Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What method do you use to dry your 718 after washing it? A microfiber towel, a Metro Vac type dryer, other?

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
The large microfibre tower by Optimum does a good job on the very few times I actually dry the car. Most of the time--especially in summer--it's almost dry by the time I finish washing. I was drying before the application of Opti's Gloss Enhancer but I realised that I can't actually tell if it makes any visible difference, so I still have almost a full bottle left; although it does make the surface slipperier.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I typically use a microfibre towel but have tried a blower. It seemed the blower was more trouble than it was worth.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I typically use a microfibre towel but have tried a blower. It seemed the blower was more trouble than it was worth.
I tried a blower once also and agree. I almost hit the car a few times with it, so I had to be careful not to get too close. Now, after I rinse down the car, I spray it with detailing spray for added viscosity and dry it with micro fiber towels.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use a combination of microfiber towels and Metro-Vac blower. I first use the blower on all the little nooks and crannies and then use the towel on the remainder. The blower is excellent at drying confined areas such as wheel wells, lug nuts, etc. If you have a paint protective film on your car, I'd be gentle with the blower around the edges.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I had a brand new leaf blower around the house that I never got to use......well I use it all the time now but not for leaves. I find it extremely effective at getting over 90% of the water off the 718 then I use maybe two large microfiber towels to finish the job on the exterior. I also use some small microfiber towels inside the door and in the frunk and truck. I will continue to use the leaf blower because, for me at least, it saves quite a bit of time especially when it comes to getting >95% of the water all the nooks and crannies in the wheels.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use distilled water for the rinse and then an artificial chamois (weathertech soaker). Distilled water rinse is (over) discussed in

The worx cordless power washer is pretty handy.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I use distilled water for the rinse and then an artificial chamois (weathertech soaker). Distilled water rinse is (over) discussed in

The worx cordless power washer is pretty handy.
That is exactly what I use and already posted the same video.........works perfect with zero water spots.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Instead of using a blower, once i've dried the car with my various micro fibre towels i take it for a quick blast around the block to [A] get the brake discs dry and removed the rust marks and shake off all the water that get's into the nooks and crannies. Then a quick wipe off when i'm back.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I use a synthetic chamois and microfiber on the body, glass and interior.

I reverse the hose on my car shop vac to blow the excess water off the wheels, calipers, rotors and the lug bolt holes.

·
Registered
476 Posts
another leaf blower lover. got the smallest electric model they make years ago for drying off the bike. would be there for hours with the fins on the motor alone. tons of pressure to blow out all the water and no worries about a 2 or 4 stroke motor and what it would add to the air stream. a once-over with a microfiber cloth and i'm done drying in no time.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
After I wash the car and dry it I take the car for a spin about half a block to get the remaining water out from the wheels/brakes/rotors then I take it back home, and start waxing. No more dripping around the rims, and it also takes care of the layer of rust on the rotors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts