Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
I use a Dual XGPS160 which comes with a rubber friction holder that just sits on the dashboard. It allows multiple device connections at the same time, so my iPhone in the armrest and the iPhone in my pocket can be connected at the same time. I have been slightly over a G in turns and the GPS has not moved an iota on the dash, but during a recent DE, I put it in a sturdy suction mount on the windshield to appease my instructor. It is the red thing on the windshielin this picture.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is one thing I would add. It is something I never thought I would want in mine before I use my car everyday.
Aluminium doors sills gards.
My feet tend to brush a lot there when getiing in and out, and on the default black plastic ones it shows a lot.
I know it can sound silly, but its not an expensive option and I m getting it next time 😁

·
Registered
223 Posts
There is one thing I would add. It is something I never thought I would want in mine before I use my car everyday.
My feet tend to brush a lot there when getiing in and out, and on the default black plastic ones it shows a lot.
I know it can sound silly, but its not an expensive option and I m getting it next time 😁
I totally get that. Every time I enter and exit the car I stop and remind myself NOT to scruff the door sills ..... easier said than done :p

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Amusingly, under the "Aluminum" section it lists "Door Sill Guards in Stainless Steel" 🤔.

It looks like there is still plastic around that metal, so wouldn't that plastic surround still get scuffed?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Why wait? You can buy them from Suncoast! $280.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Question: I see "Dashboard Trim Pkg in Full Leather" - it doesn't seem to add much.

I will already have the $2500 full leather beige/black interior, which, please affirm what configurator seems to show: you get leather on nearly all of the door parts, leather dash above cupholder area, leather over ignition area, leather shade over tach, leather along center console.

And with two-tone it seems to do deviated stitching in luxor beige thread on black leather.

Just trying to be hyper-vigilant so when sales man says allocation is here I won't have any questions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have full leather with brushed aluminium package. I dont feel like I meed more leather in my full leather, but if the leather package cover the same areas as aluminium package the its for the strips on each door, and the cup holder strip + another strip on the center console arround the stick.

"leather on nearly all of the door parts, leather dash above cupholder area, leather over ignition area, leather shade over tach, leather along center console."
I have all that as part of the full leather option without the extra leather package. And the leather seats of course.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
When I had my car covered in a PPF I also had my door sills covered. That way when people enter/exit or you bring the car in for service they won't scratch the pristine factory door sills. I had that done on both my 3RS and 2RS, though , mine were/are CF not sure if that can be done on the stainless steel door sills but I suspect you can.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Amusingly, under the "Aluminum" section it lists "Door Sill Guards in Stainless Steel" 🤔.

It looks like there is still plastic around that metal, so wouldn't that plastic surround still get scuffed?

View attachment 23513
The metal still scuffs. It's easier to clean though than the plastic. My avatar picture is the backlit sill guard on my car

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Getting concerned on this. I fly to Germany on 24-Sep. Still no new information from sales guy about Porsche's model production re-jiggering (from GT4 and Spyder additions) impeding new 718 builds.

How long does it take for a build until a Euro delivery pickup can be driven?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Getting concerned on this. I fly to Germany on 24-Sep. Still no new information from sales guy about Porsche's model production re-jiggering (from GT4 and Spyder additions) impeding new 718 builds.

How long does it take for a build until a Euro delivery pickup can be driven?
You car may already be built. While this is not for Porsche, this is my BMW ED experience for a similar calendar time frame as you.
I did European Delivery in September for a BMW a few years back. I placed the order in June that year. Looking back at the records, my car was built the same week. I chose an odd set of options such as manual hence it was not a standard car. Given the summer holidays, my impression is they plan ahead for the post summer pickups.

BMWNA had confirmed to me the pickup time/date to me so i was all set. I assume you have that appointment already set?

my 2 cents. looking forward to seeing how your experience is with this delivery as I plan to do one next year! Good luck!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
You car may already be built. While this is not for Porsche, this is my BMW ED experience for a similar calendar time frame as you.
I did European Delivery in September for a BMW a few years back. I placed the order in June that year. Looking back at the records, my car was built the same week. I chose an odd set of options such as manual hence it was not a standard car. Given the summer holidays, my impression is they plan ahead for the post summer pickups.

BMWNA had confirmed to me the pickup time/date to me so i was all set. I assume you have that appointment already set?

my 2 cents. looking forward to seeing how your experience is with this delivery as I plan to do one next year! Good luck!
I appreciate your optimism, but there is no way my build is completed.

I have only put down a tiny deposit to the dealer. He has yet to come to me for anything beyond that. No, "we got the allocation". No "this is the freeze date after which you cannot change your order". And no "will that be paid all cash or do you want financing?"

·
Registered
137 Posts
For what it's worth, I don't think the size of your deposit nor a discussion about how you will ultimately pay for the car has any bearing on whether or not production has started or finished. That said, the dealer certainly should be able to tell you where you stand in the process from allocation to delivery.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
For what it's worth, I don't think the size of your deposit nor a discussion about how you will ultimately pay for the car has any bearing on whether or not production has started or finished. That said, the dealer certainly should be able to tell you where you stand in the process from allocation to delivery.
Oh, I have no delusions about that. I'm beholden to the Germans. Nothing I could do/say to change this kind of situation.

I'll pester the sales bro in a few days. He did say I'm at the top of the list to get a 718 allocation when it becomes available. Got his name from a PCA member, and he's ex-Marine, so I trust his Semper Fi to not jerk me around.

On that note, being an order, I know I don't have much negotiating power. When in the process would you folks think I could seek any possible discount? Hard to have leverage. I figured if I can't get much if any discount, at least being ex-military I'm OK with losing out on some dollars to a veteran.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oh, I have no delusions about that. I'm beholden to the Germans. Nothing I could do/say to change this kind of situation.

I'll pester the sales bro in a few days. He did say I'm at the top of the list to get a 718 allocation when it becomes available. Got his name from a PCA member, and he's ex-Marine, so I trust his Semper Fi to not jerk me around.

On that note, being an order, I know I don't have much negotiating power. When in the process would you folks think I could seek any possible discount? Hard to have leverage. I figured if I can't get much if any discount, at least being ex-military I'm OK with losing out on some dollars to a veteran.
Final price negotiations for me were done when we wrote the sales order (written as x% off MSRP, so changing options kept the "deal" the same)

But wait, do you not even have an allocation yet? For a Sept 25 delivery, you should not only have an allocation, but I'd also expect at least V210 - Freeze point reached. AKA, all options are locked in.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Final price negotiations for me were done when we wrote the sales order (written as x% off MSRP, so changing options kept the "deal" the same)

But wait, do you not even have an allocation yet? For a Sept 25 delivery, you should not only have an allocation, but I'd also expect at least V210 - Freeze point reached. AKA, all options are locked in.
Yeah, hence my mild panic. That may assist negotiation. I could have theoretically put more irons in the fire w/ other dealers, so if I miss this date and I stick w/ the guy who got my $2k deposit in April, he may appreciate my loyalty and patience and cut me some monetary slack.

I am optioning this base car to the hilt, which is where their profit truly escalates.

If I do miss the date, I may just put off purchase until March/April, and wait past the snowy winter to do Euro delivery. I could have a week for driving vs a constrained 3 days I currently have planned.

·
Registered
137 Posts
From my experience the actual production time is just a matter of weeks. But first, the dealer has to have a production slot allocated to them. It sounds like your dealer does not yet have an allocation, is that right? As I understand the process when ordering a Porsche, you're not so much "ordering" a car as you are specifying what options will be installed on one Porsche will have scheduled to build independent of your "order." Those build slots are what are allocated amongst the dealers.

Like phroenips, I negotiated the final price of the car before leaving a deposit. I think you'll want to do that before the dealer gets an allocation and is in a better bargaining position with you. There are plenty of posts about how much of a discount (or not) off MSRP you can expect to get depending on a variety of factors. I've seen anything from full MSRP for the most limited models, to 20% off (what I paid a motivated dealer for a new, "prior year's model" sitting on the lot.) I think most get a mid-single-digit discount when "ordering" a base or Cayman S. Some more, some less.

Good luck!

41 - 60 of 83 Posts