Porsche 718 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I can't attest to the fitment of where the holes had to be drilled. All in all my shop said the fitment was just poor, and quality of the actual material was crap. Bad enough that the guy said he didn't want his shop to be associated with it. The guy was incredibly transparent.

I took the gamble, and I lost. Things may be different for whatever product you receive, but I will not be moving forward with them, and certainly won't be ordering anything else from them.
sorry to hear that bud. i appreciate you giving us a heads up!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can't attest to the fitment of where the holes had to be drilled. All in all my shop said the fitment was just poor, and quality of the actual material was crap. Bad enough that the guy said he didn't want his shop to be associated with it. The guy was incredibly transparent.

I took the gamble, and I lost. Things may be different for whatever product you receive, but I will not be moving forward with them, and certainly won't be ordering anything else from them.
Sorry to hear that :( I do wonder if the previous pics I linked here especially the ones from Thailand are from CMST or a different aftermarket company.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to hear that :( I do wonder if the previous pics I linked here especially the ones from Thailand are from CMST or a different aftermarket company.
I can almost guarantee all the aftermarket body kits come from a single factory in southern China and get bought by various distributors for their local markets. I can also say that fiberglass body parts almost always require modifications by an experienced body shop regardless of what kind of car it's designed for. Talk to any experienced body kit installer, especially for air cooled Porsches, and they'll tell you that no body kit can just bolt on and go without adjustments and bodywork. Honestly, it just sounds like the shop is lazy and doesn't want to do the work while already charging you labor for the "test fitting" they've done so far. The fitment doesn't even look all that off, especially if it's not a close up shot like the photos I've seen so far. It's not like the gaps are an inch wide.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I can almost guarantee all the aftermarket body kits come from a single factory in southern China and get bought by various distributors for their local markets. I can also say that fiberglass body parts almost always require modifications by an experienced body shop regardless of what kind of car it's designed for. Talk to any experienced body kit installer, especially for air cooled Porsches, and they'll tell you that no body kit can just bolt on and go without adjustments and bodywork. Honestly, it just sounds like the shop is lazy and doesn't want to do the work while already charging you labor for the "test fitting" they've done so far. The fitment doesn't even look all that off, especially if it's not a close up shot like the photos I've seen so far. It's not like the gaps are an inch wide.
another reason why i kinda wanted more pictures of the overall fitment so i can see the gap or issues. i know alot about fiberglass body kits since i that's all that was out there back in the 90's when body kits were the craze for the Import Scene. that's why i made that remark about a good body shop can make things work even when it seems impossible. lots of times they will modify and rework the panel to fit right with out having gap issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
another reason why i kinda wanted more pictures of the overall fitment so i can see the gap or issues. i know alot about fiberglass body kits since i that's all that was out there back in the 90's when body kits were the craze for the Import Scene. that's why i made that remark about a good body shop can make things work even when it seems impossible. lots of times they will modify and rework the panel to fit right with out having gap issues.
Exactly, you definitely need photos of the whole car to judge the current fitment. Zooming in on some less than perfect gaps on a fiberglass part doesn't really prove how bad the fit is. Fiberglass is always going to look and feel like it's poorer quality in its raw unpainted form compared to oem metal/plastic panels, but that's just how the physical properties of different materials are. The photos don't convince me that it's such poor quality that you're better off throwing away the $1000 spent on the parts plus more in labor test fitting so far. Consult another shop, preferably one that has experience with custom fiberglass work and not the usual collision shops that deal with insurance repairs that utilize oem parts which for the most part bolt straight on.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
what ever you decide to do i respect that. lot of times because it's a Porsche there a fine line when it comes to aftermarket products. i'm all about customization and these GT3 fenders really look good especially the picture posted with the white Porsche

·
Registered
888 Posts
Why don't you bite the bullet and get full carbon fenders from Renn Sport 1?

From what I read it seems they are made in US and they claim OEM fitment and finish which looks to be the case in the photos. I suspect the fenders in the photo of the Chalk car are from RS1.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Going to have to stop you there. The shop is in no way lazy. The actual quality of the product, regardless of fit, was not good. He also didn't charge me a thing for test fitting. They have also offered to return the fenders and handle the return for me. They are a trusted shop that has plenty of experience in aftermarket both OEM and non-OEM from their work I have seen. I didn't just go down the road to Mavis and ask them to throw them on.

·
Registered
42 Posts

From what I read it seems they are made in US and they claim OEM fitment and finish which looks to be the case in the photos. I suspect the fenders in the photo of the Chalk car are from RS1.

Even if I wanted to those they are for a 981, which I was under the impression would not fit.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·

holy **** $4700

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Going to have to stop you there. The shop is in no way lazy. The actual quality of the product, regardless of fit, was not good. He also didn't charge me a thing for test fitting. They have also offered to return the fenders and handle the return for me. They are a trusted shop that has plenty of experience in aftermarket both OEM and non-OEM from their work I have seen. I didn't just go down the road to Mavis and ask them to throw them on.
that's cool they offered a return on these

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cool, glad to know they're helping out with the return. No need to get defensive, I didn't know what kind of shop you dropped these off at, and there are plenty of places out there that would take owners for a ride with fees while not getting anything done. Either way, it's incredibly rare for a shop to be doing all this free of charge, so you're lucky to have one like this near you. Just removing the bumper and fenders alone are quite labor intensive.

Still, I would have liked to see some photos of zoomed out so the entire car can be seen. In some of the photos, it looks like the gap is not even that much different than those between factory panels. And I'm not sure if some of the fitment issues would be less pronounced after the various holes have been drilled and the fenders solidly mounted to the car with bolts. In my experience with fiberglass body kits, good shops can make them fit correctly by reworking the fiberglass (adding material, shaving, molding, etc), and it's honestly par for the course when it comes to fiberglass panels in general.

A lot of the photos on page 1 have Thailand plates. I've been traveling to China and southeast Asia for most of my life for business and I can guarantee you those Thai 718s are not sporting RS1 handcrafted CF fenders guaranteeing perfect fitment while costing $4700 USD lol. Most likely their local shop got them from the same Shenzhen factory that CMST is sourcing theirs from, which is why you had such a long delay in shipment due to international shipping issues during the pandemic. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cool, glad to know they're helping out with the return. No need to get defensive, I didn't know what kind of shop you dropped these off at, and there are plenty of places out there that would take owners for a ride with fees while not getting anything done. Either way, it's incredibly rare for a shop to be doing all this free of charge, so you're lucky to have one like this near you. Just removing the bumper and fenders alone are quite labor intensive.

Still, I would have liked to see some photos of zoomed out so the entire car can be seen. In some of the photos, it looks like the gap is not even that much different than those between factory panels. And I'm not sure if some of the fitment issues would be less pronounced after the various holes have been drilled and the fenders solidly mounted to the car with bolts. In my experience with fiberglass body kits, good shops can make them fit correctly by reworking the fiberglass (adding material, shaving, molding, etc), and it's honestly par for the course when it comes to fiberglass panels in general.

A lot of the photos on page 1 have Thailand plates. I've been traveling to China and southeast Asia for most of my life for business and I can guarantee you those Thai 718s are not sporting RS1 handcrafted CF fenders guaranteeing perfect fitment while costing $4700 USD lol. Most likely their local shop got them from the same Shenzhen factory that CMST is sourcing theirs from, which is why you had such a long delay in shipment due to international shipping issues during the pandemic. Just my 2c.
Didn’t mean to get defensive, just God forbid it made it back to the shop(they browse these forums) I didn’t want them thinking that dealing with them was anything but wonderful.

In the end, I’m sure they could have shaved and added and modified and molded it to fit better and accept paint better, but at the end of the day this mod would have likely cost more than buying the RS1 fenders!

Overall, I took the gamble, and a shop I trust said that the finished product wouldn’t look as good as I wanted it to. As always, your experience may vary, but to each their own!

·
Registered
16 Posts
thought i would share this. this looks like a better quality fender but its a bit pricier.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Unfortunately that’s the same website I purchased the last ones from... and I don’t think they are happy with the review I left here haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately that’s the same website I purchased the last ones from... and I don’t think they are happy with the review I left here haha.
I’m glad you mentioned that because I was going to purchase and try it out. I’m just going to wait for an oem solution aka Porsche gt4rs

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Those are from a different manufacturer so maybe they have better quality control there. Who knows until somebody tries and reports back. I'm looking into ordering the skirt extensions and diffuser from them probably end of this month. Fingers crossed that I don't run into any quality issues. I'll report back when I do this

81 - 100 of 102 Posts