Porsche 718 Forum banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I haven't been to the Swiss Alps--but the mountain roads in northern Italy were worth a drive any time. ?
Northern Italian mountains, Swiss Alps... who's nitpicking? The best I have is Texas Hill Country, which, granted is not bad. But it ain't the same. I am dying for switchbacks and topography.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sooo... looks like the revised goal is an April 2021 allocation for May-June Euro Delivery.

The alternative would be a fall build and get the car in, say, November? But dang it now my heart is set on the Swiss Alps. A dream, once in a lifetime kind of deal. It's worth a 6 month longer wait.
It will be interesting to see if your 718 enthusiasm holds once this Wuhan virus is lifted. You have a lot more patience than me!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Northern Italian mountains, Swiss Alps... who's nitpicking? The best I have is Texas Hill Country, which, granted is not bad. But it ain't the same. I am dying for switchbacks and topography.
Sign me up for anywhere in the Alps or Pyrenees...or both!

The Texas Hill Country topography is beautiful in its own way. However, we have few serious switchbacks, tight low speed curves, and getting clocked by John Law at hypersonic speeds is far to easy. Regardless, that has not and will not stop my "enjoyment" :devilish: of what we have and the continuous search for more.

Reactions: Graustark

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sooo... looks like the revised goal is an April 2021 allocation for May-June Euro Delivery.

The alternative would be a fall build and get the car in, say, November? But dang it now my heart is set on the Swiss Alps. A dream, once in a lifetime kind of deal. It's worth a 6 month longer wait.
That would be an epic adventure! Curious how the car gets back home after the journey? Are you on your own to set that up or does Porsche help with that?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
It will be interesting to see if your 718 enthusiasm holds once this Wuhan virus is lifted. You have a lot more patience than me!
I have been jonesing for a Boxster / Cayman since I rode in my buddy's 996 Boxster S and 997 Cayman S, so around a decade. Shopped in earnest for a 718 about 18 months ago. Enthusiasm has not abated. :D

That would be an epic adventure! Curious how the car gets back home after the journey? Are you on your own to set that up or does Porsche help with that?
When you configure, there is a check box for "European Delivery" and you can select pickup in either Stuttgart / Zuffenhausen or Leipzig. When you're at the dealer they check a box, just as if it were an option. Takes about 4-6 weeks to ship over the Atlantic. When you are done Euro joy-riding, you drop it back off where you got it (or any major city with a hundred or so dollars fee to return).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been jonesing for a Boxster / Cayman since I rode in my buddy's 996 Boxster S and 997 Cayman S, so around a decade. Shopped in earnest for a 718 about 18 months ago. Enthusiasm has not abated. :D

When you configure, there is a check box for "European Delivery" and you can select pickup in either Stuttgart / Zuffenhausen or Leipzig. When you're at the dealer they check a box, just as if it were an option. Takes about 4-6 weeks to ship over the Atlantic. When you are done Euro joy-riding, you drop it back off where you got it (or any major city with a hundred or so dollars fee to return).
Thanks...pondered doing the delivery in Atlanta PEC but the European Delivery sounds like an incredible experience, always an option if not too inconvenient which it sounds like it isn't.

Of course, the world has to get back on course so they can start pumping out GTS 4.0's for any of it to really matter. As mentioned, hello Spring 2021 (hopefully). Strange times indeed, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Thanks...pondered doing the delivery in Atlanta PEC but the European Delivery sounds like an incredible experience, always an option if not too inconvenient which it sounds like it isn't.

Of course, the world has to get back on course so they can start pumping out GTS 4.0's for any of it to really matter. As mentioned, hello Spring 2021 (hopefully). Strange times indeed, thanks for the info.
Happy to help you part with your money! When you do a pickup, they have a guy there that tells you any and everything you can ask about that specific model. You also get a free night in a fancy hotel and a free dinner in their Christophorus steakhouse restaurant. Do it!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes! ****, it took me decades to buy a Lotus so your decade of waiting is not out of the ordinary. I should have bought my Lotus in 2012 when I bought my Audi S5. I was sitting in my days old Audi in a parking lot and a heard the rumble of a car starting. I looked over and saw a red Lotus V8 Esprit in motion. I was stunned at my reaction. It felt exactly, and I mean exactly, like seeing an old girlfirend that I still desperately longed for. I sat in silence for a good five minutes, and admonished myself for not buying a Lotus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One trick I learned with the 14 and 18 way seats is to sit in the seat, lower the seat, fasten the seat belt and raise the seat, belt will hold you in the seat tighter .

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
UPDATE:

Wanted to Euro Deliver the base model last fall. No base models being built due to Taycan production. Changed to S model this spring. But chose to cancel due to COVID! No Euro Delivery foreseeable potential.

Now: screw Euro Delivery. I want the GTS 4.0. Told my rep I am game for it ASAP. No allocations available though at the moment.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
One more update! Deposit re-paid and I'm now in line for a GTS 4.0 allocation. 2 lucky SOBs ahead of me. :p

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Is it a sign? Will my sales rep call me and say my allocation has arrived? :p Or will I just have a spicy GTS fast food chicken sandwich?

·
Registered
19 CGTS and 15 Macan S
59 Posts
If you are auto crossing, I’d look into PTV more as it’ll help the car rotate even better.

Entry and drive is great convenience especially since you don’t have to put the key in the ignition any more.

Reactions: Graustark

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
If you are auto crossing, I’d look into PTV more as it’ll help the car rotate even better.

Entry and drive is great convenience especially since you don’t have to put the key in the ignition any more.
Scroll back up to post #151 - update on how I changed my order to a GTS 4.0! And of course that has PTV included. Even before I decided to switch from S to GTS 4.0, I figured I would just go ahead and add PTV because I wanted sharper cornering, shorter brake pad life be d-mned!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #157

Oh and I prefer the key insertion to a "dummy" knob. The latter may as well be push-button start, IMO, which I feel takes away from the "mechanical" experience. I don't want a driving appliance. I want to turn keys, shift gears, depress a clutch, and hear a machine powered by petroleum explosions whirring behind me!

While I am ranting: I love Apple CarPlay, but beyond that, I love that everything in the cabin has a physical button. I can not stand the overuse of touchscreens which give zero tactile feedback, an absurd prospect when you are moving fast in a sports car and need to focus on the road.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts