Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a certified Porcshe outdoor car cover for my Cayman and when it arrived, I was sure that the paint on my car would be protected. After several days to a week of heavy rain, I finally removed the cover (carefully) and was shocked to find smudges along the high points of the fenders and roof above the door header. Although Meguiars polishing compund removed the smudged albeit with some effort, I wonder why I even bothered with the cover.

To the 718 Community and all fine auto owners- Has anyone experienced the similar problems?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
When covered outside, the wind can and will eventually wreak havoc on a car’s finish. Seriously painful lesson learned over 40 years ago.

Reactions: DriveInHouston

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
I accidentally purchased the outdoor cover for mine, it's only used indoors to keep the jerk of a cat off my car. But I wondered how this would work outdoor since the material doesn't seem to be as soft as I would have thought on the touch surface.

Side note: A friend of mine gave me a brand new cover for a Boxster that I thought I'd try. It doesn't fit the Cayman... If anyone is interested in it, cover the freight and it's yours.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have used the Covercarft Evolution Block-it on various cars over the years without getting any paint abrassion. It is quite soft on the inside but not fully water proof.

Some of the water proof covers can be a bit abrassive due to the material used. I'd consider getting a soft inner cover then putting your waterproof one over the top.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I recently purchased a certified Porcshe outdoor car cover for my Cayman and when it arrived, I was sure that the paint on my car would be protected. After several days to a week of heavy rain, I finally removed the cover (carefully) and was shocked to find smudges along the high points of the fenders and roof above the door header. Although Meguiars polishing compund removed the smudged albeit with some effort, I wonder why I even bothered with the cover.

To the 718 Community and all fine auto owners- Has anyone experienced the similar problems?
I did a lot of research regarding car covers before receiving my 718 in December of 2018.

After researching, I came to the conclusion that the Noah cover is the best all around outdoor cover.

I've been very happy with the Noah material over the last 1.5 years and would highly recommend it.

I'm sure there are a few other outdoor covers that will work fine, but I think the technology/science behind the Noah material is very impressive.

If you read comments from Porsche owners on various internet forums, I'm pretty sure you'll see that the general consensus is to take the aftermarket route for car care products in lieu of the Porsche name brand products.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used a Noah on my Passat twenty years ago and concluded it could do more harm than good simply by virtue of the grit it accumulated while covering the car. With infrequent rain, it just got dirtier and dirtier over time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I accidentally purchased the outdoor cover for mine, it's only used indoors to keep the jerk of a cat off my car. But I wondered how this would work outdoor since the material doesn't seem to be as soft as I would have thought on the touch surface.

Side note: A friend of mine gave me a brand new cover for a Boxster that I thought I'd try. It doesn't fit the Cayman... If anyone is interested in it, cover the freight and it's yours.
Hi HooosierDaddy,

If your extra cover is still available, I would be interested in it.

I have a 2017 718 Boxster S; will this cover you are offering fit this model? Also, is it a Porsche OEM cover or another brand? Let me know how much the freight charge is and I can Venmo you the freight cost. The car is in Nashville.

Thanks, rjr911

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used a Noah on my Passat twenty years ago and concluded it could do more harm than good simply by virtue of the grit it accumulated while covering the car. With infrequent rain, it just got dirtier and dirtier over time.
Wouldn't anything that lives outside or covers a car outside accumulate dirt over time?

You are supposed to wash car covers at least once a year to preserve them and extend their useful life.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but i'm not sure that bad experience was due to the Noah material.

Of course parking in a climate controlled garage would be better than using an outdoor car cover.

I've read that outdoor car covers can cause scratches under certain conditions, so I did a full body Suntek Ultra PPF wrap on my car because I knew I would frequently be using an outdoor car cover.

I haven't noticed any damage from using an outdoor car cover for the last 1.5 years, but I do believe there's some inherent risk when using an outdoor cover.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree. I wasn’t criticizing the Noah, just sharing my experience that using the cover repeatedly seemed to introduce more grit onto the car’s finish by virtue of what the cover accumulated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts