Porsche 718 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I want to re-state that with this GTS 4.0 addition AND the dumb particulate filter that is damaging the speed of the base and S models, I am considering cancelling my order. This is so disappointing. I was unable to place my 2019 order, and now I get to pay for a slower car in the few months before the GTS 4.0 becomes an option.

Wait on a 718, delayed, new 718 available that is slower, while I get to see the flat-6 show up.

Part of this point for me was to get a car I would be happy with for a decade or more. Why custom build something if I'm just going to be disappointed? Why bother?
Have you searched for a CPO that meets your specs? Even if it misses a couple of lower priority ones?

According to the other forums CPO 718s are a dime a dozen... :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow where the **** have I been? I read your post here about this “filter” slowing down these cars and am blown away by the new 0-60 times posted on the official website. I know they always are conservative but 5.6s for a manual 718 base?? What happened? Just this filter? Added weight? Detuned to make room for 4.0? Wasn’t it closer to 5.0s before, even their official number?
If the cars actually did get a half second slower across the board I’d be a little less willing to throw my stack of cash at Porsche too... any chance these numbers are just crap or have any reviewers truly verified the 2020s are slower? Ouch. My dealer still has a ton of 718s left I’m sure they’re willing to make deals on. Their site has them listed at MSRP but they gave me 15% with me just simply asking their best deal.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Wow where the **** have I been? I read your post here about this “filter” slowing down these cars and am blown away by the new 0-60 times posted on the official website. I know they always are conservative but 5.6s for a manual 718 base?? What happened? Just this filter? Added weight? Detuned to make room for 4.0? Wasn’t it closer to 5.0s before, even their official number?
If the cars actually did get a half second slower across the board I’d be a little less willing to throw my stack of cash at Porsche too... any chance these numbers are just crap or have any reviewers truly verified the 2020s are slower? Ouch. My dealer still has a ton of 718s left I’m sure they’re willing to make deals on. Their site has them listed at MSRP but they gave me 15% with me just simply asking their best deal.
718 Base 2017-2018 0-62 mph (0-100 kmh) is 5.1 sec.

Screenshot from the official Porsche online manual for 2017-2018 718s

Maybe the dealers will start charging ADM for the 2018 'fast' models :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
827 Posts
I want to re-state that with this GTS 4.0 addition AND the dumb particulate filter that is damaging the speed of the base and S models, I am considering cancelling my order. This is so disappointing. I was unable to place my 2019 order, and now I get to pay for a slower car in the few months before the GTS 4.0 becomes an option.

Wait on a 718, delayed, new 718 available that is slower, while I get to see the flat-6 show up.

Part of this point for me was to get a car I would be happy with for a decade or more. Why custom build something if I'm just going to be disappointed? Why bother?
Why don't you grab one from all the 718 owners that will be giving them away for the 4.0? I mean they should be almost free with a good selection to boot :ROFLMAO: Seriously though, I know the experience won't be the same, but I can say from experience, buying a pre-owned wasn't all that bad and I got the car I pretty much wanted and at a steep savings. Then you can spend the saved cash on a Porsche Experience and some goodies for the car. Oh and still get a Euro trip on the same dime. Then just rent one when you're there :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
718 Base 2017-2018 0-62 mph (0-100 kmh) is 5.1 sec.
wow. I really wonder if this is true or just some dumb marketing/positioning thing. Because if these existing engines got .5 slower 0-60 the extra 30 HP and Weight from a 4.0 likely won’t surpass the 2017s, 18s and 19 GTS...

sorry to thread jack, I’m just further commiserating with OP and his consideration to pulling the plug on this whole operation until we can at least get some actual clarity in regards to what is going on.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I think it might be the effect of the GPF (particulate filter) or its dummy replacement for the US. Speculation at this stage.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think it might be the effect of the GPF (particulate filter) or its dummy replacement for the US. Speculation at this stage.
I think that is exactly the issue.

There is also some info out there that states that the GPFs for the N.Amer. are exactly the same media as the Euro with the exception of the precious metal coating.
If that's the case, the N.Amer. cars will suffer the same performance losses.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I have a feeling that a lot more is involved than the specification of the muffler stated in the write-up. The back pressure created by the GPF may have affected the design/tuning of the engine and Porsche probably didn't want to bifurcate the design/tuning to European/North American. But who am I to know?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Excuse my ignorence but, is it not possible to alleviate the probleme by changing the exhaust system ?

More sound and a tiny little bit of performence gained.

?

·
Premium Member
455 Posts

My 718 was one of the first delivered with the new GPF, delivery was a bit delayed compared to what the dealer would have liked (but it was just on schedule by my book) and the dealers excuse for the delay was that the engineers needed to make sure it had the same performance as the non-GPF cars before they started production again (production was halted during the transition from NEDC to WLTP which was when they added GPF to the 718).
If that excuse was remotely true I see only two possibilities for the new and "improved" acceleration figures.
Either it is marketing BS to let the GT4 be faster on paper.
Or alternatively Porsche have decided to use a different human factor when calculating acceleration (as I understand only manual transmission models have become slower, which makes sense as human factor only influences acceleration with a manual not a PDK).

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are a lot of troubling signs with these stated performance changes that can’t be brushed aside, explained away or ignored:

1. Performance numbers used to be proudly displayed immediately under the model photo. This is still the case for 911s. 718s now only show HP.
2. To find the 0-60mph number, you have to scroll down and find it buried in ‘all specs’. For the manual anyway, because...
3. PDK numbers are completely absent!
4. Price went up.

WTF?

Engine specs. are the same. If Porsche has traditionally understated engine specs. , they can still use the same numbers with a straight face. Except now the numbers are less understated or actually realistic.

I’m also considering canceling my order. The total lack of transparency here is very concerning.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I’m also considering canceling my order. The total lack of transparency here is very concerning.
I love driving my CGTS, but I don’t blame you. I would be rethinking things as well if I were considering a T4 718. When I bought my car last year, I was literally told, “Welcome to the family!”. Now it feels like I’m being kicked to the curb.

With that being said, I forget all of this when I’m behind the wheel, turbo spun, back forced into my seat, and a smile on my face. But only you can make the decision whether it’s a right purchase for your wants/desires :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just checked Porsche's website again and the all specs. are back. The same as they were before as far as I can tell. :unsure:

I guess all is well and nothing changed? Go figure.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
I just checked Porsche's website again and the all specs. are back. The same as they were before as far as I can tell. :unsure:

I guess all is well and nothing changed? Go figure.
So bizarre. If you look at the USA site, for the 0-60, it says 4.9 for base, 4.4 for S, same numbers when listed "with Sport Chrono package" And they no longer break out PDK compared to manual.

On the UK site though, the 0-62 (I know it's slightly diff), it shows 5.3 for base, and 4.9 for S, then 4.7 for base and 4.2 for S, "with Sport Chrono package".

So maybe the UK ones have the GPF, and not the USA ones? Also, how is it that Euro Sport Chrono makes it faster, but not in the USA?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I know this has been flogged many times like a dead horse, but yesterday I watched the season 1 episode one of Everyday Driver and the prior seasons episode with all three variants of the Cayman (987,981 and 982) and in both episodes they reference historical 718 as the rationale for the change to an F4T. It's referenced in almost all reviews of the F4T 718. Porsche should have seen the criticism that would arise and have addressed it in some way. Actually they should have just designated the F6 differently and not as a GTS since they already had customers who paid them near $100k for the F4T variant. They would have less 718 owners upset by the slight whether it be real or perceived.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
1 Year Later Update.

Well, I certainly did not expect this global quarantine situation! Needless to say, I cancelled my order before April 1st 2020 freeze date. It was planned for Euro Delivery EOM June. Plants were shutdown on March 21. My build would have been the first week of May.

Irrespective of that, and even if things improved at a suddenly fast rate, etc, etc, I cannot imagine things being normal enough in early July to actually enjoy travel through Switzerland. So, I put some of my fun-mobile cash into the stock market dip.

Sooo... looks like the revised goal is an April 2021 allocation for May-June Euro Delivery.

The alternative would be a fall build and get the car in, say, November? But dang it now my heart is set on the Swiss Alps. A dream, once in a lifetime kind of deal. It's worth a 6 month longer wait.

Reactions: Third
121 - 140 of 157 Posts