Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Planning to visit my sales guy tomorrow. I think I will just ask for my deposit back, since I will be in Europe in under 3 weeks. From all I hear on the internet, 718 base models will not be available until springtime. He would have contacted me, surely, if he had any news good or bad.

I guess I will have to hope for March? April? Maybe I could do some Europe again then. This is irritating.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Planning to visit my sales guy tomorrow. I think I will just ask for my deposit back, since I will be in Europe in under 3 weeks. From all I hear on the internet, 718 base models will not be available until springtime. He would have contacted me, surely, if he had any news good or bad.

I guess I will have to hope for March? April? Maybe I could do some Europe again then. This is irritating.

The lack of communication from your sales advisor to you seems troubling. From what i gather, the dealers are not very enthusiastic about European Delivery and that might have also something do with their customer service response. Very disappointing. Hoping for a better result for you on the next attempt!

·
Registered
73 Posts

Very sorry to hear that you are having this much trouble. Even though it only takes them a couple of weeks to build a car, the lack of information you've had from the dealer is quite disheartening, not to mention unprofessional in my opinion, especially this close to you travelling.

·
Registered
390 Posts
That does doesn't seem right! Sorry you got strung out like this. Cars get built in one day on the factory floor. The painful time is waiting for it to get to production and shipment. I hope you find resolution quickly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Update: visited sales bro today. He said yeah likely springtime, and that the forums generally hear about those things when the dealers do.

He could not even bring up a 718 selection other than the GT4 or Spyder on his internal system.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
No. If you want a 718 let the dealer hold the deposit. Otherwise, they'll forget you. Why don't you just go for a GT4 and smile every second driving it? :)
It's funny, I felt a teeny pang of craving for a GT4 when its NA6 came out, but as I never plan to track my 718, I realize per this forum that the low-end torque is just truly better for a not-quite daily driver. (weekends, dinner, nice weather drives).

Plus, I will heavily option this car w/ "luxuries", and I think the wing would be over the top in appearance. I am already going w/ super-white look: (white car, white wheels, white rear inlets & chrome window trim, silver exhaust tips). For white car, it is plenty attention-grabby.

It is not like I would be doing anything w/ that deposit money anyway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
@Graustark

I understand you’ve already paid a deposit, but I would start shopping around with other Porsche dealers to make a deal on your future 2020 base Cayman.

Paying a deposit on a lower cost Porsche (like a base model Boxster/Cayman) without even knowing what the MSRP discount will be (if any) is not the best course of action. If we were discussing a deposit to hold an allocation for a 911 Turbo S, GT2RS, or some other rare/high dollar Porsche, it would be different.

I suspect that when this dealer finally receives your allocation and tells you to come in and configure your final build, they are probably going to try to sell you the vehicle at full MSRP (0% discount). They probably think that you’ve been waiting so long for this allocation that you will just want to get the buying process over with asap.

I love the 718 (I custom ordered a 2019 base Boxster last year), but you should be getting an MSRP discount for a base model 718. When the 2020 allocations are released, pretty much every USA Porsche dealer will have multiple allocations for the base model.

You can search this forum to see the MSRP percent discount other members paid over the last few years. As a first time Porsche customer in September 2018, I was able to get 7% off MSRP for my custom base model Boxster order.

During the purchasing process, I had some Porsche dealers ask me to pay full MSRP, $500 discount, 2% discount, and 4% discount. You should compare prices with multiple dealers and not just take the first deal that is offered (unless it is reasonable).

From your posts, it appears that the sales person you have been dealing with has not been very forthcoming with information. They allowed you to get your hopes up about a European Delivery that they probably knew would not happen during the time frame that you wanted. My guess is that they didn’t want to risk losing your purchase/money by being transparent with you.

I would do my best to not reward someone with my money & business that is not honest and forthcoming with information about my purchase.

I’m sure you’re already slightly frustrated with the buying process but hang in there.

You could spend this extra time playing with the configurator and performing more researching on all the different options for your custom build.

When you finally get your 2020 Cayman, it will be well worth the wait!

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's funny, I felt a teeny pang of craving for a GT4 when its NA6 came out, but as I never plan to track my 718, I realize per this forum that the low-end torque is just truly better for a not-quite daily driver. (weekends, dinner, nice weather drives).

Plus, I will heavily option this car w/ "luxuries", and I think the wing would be over the top in appearance. I am already going w/ super-white look: (white car, white wheels, white rear inlets & chrome window trim, silver exhaust tips). For white car, it is plenty attention-grabby.

It is not like I would be doing anything w/ that deposit money anyway.
There's an all white 718 S in Palm Springs, CA right now. https://www.porschepalmsprings.com/new-Palm+Springs-2019-Porsche-718+Cayman-S-WP0AB2A82KS278551

·
Registered
28 Posts
I knew I didn’t want to wait for my perfect car and based on what I saw on this forum I knew it could be a long wait. I did a nationwide search for the car I was looking for. I’m retired and I figured I could go anywhere in the country to pick it up. I found what I was looking for in Cincinnati, Ohio. It wasn’t a perfect match but close enough. Honestly I now can’t remember what I wanted that it does not have. I do know it had all of the major items I was looking for. I picked up the car three weeks after I found it ( delay was because of my vacation ) and have nothing but praise for the car and the experience.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice options on that one.....and you could be enjoying it this weekend!!
Right?! It's a very unique build and they even already installed clear side markers on it too!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
@Graustark

I understand you’ve already paid a deposit, but I would start shopping around with other Porsche dealers to make a deal on your future 2020 base Cayman.

Paying a deposit on a lower cost Porsche (like a base model Boxster/Cayman) without even knowing what the MSRP discount will be (if any) is not the best course of action. If we were discussing a deposit to hold an allocation for a 911 Turbo S, GT2RS, or some other rare/high dollar Porsche, it would be different.

I suspect that when this dealer finally receives your allocation and tells you to come in and configure your final build, they are probably going to try to sell you the vehicle at full MSRP (0% discount). They probably think that you’ve been waiting so long for this allocation that you will just want to get the buying process over with asap.

I love the 718 (I custom ordered a 2019 base Boxster last year), but you should be getting an MSRP discount for a base model 718. When the 2020 allocations are released, pretty much every USA Porsche dealer will have multiple allocations for the base model.

You can search this forum to see the MSRP percent discount other members paid over the last few years. As a first time Porsche customer in September 2018, I was able to get 7% off MSRP for my custom base model Boxster order.

During the purchasing process, I had some Porsche dealers ask me to pay full MSRP, $500 discount, 2% discount, and 4% discount. You should compare prices with multiple dealers and not just take the first deal that is offered (unless it is reasonable).

From your posts, it appears that the sales person you have been dealing with has not been very forthcoming with information. They allowed you to get your hopes up about a European Delivery that they probably knew would not happen during the time frame that you wanted. My guess is that they didn’t want to risk losing your purchase/money by being transparent with you.

I would do my best to not reward someone with my money & business that is not honest and forthcoming with information about my purchase.

I’m sure you’re already slightly frustrated with the buying process but hang in there.

You could spend this extra time playing with the configurator and performing more researching on all the different options for your custom build.

When you finally get your 2020 Cayman, it will be well worth the wait!
Thanks for your lengthly input. (That's what she said.) And thanks to all others too. I told the SA that I was hoping for a discount. He asked amount. I said 6%, which basically undoes the car taxes. (A Redditor Porsche SA mentioned 3-5% is usually what you can best hope for.) The SA stated we'll have to cross that bridge when the allocation happens.

I felt that 6% is reasonable as:
  • They will have had my interest-free loan / deposit for a year
  • This is a very fat build, nearly $30k of options for a base 718
  • I will have stuck with them and not done those play-dealers-against-themselves games
  • I had a trip planned with tickets purchased so I have to go to Europe, again, to do Euro-delivery
  • If they just did their own build, they'd have to order what they think would sell. But there is no gamble here. No car depreciating in their inventory. One in the hand is two in the bush.
I am somewhat at their mercy, but I think those are strong arguments. I am hoping it plays out as: if you respect me, and I respect you, this can be a very easy sale and we will both win.

They are beholden to the whims of Porsche corporate, and I do not desire to punish them for that. But as you said, I also do not want to reward someone who has no qualms taking advantage of someone who is being patient and loyal. I would definitely go to another dealer if they end up acting like greedy vultures.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My daughter worked in the car industry ( sales to fi ). Believe me, there is no loyalty in car sales. When you put up a deposit, you want a concrete number. Otherwise, they're going to play you. If they don't mess with the new car price, they'll screw you on the trade. I would demand my deposit back and start over. They were not honest with you regarding being able to deliver your car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Well, got my deposit back. SA was very pleasant and quick about it.

Now I get to taunt myself with a factory tour in Stuttgart next week.
Anything I should buy at the museum gift shop?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, got my deposit back. SA was very pleasant and quick about it.

Now I get to taunt myself with a factory tour in Stuttgart next week.
Anything I should buy at the museum gift shop?
A model of the original 718? I’m sure it will be reasonably priced :sneaky:

61 - 80 of 83 Posts