Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, just wondering if anyone thinks there will be a lot of consumer interest in the Boxster and Cayman T models? Will there be a huge price spread between this model and the GTS? I wonder how many people will actually choose the turbo setup over the flat 6.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I'm the last person anyone should ask for prognostications on what consumers will like, but I can offer my own opinion.

Had it been out two years ago I might have considered it. When I first saw the specs I thought it odd that Porsche chose the 2.0L engine for a lightened model with performance options. But it has its advantages over the 2.5L without giving away anything for non-track use. With the larger tank, the T becomes a serious "T for touring" car for long trips yet still offers enhanced performance. It's an own-just-one/do-it-all car. Back in the old days I would zip around in my mid-priced sports car with a feeling of superiority but also think nothing of filling it up and driving off to visit friends 200 miles away. Nowadays the performance is better, the distances longer, but the goal is the same. The T fits that role.

The only question about the T is whether I would have selected all those options individually. The T's supposed advantage is that you get all that stuff for a lower price. If you don't want a particular feature, then maybe the price is nothing special. Since I intend to keep my Cayman for many years the question is moot for now.

Reactions: JazzCatGab

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,556 Posts
Not helpful, but like Jim, the question for me is moot. Not sure who will go first, me or my base Cayman. Well, getting in and out of the car may be the deciding factor, but then, I might get the dang thing bronzed!

Reactions: jimmuller

·
Registered
2 Posts
If I was in the market right now... I would be all over the T. The T has all the important options; the wheels, sport steering wheel, exhaust tips, suspension, and driver electronics. I currently have the Base model and it rips. (I'm not sure you could really drive much faster on the back roads) I know the 718 gets lots of hate because of the sound; Totally annoying. The flat 6 sounds great, but I like the character of the T4 for backroad driving (I'm not sure I want to be driving around at redline all afternoon). Maybe if the 981 sounded like a Ducati with Teramagoni exhaust I would buy into the sound argument.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If I was in the market right now... I would be all over the T. The T has all the important options; the wheels, sport steering wheel, exhaust tips, suspension, and driver electronics.
I went to Porsche Configurator and I can tell that a Base with the T options is considerable more expensive.
If I would be in the market for new model, I would go for sure for the T as it is my kind of setup.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Some of the options you can't even add to a base or any other trim for that matter. I was definitely interested in a T when it was originally announced but when I inquired with PCNA, they said no plans for the US. They literally told me that via email. So I got a CPO S with nearly the same options. And then PCNA said yes, there will be a T for the US after all. Oh well. T trims have a pretty strong following on the secondary market and I don't think this one will be all too different despite the hate on the 4 cylinder. I think the T may be the one that fares the best as it is a true driver's car. The same folks who aren't embarrassed to tear it up with Miatas and MINIs will probably find the Cayman T pretty attractive and probably don't care about the sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After researching for what seems like years (it's only been a few months!), I've decided that the only car I'm going to purchase will be a Cayman T. I recently took an extended test drive in a 718 Cayman S and while the car was fantastic, I was going well over the speed limit in just 2nd gear. The base engine is the sweet spot for me. Yes, the base is still fully capable of exceeding what is needed on the street, but at least I'll be able to enjoy more of that "slower but more fun" feeling that a Miata exhibits. Obviously it's not apples to apples, but you get the gist. It's hard enough finding a base car with even just the basic of options, so the T is the only way to go. It ticks every single box that I want and I don't want to settle on a car, especially my first and most likely only Porsche. I know Porsche will likely be one of the longest holdouts in the manual/gasoline powered sports cars, but I think full electrification is closer than we think. I'm just salivating thinking about taking the Cayman T on track!

I say go for the T! If I can't find a decent used one in the next year or two (or before the end of the 718 production run), I'll bite the bullet and order one.

·
Registered
888 Posts
After researching for what seems like years (it's only been a few months!), I've decided that the only car I'm going to purchase will be a Cayman T. I recently took an extended test drive in a 718 Cayman S and while the car was fantastic, I was going well over the speed limit in just 2nd gear. The base engine is the sweet spot for me. Yes, the base is still fully capable of exceeding what is needed on the street, but at least I'll be able to enjoy more of that "slower but more fun" feeling that a Miata exhibits. Obviously it's not apples to apples, but you get the gist. It's hard enough finding a base car with even just the basic of options, so the T is the only way to go. It ticks every single box that I want and I don't want to settle on a car, especially my first and most likely only Porsche. I know Porsche will likely be one of the longest holdouts in the manual/gasoline powered sports cars, but I think full electrification is closer than we think. I'm just salivating thinking about taking the Cayman T on track!

I say go for the T! If I can't find a decent used one in the next year or two (or before the end of the 718 production run), I'll bite the bullet and order one.
The T is definitely compelling and adds all of the good bits the base 718 doesnt normally get. But to your comment on exceeding the speed limit in second gear - this will be the same for the T as well. You will be north of 70mph at red line in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The T is definitely compelling and adds all of the good bits the base 718 doesnt normally get. But to your comment on exceeding the speed limit in second gear - this will be the same for the T as well. You will be north of 70mph at red line in 2nd gear.
For sure and I meant to note that in my post about the T as well, but I'd be able to go through gears 1 to 4 more often than I would with the 2.5. I hardly if ever redline my cars, so that is why I don't feel the need to get the GTS 4.0. I know the boost comes in on the base above 3k rpm, but I could still get some lovely shifts with that amazing shifter before hitting 70mph.

I should have qualified that for my particular driving style, the base engine in the T is PERFECT for me.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
For sure and I meant to note that in my post about the T as well, but I'd be able to go through gears 1 to 4 more often than I would with the 2.5...
I test drove both a Base and an S. Not a difference in power that I could discern on the street. I bought the S because it was a CPO and less expensive than the brand new Base :eek: I don't think that I would change gears in different points in a Base...

... I know the boost comes in on the base above 3k rpm, ....

I should have qualified that for my particular driving style, the base engine in the T is PERFECT for me.

The boost is on at 2000-2100 RPM. This is the beauty of the F4T:cool:

Perfect to a T... :p :love: I'd say...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I test drove both a Base and an S. Not a difference in power that I could discern on the street. I bought the S because it was a CPO and less expensive than the brand new Base :eek: I don't think that I would change gears in different points in a Base...

View attachment 28305

The boost is on at 2000-2100 RPM. This is the beauty of the F4T:cool:

Perfect to a T... :p :love: I'd say...
Ok ok fine fine . . . I drive like a granny and the S would be a waste on me . . . there, are you happy now?!?!?!?!?!?!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
He! Lots of fun in this thread.

I absolutely luuuuuv my 2.0 base engine. Would I want the extra power of the S? Probably, but I sure as heck don't need it, don't get to use the power I have very often anyway.

One thing I do appreciate is the higher gas mileage. I know, that's not why we buy sports cars, but it is important when "touring" in one. By the EPA figures, the range of the base engine with the smaller tank is not much less than the range of the S with the larger tank. That figure alone tells you why Porsche makes both tanks.The difference in price of the base and S covers the cost of the gas for more than half the life of the car, maybe even all of it!

At cruising speeds the mileage is much greater, of course. But the T with the smaller engine and larger tank is a real long-distance winner.

·
Registered
431 Posts
For $3000 extra a stripped S can be had. Given the options I'd want, I'd pick the S over the T. I'm never going to track. It's all about the tarmac for me. I doubt I'd ever reach 10/10 of any Cayman's handling capabilities. I will, however, use the Launch Control for fun on occasion. Why wouldn't I want the extra power? :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
That figure alone tells you why Porsche makes both tanks.
Why doesn't Porsche put the larger tank in all models? Why did I have to pay for the larger tank as an option? The cost to Porsche for the larger tank is probably less than $25.00 but they charge hundreds for the option. No wonder they are a very profitable enterprise.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Why doesn't Porsche put the larger tank in all models?
I don't know all of their logic. A likely marketing logic train might be to define a target cruising range, possibly with some engineering input. There are advantages with a smaller tank. It is cheaper and lighter when empty. The bigger tank might entail slight differences in the components surrounding it which are harder to assemble or to make. A bigger tank also means more weight if you actually fill it, and more empty air space to allow moisture to condense when it isn't full. So marketing/engineering could easily justify a smaller tank as better satisfying certain kinds of criteria.

Or maybe they just wanted to charge you more money.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My SA, who was obviously blowing smoke, proclaimed the larger tank was preferred by track folks. Seems counter intuitive to me since weight in a tracked car may be of primary concern. I got the smaller tank since I have to stop to pee long before the needle approaches empty on a road trip.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,556 Posts
I have no problems with the smaller tank as mine is not a DD or for long trips. In fact, because it is a toy and my ramblings are somewhat sporatic, the smaller tank ensures that I renew the fuel at reasonable intervals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.