Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
I got mine off ebay shipped from China (to Australia) and arrived in about 10 days. I expect it is the same as on Amazon. Just make sure it is clearly labelled as carplay adapter. There are other devices made by carlinkit that provide android auto so don't get that one since that does not work on a 718 as far as I know.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
On the firmware upgrades. Many people have bricked these. Doing an update is a significant risk of bricking. I have only upgraded once, and I did it with a USB drive and a good iPad power brick. I had no issue. I think it is safer to do it on a known supply than the USB in the car.
Upgrading the firmware, at least on my CARPLAY2air device, was an ultra simple procedure using my iPhone. I very simply just entered a URL into the internet browser on my iPhone when it was connected to the adapter. I just touched the indicated available update and everything else just happened relatively quickly. Not sure what your referring to with your reference to a USB drive. This is clearly covered in the instruction and the instructions also provides a QR code so you don't even have to enter the URL.

I did previously comment that there are still glitches and today, the one associated with connecting to the iPhone, reared its ugly head. It just would not even recognize that any Apple Carplay device was connected. I rebooted the phone and even pulled unplugged and then replugged in the adapter and nothing worked. Finally, I got to my destination and parked the car for ten minutes or so. When I returned it worked perfectly. I guess the **** thing just has a need to have a bitchy day every now and then.

·
Registered
2017 718 Boxster - Graphite Blue Metallic
128 Posts
This is the one I got from Amazon, works perfectly:

I got mine off ebay shipped from China (to Australia) and arrived in about 10 days. I expect it is the same as on Amazon. Just make sure it is clearly labelled as carplay adapter. There are other devices made by carlinkit that provide android auto so don't get that one since that does not work on a 718 as far as I know.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Upgrading the firmware, at least on my CARPLAY2air device, was an ultra simple procedure using my iPhone. I very simply just entered a URL into the internet browser on my iPhone when it was connected to the adapter. I just touched the indicated available update and everything else just happened relatively quickly. Not sure what your referring to with your reference to a USB drive. This is clearly covered in the instruction and the instructions also provides a QR code so you don't even have to enter the URL.
In the thread I posted, many people have bricked their device using the OTA method you describe. Slightly less have bricked them by simply downloading the update file and putting it on a USB stick and plugging it into the device. Either is a risk of bricking, but the USB stick with a good USB power supply seems to be the most reliable. I think the best advice is not to do updates unless you need them. But really, it seems that generally people with Porsches have good experiences all round with these devices compared to some other cars. I expect if you had a car with less than good USB power source, the chance of bricking is higher.

·
Registered
6 Posts
All the dongles are bascially the same hardware inside. Where they differ is in cables etc. They can also all run the same firmwares. Joyauto do have their own range of firmware, but you can load that into the others and many accidentally did that and it is difficult to get it off that firmware but you can by updating to a particular firmware. So functionally they can all pretty much work the same assuming they have the same firmware. I have the Carlinkit 2. Just because it is a little more versatile in terms of the cable as you can fit any length cable.

On the firmware upgrades. Many people have bricked these. Doing an update is a significant risk of bricking. I have only upgraded once, and I did it with a USB drive and a good iPad power brick. I had no issue. I think it is safer to do it on a known supply than the USB in the car.

These devices don't work that great on some cars, but thankfully they work quite well with the PSM4 on the 718.

If you have a few days spare time... lots of info here: CarPlay adapter to convert to wireless CarPlay?
Carlinkit 2 also uses the 5 GHz wifi protocol rather than 2.4GHz, which may be faster. That, in addition to the fact that carlinkit 2 has a removable UBS-C cable rather than a hardwired cable to the dongle was why I chose Carlinkit 2. I also have had a pretty good experience with my 718. However, it often times pops up the screen to choose between iphone and ipod even though I have checked the box to remember this setting. Doesn't happen every time but often enough to be annoying. Still better than taking my iphone out of my pocket and having to plug it in everytime.

·
Registered
2017 718 Boxster - Graphite Blue Metallic
128 Posts
In theory, should be.

Some are really odd. While I don’t think there is any difference, if you follow my other link you’ll see some odd things when you click through the “colors”. They may all be the same inside with the same firmware but it’s impossible to know for sure it seems until someone tries it.

If we were in Vegas, I’d bet it will work just fine.

I went for this one because it was cheaper (and they're all the same, right?). I'll report back on my luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In theory, should be.

Some are really odd. While I don’t think there is any difference, if you follow my other link you’ll see some odd things when you click through the “colors”. They may all be the same inside with the same firmware but it’s impossible to know for sure it seems until someone tries it.

If we were in Vegas, I’d bet it will work just fine.
Glad to be the guinea pig... ;-)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Glad I found this. I have wireless in my daily car and I cringed having to go back to wired car play. Just put my order in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got an ad on FB that the CPLAY2AIR is on sale for $99 for two days, I've been considering one so I pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've gad my CPLAY2AIR for a couple of weeks now and I think it works fine. It works just as well as with a cable. For me Carplay is a bit slow to activate. Sometimes it's more or less instant, but most of the time it takes around 20 seconds. That was also the case when using cable. Not ideal, but I can live with it.

One thing that I'm a little bit concerned about is if the adapter drains the car battery because it's plugged in all the time. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer if the USB port is "hot" all the time or if it shuts down after a while. I'm leaning towards that it shuts down after some time, though. Anyone know about this? I drive my car most every day so it shouldn't be a problem anyway, but maybe it's best to disconnect the adapter if I know I won't be driving for a couple of days?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have the carlinkit version which is identical to cplay2air. I have mine permanently plugged in and can leave my car for a week or two without driving sometimes and have had no issues with battery drain. Also I notice that the USB seems to go hot when you open a door, and for several minutes after you drive it. I notice this because the dongle connects to my phone during this time as I walk in and out of range and I get notifications from iOS thinking I am driving somewhere so giving me an ETA. After some time this stops, so I assume the dongle is depowered. I am confident it is not permanently powered.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have the carlinkit version which is identical to cplay2air. I have mine permanently plugged in and can leave my car for a week or two without driving sometimes and have had no issues with battery drain. Also I notice that the USB seems to go hot when you open a door, and for several minutes after you drive it. I notice this because the dongle connects to my phone during this time as I walk in and out of range and I get notifications from iOS thinking I am driving somewhere so giving me an ETA. After some time this stops, so I assume the dongle is depowered. I am confident it is not permanently powered.
The canbus times out after 2 minutes of the car doors being shut and locked, if left unlocked 15minutes to time out, so there’s no permanent power supply available to the under arm or glovebox usb.
cheers

21 - 35 of 35 Posts