give them a run in the future here in Sydney.

Drove them to Bathurst, regional NSW, via some great backroads, to one of the great Racetracks of the world. Its an open road when there are no events on. I haven't be there for a little while and wow what a track.

Overall awesome day - the GTS is the background as my son was the photographer !

Stay safe everyone !

Cheers,

Craig
C_B_1.jpg
C_B_2.jpg
C_B_3.jpg

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
In MA most things are shut down. We can drive to grocery stores, pharmacies and get drive through food. I want to be safe but staying at home is not fun. A short drive to get food is fine IMO and is allowed. The walk through the grocery or pharmacy is where the risk is and my wife is getting more nervous. But how long can we stay in? If it clears in MA all it takes is an infected person or two from NYC or somewhere to start the whole nasty process again. We need some good news soon. Health is priority but what happens if the economy collapsed? That’s a distinct possibility. Not everyone has the financial wherewithal to survive months without income. This sucks.
"The walk through the grocery or pharmacy is where the risk is and my wife is getting more nervous. But how long can we stay in?" Can't you go for a walk without touching things and people? Getting out is good for people. There's no place in the US where you can't take the dog for a walk. We don't have a dog...but I can sure go for a walk. That's different than a basketball game, group picnic, etc. Hanging with groups of acquaintances is what spreads it.

If we can put up with this for a month or two, it will slow down.

I run a business making essentials. We're allowed to work. I went home today because not feeling well. Sore throat and swollen glands. No fever, no respiritory problems. Some sinus. I don't know what it is but don't need others to get it with Covis in the air. I'm working at home as much as possible now. If I go in, I'll. wear a mask and gloves.

Still not afraid to go for a drive in the Cayman...round trips only.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Hi Folks,
My son and I took the cars for a 500km blast on Sunday as we didnt know exactly when we might be able to give them a run in the future here in Sydney.

Drove them to Bathurst, regional NSW, via some great backroads, to one of the great Racetracks of the world. Its an open road when there are no events on. I haven't be there for a little while and wow what a track.

Overall awesome day - the GTS is the background as my son was the photographer !

Stay safe everyone !

Cheers,

Craig
View attachment 26039 View attachment 26040 View attachment 26041
Great stuff and it feels great to get out...but mind the risky behavior...Paramedics and cops have their hands full...Be careful, all.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Here try THIS to see if it works.
Unfortunately "THIS" did not work for me. I am reasonably certain the number of times I have accessed NYT articles (usually through Google News) is recorded in my cookies. Someone exceeding whatever their free limit for not logging in will get the 'you must either log in or get lost' pop up that blots out the page below it. Thanks for trying and thanks for that excellent link.

61 - 80 of 177 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.