Porsche 718 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, got my deposit back. SA was very pleasant and quick about it.

Now I get to taunt myself with a factory tour in Stuttgart next week.
Anything I should buy at the museum gift shop?
Glad you got your deposit back.

You could rent a 718 from Sixt car rental. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Planning to visit my sales guy tomorrow. I think I will just ask for my deposit back, since I will be in Europe in under 3 weeks. From all I hear on the internet, 718 base models will not be available until springtime. He would have contacted me, surely, if he had any news good or bad.

I guess I will have to hope for March? April? Maybe I could do some Europe again then. This is irritating.
I too am anxiously hoping to order a 2020 to my spec. I started a new thread about this, "US MY'20 Allocations and Configurator." I don't think a small deposit is unreasonable... I have a fully refundable $1,000 down to be on the waiting list for 2020 allocations. Doesn't seem right to me to negotiate a discount when the car cannot even be configured yet. I plan to offer a 6% discount and will shop that to other dealers if the local guy won't take it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I too am anxiously hoping to order a 2020 to my spec. I started a new thread about this, "US MY'20 Allocations and Configurator." I don't think a small deposit is unreasonable... I have a fully refundable $1,000 down to be on the waiting list for 2020 allocations. Doesn't seem right to me to negotiate a discount when the car cannot even be configured yet. I plan to offer a 6% discount and will shop that to other dealers if the local guy won't take it.
I negotiated a 7% discount on my 2019 CGTS order at a time when the dealer did not have an allocation. I see no reason why you can't negotiate the percent discount now.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
UPDATE:

Deposit re-paid! Lock date Jan 31st. New builds available as of April. I elected for Euro delivery in late June, destining build in May, further destining it as a 2020 vs a 2019. Stellar time for cruising the Autobahn of the Swiss Alps. Model year is 2020, ergo a couple minor pricing changes. Body color-matched wheels no longer an option though. Minor bummer.

And, I am upgrading my initial choice last year from the Base model to an S model.

That rationale is to have just a touch more torque down low, and reducing as much as possible any hint of a lag. Lower PSI on the turbo, little more bonkers power in the high RPMs per someone else's commentary on this forum. Lower turbo PSI assuages me that the S may be more accepting of tuning. And well, YOLO. Price different around $10k vs $13k due to some S inclusions that cost more on the Base. I also keep cars for 14 years, 10 years (last two), ICE are going away, manual shifting is going away. Catch it while you can. I will not be trading in this car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
UPDATE:

And, I am upgrading my initial choice last year from the Base model to an S model.
If you can afford the upgrade, better to get it than to spend the next 10 years wishing you had! Speaking from experience, it costs way more than 10K to trade up later!

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you can, I highly recommend PTV. I bought mine used and it doesn’t have it, but it’s the one option I would buy for certain.
Without an LSD, throttle oversteer is super easy to encounter. If you do any enthusiast street driving, get PTV.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Did you get a confirmation for European Delivery in late June?

Also, are there any differences in options from 2019?
Well, they will have my May allocation. Freeze date Jan 31. April is first month for new allocations BTW for 718 restarts of production. I won't get the VIN until a few months from now so no official Euro Delivery confirmation yet. I will update this thread as they update me!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
If you can, I highly recommend PTV. I bought mine used and it doesn’t have it, but it’s the one option I would buy for certain.
Without an LSD, throttle oversteer is super easy to encounter. If you do any enthusiast street driving, get PTV.
This makes me laugh because I have a billion options but not PTV. (shakes fist at you for upselling) Sales guy actually, of all items, suggested against PTV if I won't track. I might autocross but no track. Is PTV just going to kill my brake pads too soon w little benefit? I am open to being convinced to get it, so pls share any views, everyone, so I can decide by order freeze in 3 weeks. I can't toggle it on/off if I didn't like it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Hellacious build
Thanks! I have never been a buy then get bored in 2 years guy. By then I am just getting comfortable w/ the car. 14 years / 200k miles on the same Honda Civic, 10 years ago. 10 years on current GTI. I don't buy used but I do buy new and hold as long as possible.

And if that is the case, Porsche lets you customize like no one else in the biz. One of the Gucci family apparently said “Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.” Fat options list will sting, but I would rather not regret skimping on this build. For how long can we get a stick shift, ICE, new anyway? Time's running out.

Burmester was a tough pick, but I l listen to all kinds of music including classical and jazz. Hearing acoustic instruments, recorded well, on a quality system can really add what you didn't know you needed.

Carbon fiber decor is also a bit loony. But man, I saw some 911 or GT3RS with those inlays. Gorgeous. That might be my most absurd option pick.

Lastly, I kind of love having non-electric seating amongst all this frou-frou. Rode in a friend's 986 Boxster and 987 Cayman w/ manual seating. Never felt like I was missing anything!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Did you get a confirmation for European Delivery in late June?

Also, are there any differences in options from 2019?
Forgot to answer second part. Price went up for model year 2020 to $69,900, so up by $600. One other option, I forget which, went up by $70. Painted wheels no longer available. That sucked. Dealer said they almost never see it so surely a cost cutting measure. Said some blue matched wheels on a customer's car looked terrible! And some gray matched ones looked killer. I really like the Carrera Classic wheels as a close 2nd choice, so having to revert to that set is no biggie. First world problems to be sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
How much difference in price would a similarly specced GTS cost you? (not the 6 banger), or has the F4T disappeared on US configurator?

Bet you can't wait. I've just put deposit on CPO 2019 GTS, should be available end of this month :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Curious if you have had the chance to hear the Burm sound in the car? A few here have optioned it and seem to be happy. Other audiophiles say the small cabin and acoustic challenges make spending that kind of money sort of mute. Just curious.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks! I have never been a buy then get bored in 2 years guy. By then I am just getting comfortable w/ the car. 14 years / 200k miles on the same Honda Civic, 10 years ago. 10 years on current GTI. I don't buy used but I do buy new and hold as long as possible....
...Lastly, I kind of love having non-electric seating amongst all this frou-frou. Rode in a friend's 986 Boxster and 987 Cayman w/ manual seating. Never felt like I was missing anything!
I get it. I had an Acura Legend Coupe (First model year, 1988) for 19 years.
I have the non-electric seats and I have never thought twice about having all the electric adjustments. Set it and forget it.
I bought my Cayman "off the rack" and there are times I start to think "What am I missing?". That maybe I should have been patient and ordered the exact spec. But then I hit the road and all those thoughts fade away. But like I said, you've chosen great options. You're gonna be highly satisfied, I'm sure.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks! I have never been a buy then get bored in 2 years guy. By then I am just getting comfortable w/ the car. 14 years / 200k miles on the same Honda Civic, 10 years ago. 10 years on current GTI. I don't buy used but I do buy new and hold as long as possible.

And if that is the case, Porsche lets you customize like no one else in the biz. One of the Gucci family apparently said “Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.” Fat options list will sting, but I would rather not regret skimping on this build. For how long can we get a stick shift, ICE, new anyway? Time's running out.

Burmester was a tough pick, but I l listen to all kinds of music including classical and jazz. Hearing acoustic instruments, recorded well, on a quality system can really add what you didn't know you needed.

Carbon fiber decor is also a bit loony. But man, I saw some 911 or GT3RS with those inlays. Gorgeous. That might be my most absurd option pick.

Lastly, I kind of love having non-electric seating amongst all this frou-frou. Rode in a friend's 986 Boxster and 987 Cayman w/ manual seating. Never felt like I was missing anything!
TV

Graustark,
Re: Burmester
It is not as effective in the 718 as to justify the price difference. However, I am absolutely glad I got it. With well recorded music the treble high end is awesome and it can produce enough bass to make a really solidly built car start to rattle. Even with XM/Sirius it is significantly better than Bose. I plan on keeping my car 6+ years and if you love a good stereo you will always reget "what if" if that option is not selected.

Dan

81 - 100 of 138 Posts