Porsche 718 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Unfortunately "THIS" did not work for me. I am reasonably certain the number of times I have accessed NYT articles (usually through Google News) is recorded in my cookies. Someone exceeding whatever their free limit for not logging in will get the 'you must either log in or get lost' pop up that blots out the page below it. Thanks for trying and thanks for that excellent link.
I wonder if this is a cookie thing for you (or for me). I have a NYT membership so I wouldn't see the problem, but I've seen notices when I log in that they are offering all the Covid-19 coverage free. Not logged in, and going from the Google link, I was able to get to 8 articles without issue, including the maps.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I wonder if this is a cookie thing for you (or for me)…...I've seen notices when I log in that they are offering all the Covid-19 coverage free......
Yes. The free coronavirus section you mentioned should be available on This Link.

·
Registered
201 Posts
UK, Yorkshire, tweets from local police advising of impending road checks (and live on the tv now) as too many were driving miles to areas to then just go for a walk. Walk from home round the block if it’s a walk they want.
Problem with thinking that driving is like being at home, ie a form of self isolating, but it’s the requirement to visit fuel stations and the problems therein that is inevitable. Stay at home!

·
Registered
415 Posts
UK, Yorkshire, tweets from local police advising of impending road checks (and live on the tv now) as too many were driving miles to areas to then just go for a walk. Walk from home round the block if it’s a walk they want.
Problem with thinking that driving is like being at home, ie a form of self isolating, but it’s the requirement to visit fuel stations and the problems therein that is inevitable. Stay at home!
Some people simply don't get it, putting everyone at risk to go for a walk?! I see local clubs going on drives, simply because they have not 'yet' been told that they can't, selfish behaviour at a minimum and pandemic spreading at the worst!

Failure to heed the requests to stay home for all but essential travel will spread this virus even faster, for regular people this means food and medicine, nothing else. First responders and those who perform maintenance and repair on essential systems are the only ones that should be moving about.

It is high time to take the seriously!

·
Registered
256 Posts
The Florida Governor (DeSantis) is not someone with good leadership qualities and his judgement just plain sucks. As a result, the counties are all making their own inconsistent decisions and, IMO, Florida, as a whole, has been way too slow adopting the harsh measures needed to control this threat. Even the many beaches were irresponsibly much too slow to be closed (and this is said by a regular beach goer). I live in a gated community integrated with a still open golf course and yesterday I saw golfers crowded together at tees and on golf carts. For ostensibly smart people how can they be so incredibly stupid especially when there is one reported COVID-19 case in my community of 850 homes? Although this person has not been identified, it was reported by the HOA she has socialized in the Club House within the past two weeks. Nevertheless, I drove home last night about 9:15 PM and it was very eerie being the only car on the road for almost all of the 11 mile trip.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Father in Law texted last night (10:30pm) that while "out for ice cream" he was almost in an accident. This old fart says we should all be careful out there because you never know what a dumb person driving with no lights might do??? My wife laid into him pretty good, they will not stay in and out all the time! Wants to visit everywhere he normally does and stops in unannounced.

I need to go out... I'm just a supplier of PPE, Chems/Disinfectants and other supplies (TP has been popular), but were running into logistical issues forcing me on the road... no doctor or anything really important!

What I see on the roads is Old people looking for a place to get breakfast, brunch, dinner, supper... whatever you call it. They are so set in their ways they can't seem to help themselves. Next up are the "meth heads" as I refer to them, don't look like they're going to work or ever had a job, but they are in their car that wouldn't pass a DOT inspection 20 years ago let alone today. They scare the **** out of me because I know they don't have insurance on that death trap of a car.

·
Super Moderator
1,442 Posts
Some people simply don't get it, putting everyone at risk to go for a walk?! I see local clubs going on drives, simply because they have not 'yet' been told that they can't, selfish behaviour at a minimum and pandemic spreading at the worst!

Failure to heed the requests to stay home for all but essential travel will spread this virus even faster, for regular people this means food and medicine, nothing else. First responders and those who perform maintenance and repair on essential systems are the only ones that should be moving about.

It is high time to take the seriously!
I've been trying to pass this message (gently) for a week...

Well said!(y)(y)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just went out and had an amazing drive today. I purchased my car in December and this was the first absolutely beautiful, perfect day I’ve ever cruised. Windows down without a chill, Bose turned way the **** up and no traffic on the roads. I couldn’t even think about anything else while driving my 718, it’s just that engaging. Everything I wanted my car to do, it did effortlessly. I’m in love. Next step is taking this bad boy on track.
What an amazing and capable car we have.

On another note, **** did this thread get off topic talking about the virus. I guess I should just sit at home on my hands and wait for the government to tell me it’s safe to do otherwise.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Glad you had a great time in your car. I got mine in December the year before and it was maddening waiting for the weather to cooperate by getting warm enough for my summer tires. And yes, you should probably curb your desires to drive about without any "essential to life" reason. Not that you aren't perfectly "social distancing" alone in your car, but because there are a lot of people impatient with these restrictions, and some of them are not bright enough to know how powerful cross-contamination of the disease in any group of humans can so easily and rapidly occur. You don't want to encourage bad, ignorant behaviors in people who need to see empty streets to get the message that they are in mortal danger, or they can cause someone else to be.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Our part of NC is shutting down at 5 p.m. today. What does that really mean because you can get pick up and delivery food from all restaurants (potentially spreading virus)? But some folks are really over the top with this “stay at home” order. Getting a walk in to stay healthy is far better than staying in your house at all times. Watched one of the expert health officials on video saying it was a good thing to do (obviously practicing a good distance) for both physical and mental health. But if people want to stay home and get fat and stir crazy, more power to them.
But I’m taking my beast for a short jaunt before tucking her away for...???

·
Registered
415 Posts
The US will top 100,000 cases before this day is out and people are still in denial, putting others at risk because the are selfish, go out and drive, get into an accident, maybe go to a hospital and catch Covid-19 there... not to mention put additional pressure on a medical system already stretched to the max. What a great plan! :unsure:

·
Registered
301 Posts
The US will top 100,000 cases before this day is out and people are still in denial, putting others at risk because the are selfish, go out and drive, get into an accident, maybe go to a hospital and catch Covid-19 there... not to mention put additional pressure on a medical system already stretched to the max. What a great plan! :unsure:
The medical system was already stressed before the virus due to influenza and obesity and it’s side effects (which is the biggest drag on our system annually). The U.S. is in horrible physical shape already. The virus is the straw that bends/breaks the camel’s back.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Possibly true about the overall system, but there is no reason to stress it even further by preventable burdens, no one benefits from that. IMHO it is arrogant to think that we don't all need to do our part.

And lets not talk about camels, we don't MERS getting started again! :oops: ;)

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm hoping to get out early tomorrow morning, possibly for a last drive before lock down here in Sydney Australia. If any local guys are interested I will be heading North Shore. If it is not raining, that is, as went a few weeks ago in the rain and not as much fun.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I AGREE! New York dem leaders are much wiser and have everything under control !
Actually, I agree, at least with the wiser part. IMO, not as a New Yorker, Andrew Coumo has come across as a strong leader willing to make hard decisions. I would much rather have a hard driving Andy actively trying to manage a crises, and making some inevitable mistakes, than our limp Ron obviously afraid to take control and make hard decisions (and mistakes). If you never want to make a mistake or upset someone (especially a supporter), make no difficult decisions and that philosophy seems to be driving the lack of leadership in Florida. Shutting stuff down is certain to piss off business interests but there are some crises where the greater good must prevail (apparently not in Florida though). Golfers still out today in my community and, in my mind, that is clearly an unnecessary activity to all but the owners of the golf course.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Possibly true about the overall system, but there is no reason to stress it even further by preventable burdens, no one benefits from that. IMHO it is arrogant to think that we don't all need to do our part.

And lets not talk about camels, we don't MERS getting started again! :oops: ;)
Ha! Camels. I agree though. We all need to do our part. Just wish people would do their part all the time instead of just during a crisis. Peace, y’all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If the alternative to driving is literally sitting on my hands at home, maybe you have a point. But you keep me from driving, you keep me from going for a bicycle ride outside, I’m probably going to end up getting into something else at home. Binge eating? Well that leads to obesity, diabetes, other medical conditions. Maybe I’ll have a drink? Well that’s got its own problems. Maybe I’ll tackle the issue of the old home owner leaving the satellite up on the roof? Well crap I could easily fall off the ladder.

There’s a good chance sitting at home with nothing positive to look forward to increases strain on marriage, kids end up growing up in a broken home. **** money is already getting tight, it’s a miracle the wife and I aren’t fighting.

I know I’m just spitballing here, but the point is, to live is to risk. There is no perfectly safe options. Might as well just replace humanity with robots if the ultimate goal is to eliminate risk.

Additionally, the US has around 60,000,000 cases of the Flu each year, with around 30,000,000 doctor/hospital visits because of it. (That’s where the strain on the medical system is) This ends up with around 60,000 flu related deaths per year, just in the US.
I’m not saying COVID 19 isn’t a real risk, it absolutely is. But to live is to face risk. Put a bullet in my head now rather than let count out the rest of my days in pure fear.

81 - 100 of 141 Posts