Porsche 718 Forum banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
1,116 Posts
Great!

FWIW, if the "do all" part is limited by the fact that it is so nice and so expensive that you are afraid of it developing any wear or getting hurt, then you will never find a great "do all" car. Otherwise, the only "do all" limitation is the limited carrying space.
As someone that put 47k miles on my 2014 Cayman S in 8.5 years, I am generally an advocate for it as a daily driver. Under most circumstances. Cold rain, probably not. Snow, definitely not. Congested urban or poorly maintained streets, depends on my mood.

But even with my daily driver advocacy, that's a big difference from "do all", capacity limitations aside. Our BMW X5d is a "do all" vehicle. I couldn't have a Porsche sports car in the garage without something else accompanying it, even if I was single and never went to Home Depot for a 2 x 4.

·
Registered
132 Posts
As someone that put 47k miles on my 2014 Cayman S in 8.5 years, I am generally an advocate for it as a daily driver. Under most circumstances. Cold rain, probably not. Snow, definitely not. Congested urban or poorly maintained streets, depends on my mood.

But even with my daily driver advocacy, that's a big difference from "do all", capacity limitations aside. Our BMW X5d is a "do all" vehicle. I couldn't have a Porsche sports car in the garage without something else accompanying it, even if I was single and never went to Home Depot for a 2 x 4.
I agree. Love driving the Cayman but for me it would not make a good daily vehicle. I have a Toyota Tacoma for daily duty and odd jobs. Super reliable and it will easily last 250,000 miles. Have owned it for 10 years now and it has never so much as had a hiccup. Even has all the original parts other than consumable items.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lol...the sound issue never seems to die for the 718... There is an issue with the 718 both base and S models re engine performance in normal drive. I drove my little 2.0 base 718 Boxster for about 5,000 miles and realized that it needs to be in Sport mode to make for an enjoyable ride around town and on the back roads. If I want decent gas mileage on the interstate - I will put it in normal mode for long drives - especially if the top is up. But around my back roads she stays in Sport Mode and 300 hp in such a light car is plenty of power. Back to the sound - I did not like the rough sound of the 2.0 engine. So, after about that first 5,000 miles, I had AWE install a touring exhaust which smooths out the engine noise quite nicely. Best of luck.
I had a 981 CS, and it had same issues.....it was mandatory to put it is Sport every time I got in it.
It's not just a 718 thing....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Did the OP ever specify if he had a PDK or 6MT?? I never saw it.....

Kinda sounds like my 981 experience

I got my 981 CS w/PDK after searching for my unicorn spec for months...when one finally popped that looked like my unicorn I hopped on a plane to San Jose and grabbed it, thinking I could live with the PDK after all the rave reviews.

I loved the car, but was never really in love with it.....I sold it the other day after 2.5 years to get back into an MT

Now I'm heading to AZ sometime this week to pick up a base 718 6MT and I cant wait!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Did the OP ever specify if he had a PDK or 6MT?? I never saw it.....

Kinda sounds like my 981 experience

I got my 981 CS w/PDK after searching for my unicorn spec for months...when one finally popped that looked like my unicorn I hopped on a plane to San Jose and grabbed it, thinking I could live with the PDK after all the rave reviews.

I loved the car, but was never really in love with it.....I sold it the other day after 2.5 years to get back into an MT

Now I'm heading to AZ sometime this week to pick up a base 718 6MT and I cant wait!!!
It was PDK.

7 months in I sold it to a Porsche dealer at a reasonable profit.

I did grow to like the car b it decided that I loved the look rather than driving it.

Maybe a sports exhaust would have been the solution but not available on a new order last year.

Replacement not decided.

·
Registered
718 Cayman T
39 Posts
OP, I know you've already sold it. But I just wanted to share my own experience since I think I have an idea of where you're coming from. Hopefully, this might help others who might be feeling the same.

My initial 982 experience was measured against several years in a GTI MK7.5. I would say that making the jump from GTI to 982 cannot be justified on the "power" feel alone. In most practical scenarios, the GTI's snappiness felt on par with the 982.

use your Cayman in the manner it was designed for, and it will reward you.
The big difference (and what really sold me) was when I sent these cars in the hills and backroads. The GTI's handling is great... for its price. The 982's handling is on a different level. The steering precision, the planted feel around corners, the boost on tap when you're in rev range - all of these things that make the 982 so special would only shine when the car was pushed.

I find the engine a little coarse and, being so close by, all the various noises a bit irritating.
For city cruising, I personally prefer my GTI since it is quieter and more compliant. The 982 - with the engine right behind you - is a more visceral experience. This feeling (more specifically, the constant loud and low rumble) can become rather draining over long periods on end without any other significant driver engagements in the mix.

I’ve just come to a shock realisation, maybe I have been craving the silence of an EV all this time!
Ha! I drove the ID.4 recently and I have to say that the peace-and-quiet of the cabin was a rather calming escape from the surrounding bustle of city traffic :)

·
Registered
2022 AGM Cayman 2.0 6M
983 Posts
Appreciate this thread and can understand all opinions. My Cayman is a daily, averaging about 22-25 miles/day overall, including some occasional weekend runs.

90% of the time I’m driving alone, which in itself justifies the size for me. When I take my son to school, it can get a little tight with the backpack, my work stuff, etc… but that’s only a short part of the AM commute otherwise. I was worried I wouldn’t enjoy the car in 50/50 city/interstate traffic, but that thankfully hasn’t been the case… I’m loving it. I do think my expectations are lesser than most, so admit that. This is kinda why I was so easily comfortable with a very scaled down build too… and also how coming from a history of Hondas, Acuras, and Lexus has helped me appreciate/enjoy the Porsche for the majority of times it’s not being pushed.

I think often about getting a 3rd car, but I’m such a garage guy that with room for only 2, the idea of intentionally keeping something parked in the street/driveway doesn’t sit well with me. Having said that, we will likely enter into a 3rd car situation when we upgrade my wife’s SUV in 1-2 years and keep her current car for when my son turns 16 in a few. So I’ll plan to use that + the Cayman weekly until he’s ready to drive.

Oh, it’s terrible, but I don’t mind the looks and thumbs up from others too… even the police, it makes the experience only more fun/enjoyable.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had a base Cayman with PASM for the past 1.5 years. I came from a BMW M5 F10, so from 560hp to 300hp. The Porsche blew the BMW away on looks but here were things on the BMW I preferred. However, surprisingly dropping power has ever been an issue!

I liked the Cayman, then after a couple of months I decided to take it to the Brecon Beacons to see what this 'world leading' handling was all about.

It was bad timing as too many buses and lorries on the road so decided to take it from Hirwaun to Treherbert and where I discovered most of the road had been recently resurfaced.
I could only describe it as 'wow'. I actually said it out loud and I was in the car by myself! I have been driving for 40 years and no other car affected me enough for me to said that. I have had Renault 5 Turbo, MR2, RX8, etc so had fun cars in the past but nothing compared to the Cayman.
Anyway, that is my thoughts on the car.
View attachment 40385

View attachment 40386
what a beautiful color!!

81 - 90 of 90 Posts