Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a dyno tune worth the added expense and hassle over an email tune or canned tune? And email over canned?

Anybody go from a canned to an email or dyno tune see a noticeable difference in anything?

If it matters, I'm stuck on California's 91 Octane.

·
Registered
2017 Cayman
110 Posts
A proper dyno tune or street tune will always be the best but it depends on what your goals are as well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I disagree with the above comment. All tunes are highly dependant on the skill and experience of the tuner on the platform that is being tuned. If you can get someone highly experienced at extracting the best from the platform to custom tune your car, that may provide the best result. But there are not many with that level of experience on this platform. There are however some very good canned tunes available, so I would bet you are more likely to get a better result from a good canned tune over some random tuner. If you find a good tuner, that may change, but to date, the APR canned tunes seem to match/better any custom tunes. There seem to be a couple of pro tuners for Cobb that have similar capability to offer a canned tune or remote custom tuning, but I would do my research before heading to the local Cobb pro tuner for this platform. Most have probably never touched a 718.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have only used can/off the shelf tunes in the past and never had a custom dyno tune...but wouldnt the main advantage of the custom tune be the input from the customer to tailor the tune to their needs? Perhaps someone wants a load of midrange torque for street driving or perhaps more linear top end power for track driving or anywhere in between. Or maybe you want to run higher octane fuel or E85. Those type of things I would think are the real value in a custom tune. But if you arent looking for something very specific then I would just start with the canned tune and see how you like it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You are correct. Some people want particular results that may be best serviced by custom tuning. It is a myth that you can tune for midrange OR tune for top end. You can have the best of both worlds, but some people may want a more linear power delivery like NA by intentionally reducing the mid range. Most people would want the most power/torque that can be safely achieved at all RPM points which is what the canned tunes will do.

For fuel, on the 718, E85 is not an option currently (unless custom mixed to something like E30), and most canned tunes have different octane options.

Canned tunes are designed to satisfy the requirements of most people. 90% of people will get what they want. 10% may want something specific that cannot be satisfied.

The key here is that there is probably less than a dozen tuners in the world that can claim to have good knowledge and experience on the 718 platform. The available good canned tunes are coming from these tuners. But there are probably 100s of tuners who would claim to be able to tune the 718 and have never touched one before. You are unlikely to end up with a better result by going to one of these tuners over a canned tune. That may change in future, but until now it has been the case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts