Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this afternoon it has been almost 8 months since I installed the CARPLAY2air device in my 2019 Boxster and eliminated a dedicated hardwired iPhone. I thought some might find it helpful to see some real and meaningful feedback about this device before buying one.

In summary, it works and it now works very well. Installation was also easy and exactly as advertised.

Initially, it worked equally as well as the dedicated iPhone 7 plugged into the console USB port and exhibited the same glitches at a similar frequency. The CARPLAY2air did not introduce any additional problems but also did not eliminate any. At that time (June, 2020) the Apple Carplay system certainly worked well enough to be very useful but too frequently it would not connect to the phone after starting the car even though the display indicated it saw the phone. Also, coming out of mute (such as after a phone call) was problematic (I could see Pandora playing but the audio remained muted). Since last June I updated the Apple IOS on my iPhone a few times and I updated the CARPLAY2air firmware once or twice. I also updated the map data and may have included updates to the Porsche firmware. In early November I changed from an iPhone SE to an iPhone 12 Mini but I do not perceive this mattered. In any case, the same problems still exist but, at least for me, the connect to the iPhone issues after starting the car are now very infrequent. The system reliably connects wirelessly to my iPhone via the CARPLAY2air black box almost every time I start the car. The remaining in mute problem still rears its ugly head but I also perceive that to be much less frequent.

IMO, if you want to just get in the car and not think about the phone or bother plugging the phone into the console USB port, the CARPLAY2air device will work and work well. In May it cost $160 and was shipped directly to me from China. I have no regrets and I am glad I have it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the update. I had Sima add Apple CarPlay to my PCM, and then started to review my options for a wireless dongle. My first option was CarPlay2Air, but after reading several reviews I had some second thoughts. So, I chose to try the CarLinkIt brand. It is slightly less expensive, and in the reviews I read, it seems to have fewer connection problems. We'll see. One disadvantage is that it takes some time to ship -- I ordered on January 5, and expect it to arrive January 19.

I will report what I discover.

Cap

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have the carlinkit, but they are actually the same device and run the same firmwares. So it does not matter which you get. Carlinkit actually supplies carplay2air, so perhaps beter support??

I have similarly good things to say about mine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I noticed this afternoon it has been almost 8 months since I installed the CARPLAY2air device in my 2019 Boxster and eliminated a dedicated hardwired iPhone. I thought some might find it helpful to see some real and meaningful feedback about this device before buying one.

In summary, it works and it now works very well. Installation was also easy and exactly as advertised.

Initially, it worked equally as well as the dedicated iPhone 7 plugged into the console USB port and exhibited the same glitches at a similar frequency. The CARPLAY2air did not introduce any additional problems but also did not eliminate any. At that time (June, 2020) the Apple Carplay system certainly worked well enough to be very useful but too frequently it would not connect to the phone after starting the car even though the display indicated it saw the phone. Also, coming out of mute (such as after a phone call) was problematic (I could see Pandora playing but the audio remained muted). Since last June I updated the Apple IOS on my iPhone a few times and I updated the CARPLAY2air firmware once or twice. I also updated the map data and may have included updates to the Porsche firmware. In early November I changed from an iPhone SE to an iPhone 12 Mini but I do not perceive this mattered. In any case, the same problems still exist but, at least for me, the connect to the iPhone issues after starting the car are now very infrequent. The system reliably connects wirelessly to my iPhone via the CARPLAY2air black box almost every time I start the car. The remaining in mute problem still rears its ugly head but I also perceive that to be much less frequent.

IMO, if you want to just get in the car and not think about the phone or bother plugging the phone into the console USB port, the CARPLAY2air device will work and work well. In May it cost $160 and was shipped directly to me from China. I have no regrets and I am glad I have it.
Another simple solution and it's free just plug in your iPhone no need to spend extra money. I never had any issues with Apple Car Play just connect your iPhone to the PCM via the USB port in the smartphone tray. Confirm you want to use Apple Car Play through the in-vehicle touchscreen. Your center screen should display your iPhone apps. If you do have issue contact your dealership they will help set you up.

·
Registered
2017 718 Boxster - Graphite Blue Metallic
128 Posts
The Carlinkit and CarPlay2Air solutions are very simple, you just plug the unit into the same USB and follow a few very quick steps for initial setup. After that it just works...

Possibly also worth noting is that at least with the Carlinkit, it has a passthrough so you can still leave a lightning connector hooked up if you want a physical connection with charging.

Nothing wrong with connecting via USB and saving a few bucks, but I love the fact that on most short trips my phone stays in my pocket and everything just works. Wireless CarPlay is a huge advantage IMO and very hard to give up once you've had it.

Another simple solution and it's free just plug in your iPhone no need to spend extra money. I never had any issues with Apple Car Play just connect your iPhone to the PCM via the USB port in the smartphone tray. Confirm you want to use Apple Car Play through the in-vehicle touchscreen. Your center screen should display your iPhone apps. If you do have issue contact your dealership they will help set you up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Another simple solution ...just connect your iPhone to the PCM via the USB port in the smartphone tray....
That only works if you have a USB in your armrest. For those of us with just one USB port in the glovebox, then the wireless option makes more sense.

cap

·
Registered
34 Posts
For Car2Play users - do you hear the difference in sound quality using wireless connection via Car2Play vs direct wired connection?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had mine for about a month now and really like it.

I personally love putting the phone inside the armrest as I hate the look of wires running all over the place (especially in a small car), but for short drives it is a hassle for sure (and of course easy to leave the phone in the car).

I bought a shorty lightning cable and leave that in the armrest compartment and now only plug it in on long drives or when charging is needed.

The wireless connection takes a second to start up if I have been out of the car for a day or more (but so does the hard wired one) and seems to connect immediately if I am in and out of the car more often.

Sound quality seems the same - and there seems to be no lag at all using Waze or any other apps via Carplay via the wireless connection.

Best of both worlds for me - wires still hidden for long rides and easy wireless access for quick trips.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Cayman
3 Posts
Anybody have experience having two phones in the car? How hard is it to force a specific phone to connect?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
The way CarPlay is implemented in my MY18 Cayman S does not allow for a 2nd phone to be connected. The moment you start CarPlay, it disables Bluetooth.

If you don't use CarPlay, you can connect more than one phones through BT, and the car will connect the phone which is being called.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't use two phones with my adapter, but sometimes before i makes a connection I see a screen which lists just my phone. I presume you can connect multiple phones to the adapter and this screen would then enable you to select which to connect to.... but I have not tried it.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks for offering your experience. I have had all the problems with my 2019 Cayman. Glad the device works because I have been mulling whether to buy one. Cheers from Memphis, TN. Jay

·
Registered
107 Posts
... Since last June I updated the ...CARPLAY2air firmware once or twice.
Did you have any issues with updating the firmware? I just got my CarLinkIt, and there are some badly translated warnings about updating the firmware, suggesting that you can brick the device if you do it improperly. Given the awkward translation of the user's guide, I suspect the firmware upgrade instructions might be similarly challenging to follow in English.

·
Registered
2017 718 Boxster - Graphite Blue Metallic
128 Posts
Did you notice anything after the updates (improvement in connection speed or similar)?

I'm currently taking an "if it works don't break it" approach.... And it seems to be working just fine, but happy to update if there is some benefit.

No problem at all updating the firmware. I think I updated it twice, once when I first got it then a month or two ago.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I indicated in the original post, the system works more reliably now than it did originally but I do not know what updates to attribute the improvements to. There were Apple Carplay glitches when I used a hardwired phone, the same glitches were there at the same frequency when I installed the CARPLAY2air device, and they are still there except now at a much lower frequency.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Comparo:

Anybody have experience with other options? They all seem to have problems, but this reviewer preferred two other options besides CARPLAY2air. It also seems to be dependent on the vehicle.

·
Registered
421 Posts
All the dongles are bascially the same hardware inside. Where they differ is in cables etc. They can also all run the same firmwares. Joyauto do have their own range of firmware, but you can load that into the others and many accidentally did that and it is difficult to get it off that firmware but you can by updating to a particular firmware. So functionally they can all pretty much work the same assuming they have the same firmware. I have the Carlinkit 2. Just because it is a little more versatile in terms of the cable as you can fit any length cable.

On the firmware upgrades. Many people have bricked these. Doing an update is a significant risk of bricking. I have only upgraded once, and I did it with a USB drive and a good iPad power brick. I had no issue. I think it is safer to do it on a known supply than the USB in the car.

These devices don't work that great on some cars, but thankfully they work quite well with the PSM4 on the 718.

If you have a few days spare time... lots of info here: CarPlay adapter to convert to wireless CarPlay?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts