Porsche 718 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Oh by the way, is it reasonable to believe with the idea that this virus is so massively virulent, and has been in the wild since November of 2019, that those line graphs are anything but accurate? China had it in November. That virus has been in the US since then too. No other way to think about it. The line chart is a lie. What would it look like if the term was extended back to November?

·
Super Moderator
1,266 Posts
Moderator input--we really need to keep this discussion non-personal or it will be locked. Personal attacks and denigration will not be tolerated.

Personal input--regarding increases--logarithmic increases can be deadly.
I remember one story and one puzzle in illustration.

Story--The emperor wanted to reward the inventor of the game chess and asked what he wanted. He said he would take one grain of rice for the first square on the board, two for the second and to keep doubling for each remaining square. The emperor laughed at such a small reward and agreed. It wasn't until the accountants worked out that rice owed was the country's total rice production for thousands of years.
The inventor died an 'unexpected' early death.

Puzzle--A water plant doubles in area each day. As it grows it finally covers half the area of a lake in 30 days. How long does it take for the lake to be completely covered?

Stay safe everyone.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You are joking over our dead fellow Americans and I think this is wrong.
Where's the joke? I don't joke about serious subjects.
I did not state that the virus has been in the wild since November. You are manufacturing statements on my behalf and deducing results that I have never presented.
No you didn't state that. However if you really have been following along, you'd know that the virus was reported in China in November. The actual truth may be it was out in the wild much earlier than that.

Please be accurate with your comments.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Where's the joke? I don't joke about serious subjects.

No you didn't state that. However if you really have been following along, you'd know that the virus was reported in China in November. The actual truth may be it was out in the wild much earlier than that.

Please be accurate with your comments.
According to the Wikipedia, your November date is inaccurate

Late December if I am not mistaken and the first fatality occurred in January 2020.

Please read the information you provided (without attributing source):

Postulated 800 million cases (based on extrapolating US data to the total population of the earth).

Resulting in 0.4-1.2 million deaths. Let's say 1 million for round numbers. 1 death in 800 cases.

Covid-19 as of today has 782,103 cases with 37815 deaths. Roughly 1 death every 21 cases.

You should seriously consider accepting that the Covid-19 is more serious than a seasonal flu.

Especially considering that the pandemic is in its beginning in most places in the world.

·
Registered
744 Posts
According to the Wikipedia, your November date is inaccurate

View attachment 26151

Late December if I am not mistaken and the first fatality occurred in January 2020.

Please read the information you provided (without attributing source):

Postulated 800 million cases (based on extrapolating US data to the total population of the earth).

Resulting in 0.4-1.2 million deaths. Let's say 1 million for round numbers. 1 death in 800 cases.

Covid-19 as of today has 782,103 cases with 37815 deaths. Roughly 1 death every 21 cases.

You should seriously consider accepting that the Covid-19 is more serious than a seasonal flu.

Especially considering that the pandemic is in its beginning in most places in the world.
The Chinese government alerted the rest of us on December 31,2019. That doesn't mean it started then. Knowing how their system operates, I'd put good money on the idea it was effecting them much earlier than they reported. Believe what you want. At the rate of things as they are, it will take 7 years to reach the same mortality cases as H1N1. You should hope I'm right and you're wrong.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Great to see another forum turn into a political forum. Time to stay away for awhile. Over and out.
I never meant for this to be the case. My initial question was simply borne out of a curiosity for what other 718 owners are facing in terms of being allowed to get out for a drive (or not). On the basis that I’m guessing for most of us, this is one of life’s great pleasures.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Great to see another forum turn into a political forum. Time to stay away for awhile. Over and out.
Sadly, true. There is no longer any escape. I just want to talk about cars, not have a Weltanschauungkrieg.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You can blame that on the moderator who isn't so moderate. He's been participating and leading leading the way from the beginning. And I'll be damned if I'll accept being told by some technocrat or anyone else, to go sit in the corner and believe what you're told. Once you do that you're their bitch. That approach never served me well. I've always questioned things, and especially so in this insane atmosphere. I look for a vein of truth and then try to follow that. If you're interested in what real experts have to say and not the narrative that gets marched out every day to further a myriad of agendas.

Doctor: Coronavirus Death Rate is Likely Much Different Than We First Thought

New Oxford study suggests millions of people may have already built up coronavirus immunity

·
Registered
34 Posts
I never meant for this to be the case. My initial question was simply borne out of a curiosity for what other 718 owners are facing in terms of being allowed to get out for a drive (or not). On the basis that I’m guessing for most of us, this is one of life’s great pleasures.
Unfortunately the one “moderator” crapped all over me and anyone else just trying to make a light hearted post about enjoying their car in these trying times. Dudes either trolling or just a jerk, or both.

edit: to add more, If that moderator thought it was so horrible and unethical to be driving our cars in a time like this, why even leave the thread open? This thread became his pet project to scold, and signal His virtue over all those who responded in a positive manner.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thanks to all three moderators here for doing your best.

But the personal attacks here by members have spoiled this forum for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Moderator input--we really need to keep this discussion non-personal or it will be locked. Personal attacks and denigration will not be tolerated.

Personal input--regarding increases--logarithmic increases can be deadly.
I remember one story and one puzzle in illustration.

Story--The emperor wanted to reward the inventor of the game chess and asked what he wanted. He said he would take one grain of rice for the first square on the board, two for the second and to keep doubling for each remaining square. The emperor laughed at such a small reward and agreed. It wasn't until the accountants worked out that rice owed was the country's total rice production for thousands of years.
The inventor died an 'unexpected' early death.

Puzzle--A water plant doubles in area each day. As it grows it finally covers half the area of a lake in 30 days. How long does it take for the lake to be completely covered?

Stay safe everyone.
Who invented chess?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
How is it endangering anyone or violating quarantine to drive your car solo? Explain that to me like I'm 4 yrs old.

I'm listening.
I can see two ways:
First is when You go to refuel the car.
Second is in the event that You are involved in an accident.

Using an EV which is charged at home can eliminate the first.

·
Super Moderator
1,823 Posts
Gentlemen,

This thread will now be locked.

Shame on those who can't control themselves. Step back, take a breath. We're all on edge these days, no matter what we believe. Please consider that, and consider that this is not a forum dedicated to anything but our cars.

Thank you.

161 - 177 of 177 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.