Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
960 miles on my new Cayman in 2 months, took delivery mid-January.

Appreciate that it’s not run in yet but so far I am underwhelmed.

It’s fast enough, even while keeping the RPM down and I enjoy it on the motorway which is somewhere I rarely drive these days.

I don’t know what it is but I just haven’t gelled with the car, it certainly gets a lot of admiring glances and little boys love it but, tho drive, I’m just not getting the experience. My last car was an F-Type which was a lot more refined and sounded awesome, I bought the Cayman to experience a more pure sports car and expected what I have got I suppose.

I’ve no idea why I’m posting this other than to try and express my view and hope that someone is going to tell me that they felt the same initially then grew to love it.

As I feel right now it will probably be seen in the classifieds soon.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Which Cayman did you get, and where are you driving it? On a good road these things are brilliant - I dont think they have the raw grunt of the F-Type (engine dependent) however they are very much scalpel to the Jag's sledgehammer.
I picked up mine around the same time as you and I'm loving it, regardless of having to keep it in the boring half of the tach for another 500 miles.

Of course life would be boring if we all liked the same thing and maybe, just maybe its not for you. Would be interesting to know did you test drive one first?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which Cayman did you get, and where are you driving it? On a good road these things are brilliant - I dont think they have the raw grunt of the F-Type (engine dependent) however they are very much scalpel to the Jag's sledgehammer.
I picked up mine around the same time as you and I'm loving it, regardless of having to keep it in the boring half of the tach for another 500 miles.

Of course life would be boring if we all liked the same thing and maybe, just maybe its not for you. Would be interesting to know did you test drive one first?
It’s a base model, I’ve been mainly running around town, we did have a weekend in the Cotswolds last month and that was largely enjoyable. I suppose I’m seeking a sports car that is 100% enjoyable if there is such a thing.

I didn’t test drive but that is not unusual for me, I cannot recall the last car I tested.

I suppose it’s no big deal, if it has to go the market is strong a new orders will be a long wait so resale should be easy, possible profitable.

·
Registered
2017 718 Cayman S
610 Posts
Do you have PASM? If a 718 base model is anything like a 981 Boxster/Cayman S with the regular suspension, then I agree with you that it's boring and staid. I had some trepidation that my 718 CS with S-PASM would feel similar (I bought it sight unseen out of state having never seen a 718 much less test driven one) but I was completely and utterly wrong. From the get-go whether in standard or Sport mode, the suspension tuning was that perfect balance of sporty/track-focused and comfortable for daily driving. The throttle response and low-end torque were much more flexible compared to the old flat-6 that needed 5000+ rpm to come alive. I can't think of a better car except maybe a GTS but a C-GTS would really have to blow me away to trade up to one. I really feel like the 718 CS is the perfect balance of daily-use, track and wallet-friendly... well, as wallet-friendly as a late-model Porsche gets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have PASM? If a 718 base model is anything like a 981 Boxster/Cayman S with the regular suspension, then I agree with you that it's boring and staid. I had some trepidation that my 718 CS with S-PASM would feel similar (I bought it sight unseen out of state having never seen a 718 much less test driven one) but I was completely and utterly wrong. From the get-go whether in standard or Sport mode, the suspension tuning was that perfect balance of sporty/track-focused and comfortable for daily driving. The throttle response and low-end torque was perfect compared to the old flat-6 that needed 5000+ rpm to come alive. I can't think of a better car except maybe a GTS but a C-GTS would really have to blow me away to trade up to one. I really feel like the 718 CS is the perfect balance of daily-use, track and wallet-friendly... well, as wallet-friendly as a late-model Porsche gets.
I do have PASM, the ride is OK, I find the engine a little coarse and, being so close by, all the various noises a bit irritating.

I’ve just come to a shock realisation, maybe I have been craving the silence of an EV all this time!

Now that’s worrying.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
980 miles is barely run in. You need to be at 1800 miles before you give it ze beans! Also if you want a quieter cabin, pull the soundakator fuse. You'll be surprised. No more fake sound coming from the speakers.

These cars are amazing when pushing on. Have you done your Porsche experience day yet? If not, get it booked. You'll see what they can do. Pootling around town isn't what these are designed for but go and give it a blast around the Breacons if they're close or North Wales. You'll see it come alive, and no they don't have the sound of the F Type especially the V8 but they sound better than the 2.0.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I’ve been busy specking up a Macan S today, could buy a cheap convertible for the Mrs to add to the fleet I suppose.
One of the chaps in PCGB sold his 2.5 GTS for a Macan S not so long ago. Needless to say he sold it within 6 months and bought an Alpine as they don't do the 2.5 and the 4.0 is too big a displacement for him.

I would suggest test driving before you buy.

·
Registered
2022 AGM Cayman 2.0 6M
979 Posts
I’m sorry Bongo, it can’t be a good feeling for you. I won’t agree or disagree, this is a very personal/objective thing after all. I will however volunteer that as a base 718C owner without any performance goodies (factory or aftermarket) and 2.2k miles in, I’m finding it to be a super exciting experience, every turn, corner, freeway, or “errand” I can make up.

It’s 100% what I wanted to spend on a build, and approx 75% of what I maybe desired trim-wise. You seem to come from a already established sports car background, while I’m coming from a history of Honda/Acura/Lexus experiences, where I loved thrashing my 5-spd Civics and enjoyed the comfort of the Lexus IS that pretended to be a sports sedan. So maybe that drastic transition alone feeds into my experience… and who knows, maybe I will at some point find myself desiring something different. But for now, and for the foreseeable future, barring I don’t have a significant lower back relapse or suffer a physical ailment, I hope to scrunch my 6’4 frame into the 718 cabin every day that I can.

Good luck to you and whatever you decide.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You asked for opinions. My opinion is that first impressions are usually spot on. I would have an F Type if I did not already own an V8 Audi S5, which have similar weights. The F Type is beautiful. No contest in comparison to the Cayman, which is the weaker sister in looks. I really doubt the 4.0 GTS will be that different for you.

·
Registered
2022 AGM Cayman 2.0 6M
979 Posts
You asked for opinions. My opinion is that first impressions are usually spot on. I would have an F Type if I did not already own an V8 Audi S5, which have similar weights. The F Type is beautiful. No contest in comparison to the Cayman, which is the weaker sister in looks. I really doubt the 4.0 GTS will be that different for you.
F Type is gorgeous… there is no doubt about that.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
I do have PASM, the ride is OK, I find the engine a little coarse and, being so close by, all the various noises a bit irritating.

I’ve just come to a shock realisation, maybe I have been craving the silence of an EV all this time!

Now that’s worrying.
As others have said, you might want to disable the soundaktor and see if that helps. A friend of ours has a GTI which also has exactly that same device, and he found it extremely irritating. It's an easy fix though!

I'm at about 1300 miles I think on mine. And it did take me a few drives to finally click. It's a process I think with most new cars. I'd get it out there and push it a bit and see how you feel then.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have had a base Cayman with PASM for the past 1.5 years. I came from a BMW M5 F10, so from 560hp to 300hp. The Porsche blew the BMW away on looks but here were things on the BMW I preferred. However, surprisingly dropping power has ever been an issue!

I liked the Cayman, then after a couple of months I decided to take it to the Brecon Beacons to see what this 'world leading' handling was all about.

It was bad timing as too many buses and lorries on the road so decided to take it from Hirwaun to Treherbert and where I discovered most of the road had been recently resurfaced.
I could only describe it as 'wow'. I actually said it out loud and I was in the car by myself! I have been driving for 40 years and no other car affected me enough for me to said that. I have had Renault 5 Turbo, MR2, RX8, etc so had fun cars in the past but nothing compared to the Cayman.
Anyway, that is my thoughts on the car.
Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
@Bongo, you need to drive it carefully until your break-in period is over, and then when the time is right you push it hard. You will be amazed at how the "only 2-liter" engine responds and how precisely the car corners. Oh, and you need to push the Sport button. Absolutely, and absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'll say that my Boxster GTS 4.0 is much more fun to drive on the other side of break-in than it was before. Starting an acceleration run from 4000 RPM instead of finishing it at 4000 RPM is what this car is about.

My previous car was a Camaro ZL1, which was better at lugging along at low RPM. So yeah, I was a little disappointed at first, but now that I can enjoy 4-7.8k, I'm having a fantastic time.

Most GT cars are going to feel a lot nicer cruising than these cars will. Of all the "pure" sports cars I've driven, though, this is the best at cruising. Miata, S2K and Corvette are nowhere near as comfy/refined.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Having just jumped from an 2018 Audi RS3 to a 2018 Cayman GTS, I initially had the same thoughts as you. I wasn't sure what all the hype was about.
Yes the Cayman handles extremely well. But its sound isn't great and the gearing is way too tall for you to actually feel the power.
Definitely pull the fuse for the fake engine noise, that helped. But even still, the Caymam is just loud inside compared to other high performance cars.

Really I think the gearing is the main issue, it really mutes the torque quite a bit. You going fast, it just doesn't feel like it and that takes away from the experience.
The engine sound is fine and growing on me, but its certainly not a RS3 sound.

I miss the RS3 and I think it's actually the perfect car. Someone at work saw the Cayman and asked if that was my dream car, I said I don't think so. Pretty sure it was my RS3. However I got a crazy amount of money for my RS3 trade in so I decided to try something different.

The Cayman is nice to drive, but I think it really only shines on a track (Where you can use the tall gearing) where as the RS3 shined on the road.
It depends on what you are looking for but a used RS3 can be had for not too bad money nowadays and it has what it sounds like you are missing.

2 pennies from me...

·
Registered
2021 BGTS 4.0
92 Posts
As others have said, it really is a personal preference, and I think you already know. I've loved my BGTS 4.0 since the first few seconds of driving it off the lot. I've never regretted it for one second. I've wanted more and tuned the engine and am looking at exhaust but don't regret it at all. F-Type R is a fantastic car but now you're looking at a very different price range than the base 718 so I would expect different cars. In any event, good luck to you, I think you know what to do, life is too short, be happy!

·
Registered
2021 CT 6MT
103 Posts
Having just jumped from an 2018 Audi RS3 to a 2018 Cayman GTS, I initially had the same thoughts as you. I wasn't sure what all the hype was about.
Yes the Cayman handles extremely well. But its sound isn't great and the gearing is way too tall for you to actually feel the power.
i too had a 2018 RS3 ... for about 10 months before i traded it away for what was my fourth STi. the only redeeming quality of that car was the AMAZING five pot, but everything else was a complete let down. from the pathetic DSG to the terribly uncomfortable seats, and the ridiculous rear-end lift when braking hard, i could not wait to get rid of it. BUT, JFC, was it fast.

Audi RS 3 and BBS CI-Rs

i think @Bongo needs to find a mate with an F-Type, destroy them on a twisty, country road and then see if they can come to grips with how amazing the platform is for driving purity. and don't sweat the break-in too much. beat the sh*t out of it after 1600 Kms.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Concur, totally a personal preference, but believe post break-in fun may sway your preference. My lovely Bride thoroughly enjoys her SL450, especially the added luxury and softer ride quality. I also find it's fun to drive and in sport, which firms up the suspension, enhances agility, makes it quite engaging...but it's just far too heavy and isolating for my taste. Our BS was perfect for me. Our new BGTS will fit in nicely...making us a sort of Papa Bear / Mama Bear household.

• Love
Reactions: Raven
1 - 20 of 90 Posts