Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just installed a 2 mode cargraphic exhaust valve controller in my 718 GT4. The installation went well. However, upon starting the car, I received a check engine light. Working with the controller, everything seems to be working well. The sport mode on the controller keeps the valves open and on the other mode, the exhaust and the rest of the car feels stick. Considering I have a PSE functionality, I think the vaccine tubes are plugged in correctly. Has anyone else experienced similar issues with the valve controller and have thoughts on possible causes ?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Could be that you have a vacuum leak somewhere?
Better to read the codes i guess..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not sure if this would result in a CEL but I have heard that the vacuum pipes don’t always re-seal back onto the value actuator properly after once removed. There’s a chat on Rennlist about this. I’m not aware of anyone reporting a CEL for this though.

Could it perhaps be the electrical connection itself?

Coincidentally, I’m planning on the trying the very basic approach of holding the values open with some wire.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Spurred on by this morning’s post, I finally got around to wiring mine open. Not a particularly elegant solution but a very nice improvement in sound between 1,800 and 4,000 rpm (when the PSE values would normally be closed). No CEL so far.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Spurred on by this morning’s post, I finally got around to wiring mine open. Not a particularly elegant solution but a very nice improvement in sound between 1,800 and 4,000 rpm (when the PSE values would normally be closed). No CEL so far.
Pse is supposed to open above 2000rpm/50:isch km/h
edit
At least on cars up to 2018

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pse is supposed to open above 2000rpm/50:isch km/h
edit
At least on cars up to 2018
On 718 GT4 it almost works in reverse. Vales are open at idle then closes at around 2,000 rpm, before opening again at 4,000 rpm ish. (GT2 goes something similar). I believe it’s to meet latest noise regulations or something.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
On 718 GT4 it almost works in reverse. Vales are open at idle then closes at around 2,000 rpm, before opening again at 4,000 rpm ish. (GT2 goes something similar). I believe it’s to meet latest noise regulations or something.

Stupid me 🤡
We are talking about a GT4, My bad!!

Then it is pretty close to how 981 GT4 worked, people that did a valve delete regretted it on the highway.
The exhaust got a Massive drone with the valves open when the where supposed to be closed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
@johan no problem at all. You may well have a point, and no doubt that’s where having a ‘switchable’ value controller would be beneficial. I thought though I would try thus rather crude approach first just to see what impact it has in the lower rev ranges (where in stock form it could do with more noise).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems like the issue was due to disconnecting the battery. Learnt from other folks that disconnecting the battery can flash a code. Reset it using an OBD2 reader and all good. Putting it here as it might come useful if anyone else sees this issue.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Having now actually driven the car, albeit it briefly, I have to admit as @johan suggested there's quite a bit of drone with the the values permanently open - especially between 2,000 and just over 3,000 rpm. I can live with it as I don't do that much motorway/highway cruising - but I suspect some may have an issue with it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having now actually driven the car, albeit it briefly, I have to admit as @johan suggested there's quite a bit of drone with the the values permanently open - especially between 2,000 and just over 3,000 rpm. I can live with it as I don't do that much motorway/highway cruising - but I suspect some may have an issue with it.
I agree. Even with the cargraphic controller, I have noticed drone in that rpm range which might be an issues during cruising. But have not noticed it that much when spirited driving probably because I am not in that rev range for that long. Think having the option to close the valves with the controller helps mitigate that issue

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cargraphic drones? They state it does not drone.
Don’t think they can claim that. All their module does is keep the valves open all the time in one of their modes. Drone is related to the frequency and loudness of sounds thus generated by the stock exhaust system. They may claim it doesn’t, but most of us have noticed some in cabin. Might be a little better for spider owners as they don’t have the amplification effect of the cabin.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don’t think they can claim that. All their module does is keep the valves open all the time in one of their modes. Drone is related to the frequency and loudness of sounds thus generated by the stock exhaust system. They may claim it doesn’t, but most of us have noticed some in cabin. Might be a little better for spider owners as they don’t have the amplification effect of the cabin.
I refer to their exhaust system.
At their website reads "NO DRONE OR RESONATION..."

Sent from my HD1910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
I refer to their exhaust system.
At their website reads "NO DRONE OR RESONATION..."

Sent from my HD1910 using Tapatalk
Yes, their exhaust system says no drone, but we are talking about the value controller (a separate item) which can be used on any system including OEM. As @Tripman has said, the drone is related to the OEM system, not Cargraphic’s controller.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys,

Who do you really think you should believe and listen to ???
The Company selling a product or the guys that have the product and actually using it ???

I'll let you choose .................

Terry

·
Registered
26 Posts
Guys,

Who do you really think you should believe and listen to ???
The Company selling a product or the guys that have the product and actually using it ???

I'll let you choose .................

Terry
There is confusion; he is talking about the controller, I do talk about the exhaust.
My mistake.
Regarding exhaust, if the germans say "no drone," I would expect no drone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts