Porsche 718 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
I want to be Spike Feresten on Car Matchmaker. Tell me what you love and dont' love about cars and your budget and I'll find your the perfect car :)

@Bongo we're all hoping you find the right car. I don't care if it's a 718. It may not be the right car at all.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman T
15 Posts
I think the biggest “deficiency” of the 718 is that it handles so **** good! Curves that would be exciting in most cars, even really good sports cars, are boring in a 718. Combine that with the boxer 4 sound, if you don’t like it, and your driving experience may be lacking.

I had a 987 Cayman S and loved the engine sound. But I rarely miss it because the 2-liter puts out the same power as my old 3.4, and as much low end torque as the new 4.0. And the handling is in another league.

There isn’t another car out there that has the nimbleness of its light, mid-engine layout, and its relative comfort, for anywhere near the price. Maybe not at all. But until you really push this car in the curves, it won’t be fun. At least that’s my opinion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the biggest “deficiency” of the 718 is that it handles so **** good! Curves that would be exciting in most cars, even really good sports cars, are boring in a 718. Combine that with the boxer 4 sound, if you don’t like it, and your driving experience may be lacking.

I had a 987 Cayman S and loved the engine sound. But I rarely miss it because the 2-liter puts out the same power as my old 3.4, and as much low end torque as the new 4.0. And the handling is in another league.

There isn’t another car out there that has the nimbleness of its light, mid-engine layout, and its relative comfort, for anywhere near the price. Maybe not at all. But until you really push this car in the curves, it won’t be fun. At least that’s my opinion.
Completely disagree. Just revving the 4.0 in a stop sign or a stop light is an intoxicating experience. Normal highway driving at over 3,800 rpm bring an amazing sound and experience. 30 min in the right road can replace two hours of therapy.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
Completely disagree. Just revving the 4.0 in a stop sign or a stop light is an intoxicating experience. Normal highway driving at over 3,800 rpm bring an amazing sound and experience. 30 min in the right road can replace two hours of therapy.
"Right road" are the key 2 words. If I lived in a city and mostly drove on straight roads or in traffic, does it matter that my car is mid-engine? It would make absolutely no difference in the experience. It only makes a difference on the right roads (or track)

So I can see how for some people this would not work out as a good choice.

·
Registered
2017 718 Cayman S
610 Posts
We get it, the 4.0 F6 sounds good. That said, the snobbery that 4.0 owners have when any of us F4T owners have the temerity to praise our engines gets a little old 🤷

·
Registered
32 Posts
We get it, the 4.0 F6 sounds good. That said, the snobbery that 4.0 owners have when any of us F4T owners have the temerity to praise our engines gets a little old 🤷
Not snobbery. That's the only experience I have. By the way, I drove the 4 for a very short period and actually loved the engine sound. My assumption is that the experience I described above will be the same for me in base or an S.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lol...the sound issue never seems to die for the 718... There is an issue with the 718 both base and S models re engine performance in normal drive. I drove my little 2.0 base 718 Boxster for about 5,000 miles and realized that it needs to be in Sport mode to make for an enjoyable ride around town and on the back roads. If I want decent gas mileage on the interstate - I will put it in normal mode for long drives - especially if the top is up. But around my back roads she stays in Sport Mode and 300 hp in such a light car is plenty of power. Back to the sound - I did not like the rough sound of the 2.0 engine. So, after about that first 5,000 miles, I had AWE install a touring exhaust which smooths out the engine noise quite nicely. Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I always enjoyed our BS engine sound, which had become a ferocious growl by the time it had 5,000 miles, even without PSE. Thus, I'm somewhat concerned about the 4.0's sound and whether it will please me without having to add an OAP, something that will probably occur anyway.

Reactions: Raven

·
Registered
283 Posts
I always enjoyed our BS engine sound, which had become a ferocious growl by the time it had 5,000 miles, even without PSE. Thus, I'm somewhat concerned about the 4.0's sound and whether it will please me without having to add an OAP, something that will probably occur anyway.
I think most of the people who are displeased with the 4.0’s sound are coming from a 981 S or GTS. I am coming from a 987 Cayman S without PSE and have driven a few 718 S cars and the 4.0 is much better to my ears than those cars. I don’t have much seat time in a 981. A friend of mine had a 981 Cayman S with a PDK and PSE, and I did think it sounded phenomenal when PSE was engaged. That said, I only drove it a handful of times and it’s not near enough in my memory to compare to the 4.0.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
1,116 Posts
Engine/exhaust sound is not my absolute highest priority (I'd put engine feel and responsiveness above sound), but that said, I am unaware of anyone that doesn't think the sound of the 4.0 is a vast improvement over the 718 4-cylinders. Personally I had a non-PSE 2014 981 Cayman S and the 4.0 sound is well superior to that, even without it PSE engaged. But the 4.0 is not quite as good as my old 997S w/PSE that had more pops and gurgles on downshifts. And, as I've stated elsewhere, everything sounds like a sewing machine compared to my neighbors 991.2 GT3. There are several videos on YouTube that show the GTS 4.0 on a track or winding road and the narrators almost always make a big deal of how good it sounds.

P.S. The best sounding car I ever owned was a 1978 Datsun B210 GX. It had about 70 horsepower, 30 of which I used to power a Nakamichi 350 under dash cassette deck, Fosgate amp and pre-amp, and two Rodgers Studio speakers in the back hatch. Would drive it onto a Lake Erie beach at night after a summer softball game pop the hatch, stand the speakers up and it took less than 5 minutes to have a party of a hundred or more listening to Meatloaf around bonfires. That car's top speed was exactly half of my GTS 4.0 (91 vs. 182), but I dare say I saw more "paradise by the dashboard lights" in it than I will in any Porsche. :)

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
I think most of the people who are displeased with the 4.0’s sound are coming from a 981 S or GTS. I am coming from a 987 Cayman S without PSE and have driven a few 718 S cars and the 4.0 is much better to my ears than those cars. I don’t have much seat time in a 981. A friend of mine had a 981 Cayman S with a PDK and PSE, and I did think it sounded phenomenal when PSE was engaged. That said, I only drove it a handful of times and it’s not near enough in my memory to compare to the 4.0.
or anyone who has had other flat 6’s from Porsche. The volume is much lower, but the tone/timbre is also very different.

Easily fixed though if it bothers anyone.

·
Registered
2020 Boxster 718 S, Chalk, "Bella Beast"
236 Posts
The last dozen or so posts commenting about engine/sound reminds me of this thread:

·
Registered
Cayman GTS 4.0
280 Posts
The EU has strict legislation regarding emissions and exhaust noise and that filters down to cars sold worldwide even if they are unaffected by such legislation. In the US you can make modifications that would be illegal in the EU and UK. Timbre and tone is fine as long as it's not louder or dirtier.

Of course, many ignore the rules and regs and lots of suppliers sell such systems with the small print caveat of being "not for public road use".

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Engine/exhaust sound is not my absolute highest priority (I'd put engine feel and responsiveness above sound), but that said, I am unaware of anyone that doesn't think the sound of the 4.0 is a vast improvement over the 718 4-cylinders. Personally I had a non-PSE 2014 981 Cayman S and the 4.0 sound is well superior to that, even without it PSE engaged. But the 4.0 is not quite as good as my old 997S w/PSE that had more pops and gurgles on downshifts. And, as I've stated elsewhere, everything sounds like a sewing machine compared to my neighbors 991.2 GT3. There are several videos on YouTube that show the GTS 4.0 on a track or winding road and the narrators almost always make a big deal of how good it sounds.

P.S. The best sounding car I ever owned was a 1978 Datsun B210 GX. It had about 70 horsepower, 30 of which I used to power a Nakamichi 350 under dash cassette deck, Fosgate amp and pre-amp, and two Rodgers Studio speakers in the back hatch. Would drive it onto a Lake Erie beach at night after a summer softball game pop the hatch, stand the speakers up and it took less than 5 minutes to have a party of a hundred or more listening to Meatloaf around bonfires. That car's top speed was exactly half of my GTS 4.0 (91 vs. 182), but I dare say I saw more "paradise by the dashboard lights" in it than I will in any Porsche. :)
Pretty sure the best sounding car I ever owned wasn't the 850 Spider :LOL:

Seriously, the best sounding ride I ever owned was my '69 Datsun SRL311. That roadster's 150 HP 2 litre's wail positively ripped a hole in the atmosphere that could be heard from other galaxies...it had race headers to a straight pipe out the back, obviously unmuted by what appeared to be a muffler in between...but was not. Punching it in a tunnel or underpass was sheer ear shattering bliss. I'm ever hopeful the BGTS will sound similar with OAPs.

Reactions: nova996

·
Registered
132 Posts
While I agree that the flat six makes a nicer exhaust note than the turbo four, I find the point kind of moot. The sound is only a byproduct of the design and does nothing to add to the performance of the car. Havig said this, if you find the sound annoying then it can be a problem. Personally, the exhaust note is far down on my list of priorities when selecting a vehicle. I will admit my friends GT3 sounds amazing, while the sound of my turbo four Cayman is not all that sexy.

I am also an avid motorcyclist and own a couple of sport touring bikes. For those of you who ride two wheels you know well how much stock Harley riders put in the sound of their single pin crankshaft V-twins, and how important it is to them. You see them at the stop lights, blipping the throttle and looking around to make sure they are being noticed. Yet the bikes are antiquated tools by comparison to bikes from Europe and Japan, with the exception of the new Pan America.

I don't think I would ever let a particular exhaust note sway my purchase decision one way or another.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Spent the weekend in the Cayman on a short holiday.
Ended the trip with the clock on 1200 miles, it is starting to feel a lot better to me.

The roads were just ideal for the car, very little potholed city centre driving and plenty of twisty A roads.

I think that the car won't be as 'do all' as I had hoped and will be kept for fun days and perfect roads.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Spent the weekend in the Cayman on a short holiday.
Ended the trip with the clock on 1200 miles, it is starting to feel a lot better to me.
I think that the car won't be as 'do all' as I had hoped and will be kept for fun days and perfect roads.
Great!

FWIW, if the "do all" part is limited by the fact that it is so nice and so expensive that you are afraid of it developing any wear or getting hurt, then you will never find a great "do all" car. Otherwise, the only "do all" limitation is the limited carrying space.

Reactions: Chalk18
61 - 80 of 90 Posts