Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my story...I ordered a 2017 base Cayman back in February of 2017, picked it up in July of 17. Around October, about 3 months/4200 miles in (daily driver), I noticed a loud squeaking noise coming from the driver's seat on the left (door) side. I took it into a local dealership here, Porsche of Downtown Los Angeles, drove it with a tech, he heard the noise, and they kept the car to see what it was. I picked it up about 4 days later on what would turn out to be the worst day of my life, Game 7 of the World Series (Dodgers fan) and the squeaking was gone. I was in a rush to get the car, but the service record says they had re-secured the seat, and lubricated the motor that moves the backrest part of the seat up and down. I had the car for about a month and a half, before the squeaking came back. Waited a few weeks and then took it in to the Beverly Hills dealership in mid-January, they didn't drive it for a few days, and then of course, weren't able to duplicate the noise. They gave me back the car, and within a few days, the noise had returned.

This noise happens at all times, during normal driving, different weather, indiscriminately. The worst time is coming to a stop and then starting up again, i.e., at stoplights. It's usually less severe on the freeway, but it can happen there too, over bumps, on good roads and regular street commuter driving...constantly. I've moved the seat into different positions, and it's made the noise in all of them, eventually. The only thing I could think of is that it's at the lowest possible setting, but I want it to be there as I'm tall and I like as much room for my legs under the steering wheel as possible. I ordered the GT Sport steering wheel and manual seats for this purpose. For video of the noise, check the youtube link below. This is one of maybe 20 videos I have of the sound, and I could take dozens more every day.

Anyway, I took it BACK into Porsche of Downtown LA a few weeks later in early February. My girlfriend was with me, and one of their techs drove the car around without me, came back and said he heard the noise and thought it was an upholstery issue, that there was too much leather on the seat or that the stitching was bad and they'd have an upholstery guy come and take a look at it. 3-4 days later they said the car's ready. I asked if the upholsterer had been out, and they said the techs had been working out. Turns out they tried to re-secure it again, without really doing anything differently etc. etc. So within 15 minutes of having the car back, the noise returned. I then escalated it to Porsche of North America, who basically said their only function is as customer service, and all repairs have to be authorized through a dealership. They did reach out to Downtown LA, who agreed to come pick the car up from me this time. After a day or two, the service manager called me and said they couldn't duplicate the noise, then said it might be my fault because of the seat back rubbing against the carpet (i don't have the seat all the way back anyway), then said they only heard the noise with me in the car, which wasn't true and is in writing on the dealership service records. Finally I sent her 7 videos of the noise and she said they would order new seat rails to click the seat back into.

This worked for about a wee before the noise came back, as bad or worse than before. I got back in touch with PCNA who said I have no choice but to request more help from the dealer or go to a different dealership.
I emailed the service manager and asked for an entirely new seat, and contacted a lemon law lawyer here in California. Since it's been in 4, soon to be 5 times, to the dealership, it can potentially qualify for the lemon law procedures. The service manager at Downtown LA said her technical rep with Porsche wants me to duplicate the noise with the foreman of the service department. SO I have an appointment to go BACK in on this Saturday. I don't really want to leave the car with them again when nothing has worked, and it seems like it's a lot cheaper for them to just authorize a new seat than potentially having to pay for me to give a car back to them that they can no longer sell. But who knows what they'll tell me, I'm sure they'll want to just re-secure the seat again, which won't work.

When I spoke to PCNA customer service, I told them how incredibly frustrating this has been, after dealing with this for months and having it still not be fixed. I ordered the car, waited 5 months, and of the 7.5 months I've had the car, 5 of them have been spent dealing with this problem. Not to mention that I paid extra for seats that don't work, the 2-way Sport Plus seats are $440 when ordered with the Leather and Sport-Tex package which is an extra $2500.

It's incredibly frustrating to drive, every single time I get in the car. I honestly don't know if I even want a new seat at this point, or an entirely new car. Who knows.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hello @ianmSC!! I have virtually the same squeaky seat noise as you. I have had my 2017 base Boxster for a nearly a year and have 5200 miles on the clock. The seat noise started last fall. I haven't driven the car much since November so I have waited to have the dealer look at the problem. I have an appointment on the 27th for an oil change and state inspection. I am also having them look/listen to the seat noise. I will keep you posted as to what I find out.

·
Super Moderator
1,445 Posts
The only time my seat squeaks is when the comfort entry is active--and it's a quiet squeak as the seat moves. Yours sounds like a "stiction" issue or possibly some wiring rubbing/moving.

Can you make it squeak by moving in the seat, or is it only when the car is in motion?

If the seat touches the door then try slipping a sheet of paper into the contact area and see if that does anything.

If it is a squeak from rubbing and you can find the rubbing bits then a VERY thin smear of Krytox on the surfaces will almost certainly provide silence. I had a window on a previous car that used to squeak at my favourite opening level that no-one could fix. The Krytox worked a treat and the noise stayed away for 5 years--then I sold the car.

I HATE SQUEAKS!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only time my seat squeaks is when the comfort entry is active--and it's a quiet squeak as the seat moves. Yours sounds like a "stiction" issue or possibly some wiring rubbing/moving.

Can you make it squeak by moving in the seat, or is it only when the car is in motion?

If the seat touches the door then try slipping a sheet of paper into the contact area and see if that does anything.

If it is a squeak from rubbing and you can find the rubbing bits then a VERY thin smear of Krytox on the surfaces will almost certainly provide silence. I had a window on a previous car that used to squeak at my favourite opening level that no-one could fix. The Krytox worked a treat and the noise stayed away for 5 years--then I sold the car.

I HATE SQUEAKS!
That's very odd...I don't have comfort entry, so it can't be that. I can make it squeak by moving the seat, but it's not as consistent as when it's in motion. It really just depends, some days it's worse than others. The seat doesn't touch the door, it's pretty far away. I've looked and looked for where the squeak is coming from but I can't seem to find it. I'll keep that in mind for if do find it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello @ianmSC!! I have virtually the same squeaky seat noise as you. I have had my 2017 base Boxster for a nearly a year and have 5200 miles on the clock. The seat noise started last fall. I haven't driven the car much since November so I have waited to have the dealer look at the problem. I have an appointment on the 27th for an oil change and state inspection. I am also having them look/listen to the seat noise. I will keep you posted as to what I find out.
Yeah definitely, let me know. It's infuriating because, at least in my car, it's audible over music, podcasts, phone calls...engine noise. People can hear it from the passenger seat. Good to know it's not just me, I guess.

Also, which seat configuration do you have?

·
Registered
388 Posts
C'mon, let's be honest here. You and Chilli get together and eat a couple bags of Doritos every night before bed? You think maybe the seat is bursting at the seams, trying to hold up the 440lbs you forgot to mention in your original post??? I'm kidding of course... My buddy has a 718C, and he's been complaining of noises, squeaks, and rattles from the interior. I've read this before, not necessarily from the seat, but from other parts of the cabin. It seems to plague some cars, and others seem to be quite as they should be. I'm not sure, but I hope I don't have the same problem because that would cause me anxiety. It's always a bad feeling when you keep having to go back in for a repair, yet their solution doesn't seem to fix the actual problem. At this point, they should just be offering to get you a new seat, along with all new rails and attachments.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a 2018 718C which I daily drive. I have the 14 way power seats with the standard leather. I am not tall (5'9"), and I do use the comfort entry/exit. I, too, have the seat squeak. It just started about a week ago. For me, it is lateral movements, and I can easily replicate it by shimmying side-to-side while seated. I haven't had time to address it yet. I assumed that a well-placed shot of WD40 would take care of it, but now I am not so sure.

I bought my car at Porsche of DTLA. They were wonderful in the sales department. The one time I used their service, I was unimpressed. While shopping for my car I visited The Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills, which is walking distance from where I live. Their sales people were obnoxious. However, when I have used their service department, they have been excellent. Try taking your car there and see if they can help.

Also, please continue to post about this, especially if you find a solution.

Oh, while I am not a lemon law lawyer (trademarks and copyrights, instead), I do have some experience as I was forced to lemon a car a number of years back. Fit and finish issues do not qualify (at least they didn't as recently as 15 years ago, when I last had occasion to look at the law). Rather, the problem has to render the car unreliable or unsafe to drive. I was able to lemon my G37 Coupe after the third transmission in 5 months. I had contemplated lemoning my Audi A4 5 years prior to that for its atrocious fit and finish (if it could buzz, rattle, squeak or fall off, it did), but I was denied, so I just unloaded it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 2018 718C which I daily drive. I have the 14 way power seats with the standard leather. I am not tall (5'9"), and I do use the comfort entry/exit. I, too, have the seat squeak. It just started about a week ago. For me, it is lateral movements, and I can easily replicate it by shimmying side-to-side while seated. I haven't had time to address it yet. I assumed that a well-placed shot of WD40 would take care of it, but now I am not so sure.

I bought my car at Porsche of DTLA. They were wonderful in the sales department. The one time I used their service, I was unimpressed. While shopping for my car I visited The Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills, which is walking distance from where I live. Their sales people were obnoxious. However, when I have used their service department, they have been excellent. Try taking your car there and see if they can help.

Also, please continue to post about this, especially if you find a solution.

Oh, while I am not a lemon law lawyer (trademarks and copyrights, instead), I do have some experience as I was forced to lemon a car a number of years back. Fit and finish issues do not qualify (at least they didn't as recently as 15 years ago, when I last had occasion to look at the law). Rather, the problem has to render the car unreliable or unsafe to drive. I was able to lemon my G37 Coupe after the third transmission in 5 months. I had contemplated lemoning my Audi A4 5 years prior to that for its atrocious fit and finish (if it could buzz, rattle, squeak or fall off, it did), but I was denied, so I just unloaded it.
Well that's good to know, I kinda assumed it was happening because I had manual seats...I've had two 718C loaners that haven't had any problems, but both were the 14 way power standard seats. I'm roughly 6'3 and about 215, and I thought maybe it was something I'm doing, but I've driven 5-6 different Caymans (test drives, Porsche Experience Center, loaners) and never heard this noise. Also driven Panameras, Macans, and a couple Cayenne's and never heard it. To be fair, I've never heard this noise in any car, full stop. One part of this I forgot to add is that we contacted the SA at the dealership I bought the car from, Hoehn Porsche in Carlsbad, and she said lemon law could apply if we said we were concerned about the seat slipping out of place, that could be a potential safety issue.

I haven't been to The Auto Gallery, my biggest issue is that I work in Westwood and live in Toluca Lake, and my job basically requires me to be at the office from roughly 9-6:30/7 so I went to DTLA because they had Saturday service appointments. PCNA did say I could go to another dealership, so if they don't authorize a new seat I'll have to find a way to get to Woodland Hills.

Will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny, looks like The Auto Gallery has Saturday appointments too. I'll have to go there next.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I, too, work in Westwood, but I live in Woodland Hills. That's why I find the Auto Gallery to be so convenient. And yes, they do have Saturday appointments.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so I went back in to DTLA service on Saturday morning...drove the car with the foreman, he heard the noise, we moved the seat around and it went away temporarily. I didn't want to leave the car there but he said he'd try something in the hour-hour 15 I had to spare. Said he worked on the plastic panel underneath the seat for a bit, and I didn't really hear the noise the rest of the day. Drove the car again yesterday and it came back in full force. There was no mention of trying to get a new seat, and I haven't had any contact from them since then. Emailed the foreman as well. At this point, I'm waiting to hear back from a lemon law lawyer to see how good my case is. This was technically the 5th dealer visit, with no improvement, and they don't really have an idea of what could be causing the noise. Guess we'll have to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Ok, so I went back in to DTLA service on Saturday morning...drove the car with the foreman, he heard the noise, we moved the seat around and it went away temporarily. I didn't want to leave the car there but he said he'd try something in the hour-hour 15 I had to spare. Said he worked on the plastic panel underneath the seat for a bit, and I didn't really hear the noise the rest of the day. Drove the car again yesterday and it came back in full force. There was no mention of trying to get a new seat, and I haven't had any contact from them since then. Emailed the foreman as well. At this point, I'm waiting to hear back from a lemon law lawyer to see how good my case is. This was technically the 5th dealer visit, with no improvement, and they don't really have an idea of what could be causing the noise. Guess we'll have to see what happens.
Have you tried to communicate with the general manager of your Porsche dealership? The preferred route would be to go through the Porsche management flow chart (chain of command) starting with your SA, service advisor, service manager then it is completely appropriate to involve the general manager. Let us know how this eventually gets resolved.........may need a new seat.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Update on my issue. I took my car to The Auto Gallery this past Saturday afternoon, and the service manager spent about 15 minutes sitting in the seat and moving around to produce the noise. He said that he was trying to localize where it was coming from; he thought it could be inside the seat. After pushing, pulling, poking and prodding, the noise went away. I drove off the lot and the rest of the day the seat was silent. The next day, it was squeaking the same as before. It may well be tied to the comfort entry/exit, but I like that so much that I don't want to give it up.

I have had car seats that squeaked and/or rocked when you accelerated/braked/turned, and that annoyed me to no end, especially the rocking. This doesn't bother me nearly as much. And my past experience is that a noise that appears suddenly frequently disappears just as suddenly. Plus, if the noise is coming from inside the seat, I don't want to start pulling things apart as that tends to cause additional noises. I will let it go for now. If anything changes, I will post about it.

·
Super Moderator
1,445 Posts
I had a faulty cushion in my Impreza and it took only one visit to get a whole new seat. I sure hope Porsche can do better than Subaru!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you tried to communicate with the general manager of your Porsche dealership? The preferred route would be to go through the Porsche management flow chart (chain of command) starting with your SA, service advisor, service manager then it is completely appropriate to involve the general manager. Let us know how this eventually gets resolved.........may need a new seat.
I haven't spoken to the General Manager of any dealership, the dealership I'm working with now isn't the dealership I purchased the car from. I live in LA and I bought the car in San Diego, it's not really possible for me to go to that original dealership. I requested a new seat after the last attempt didn't work, the Service Manager said her technical rep wanted me to drive the car again with the shop foreman. I drove the car with the foreman, he heard the noise, said he would try to do a repair while I was at the dealership, he tried, it was gone temporarily and came back within a few hours of me driving it. They never contacted me again after that visit this past Saturday. I then asked them for a written service record of my visit on Saturday, which they sent me. There has been no mention of a new seat since my visit. I have absolutely zero confidence that they're going to give me a new seat, or that it's even a remote possibility.

Looks like we're going to hire a lawyer to send them a demand letter. It's been technically five dealer visits and no improvement. The noise is as bad as it's ever been, and there's no resolution in sight. I don't know how anyone could drive the car like this, it's absolutely infuriating to drive, there's no way to drown it out, and I wouldn't expect it to happen on a $20,000 Honda let alone a $70,000 Porsche. It's been happening for almost 6 months of the 8.5 that I've had the car. Even if I decided to sell the car, who would buy it from me with this awful noise, and 6 months of service records showing failed attempt after failed attempt and no ability to diagnose or solve whatever problem it is.

I love Porsche, I love the Cayman as an model, but this car is absolutely undriveable the way it is.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Let me know if you need a referral to a lemon law attorney in the LA area.

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
I haven't spoken to the General Manager of any dealership ... I love Porsche, I love the Cayman as an model, but this car is absolutely undriveable the way it is.
Before you get lawyers involved, you really should exhaust all other options. As noted by others in this thread, the General Manager of the dealership you are having your car serviced at needs to be your next step. At that stage -- and any stage, really -- the dealership isn't the primary culpable party for a repair that's plainly a warranty issue; it's the manufacturer. Part of the General Manager's responsibility is to act as a facilitator between the dealership and Porsche for issues such as this one because it's in the GM's best interest to see it resolved. He knows as well as anyone that something like this could reflect badly on the dealership, you know?

First, approach a GM. Then, approach Porsche NA if the GM doesn't facilitate a solution. Trust me: Both the dealer and Porsche NA would rather spend, say, $1k for a new seat than thousands upon thousands for litigation. Wouldn't you?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Before you get lawyers involved, you really should exhaust all other options. As noted by others in this thread, the General Manager of the dealership you are having your car serviced at needs to be your next step. At that stage -- and any stage, really -- the dealership isn't the primary culpable party for a repair that's plainly a warranty issue; it's the manufacturer. Part of the General Manager's responsibility is to act as a facilitator between the dealership and Porsche for issues such as this one because it's in the GM's best interest to see it resolved. He knows as well as anyone that something like this could reflect badly on the dealership, you know?

First, approach a GM. Then, approach Porsche NA if the GM doesn't facilitate a solution. Trust me: Both the dealer and Porsche NA would rather spend, say, $1k for a new seat than thousands upon thousands for litigation. Wouldn't you?
Of course, and that makes sense to me but there's been zero interest on their part in getting me a new seat. I tried approaching Porsche NA, you have to go through a dealership to get a new seat, there's no way for anyone at Porsche NA to authorize a repair above and beyond an individual dealership. The dealership I'm working with isn't willing to give me a new seat, as stupid as that is, so this is where we are. It's just been literally 6 months of dealing with a problem that makes the car absolutely infuriating to drive with no end in sight from the dealer.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts