Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hello @ianmSC!! I have virtually the same squeaky seat noise as you. I have had my 2017 base Boxster for a nearly a year and have 5200 miles on the clock. The seat noise started last fall. I haven't driven the car much since November so I have waited to have the dealer look at the problem. I have an appointment on the 27th for an oil change and state inspection. I am also having them look/listen to the seat noise. I will keep you posted as to what I find out.
@Gallatin do you have an update on your situation? I still have the squeaking but haven't had the time to take it in yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I replied to the thread on Planet9 on this topic but I'll add my theory here as well:

My suspicion that the squeaking noise is coming from the seat release mechanism was strengthened last night: I, for the first time, utilized the coat hook on the back of the seat, and there seemed to be just enough support from my coat being squeezed between the seat back and the bulkhead to keep the seat from making a peep over a ~1 hr drive. On this morning's drive to work with the coat no longer on the hook behind the seat the squeak was back in full effect. I may try a tiny bit of lube on the edges of the lever that could potentially come into contact with the surround, or better yet just jam a microfiber rag in there to see if the squeak is the lever rubbing on the surround or if it is something in the mechanism inside of the seat. Worst case, I can stick a pillow behind the seat :derp:

·
Registered
301 Posts
As I said in an earlier post, if I shimmy while seated I can easily recreate the squeak. However, if I try that while sitting forward in the seat (with my back not touching the seat back), there is no squeak. So at least I have localized the problem to being in the seat back. I have an appointment at Porsche on Monday morning, so I will see what they say and report back.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I took my car in yesterday for the squeaky driver's seat. They applied lubricant to various points, including the seat rails and seat back hinges, and seemed to have tamed the squeak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I took my car in yesterday for the squeaky driver's seat. They applied lubricant to various points, including the seat rails and seat back hinges, and seemed to have tamed the squeak.
The dealership I went to did exactly the same thing to my car, it went away for maybe a few weeks at that point and then came right back.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I already have a little noise coming back, though not nearly as bad as before. I am beginning to think that it is inside the seat. Is there a way to get into the seat without damaging the leather or setting off the airbag?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had a similar sounding squeek. It turned out to be the seatbelt anchor rubbing on the seat. It has slowly gone (broke in?) away. The anchor was apparently doing a stiction thing on the seat leather when I fastened my belt, moved around, bumpy roads, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I already have a little noise coming back, though not nearly as bad as before. I am beginning to think that it is inside the seat. Is there a way to get into the seat without damaging the leather or setting off the airbag?
Honestly that's what it sounds like to me as well, it sounds like there's something wrong with the actual seat itself. I've looked at every mechanism, they've looked at every mechanism, lubricated everything, replaced the seat rails, and the noise is just as bad, if not worse, today than it's ever been, 6 months after they tried to fix it the first time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I had the same issue with my 718 cayman. I from Australia by the way. The squeaking was driving me nuts. Took it back to the dealer and they said that as I had the seat right back against the firewall that was causing the squeaking. They suggested I move the seat back off the firewall......problem fixed!! What a load of crap! Anyway I decided to lubricate the leather on the side of the back rest and trying to get leather treating product between the plastic cover over the seat hinge etc....that seemed to help but didn't resolve issue. I then used WD40, don't know if you have that product there, inserted the spray nozzle and sprayed WD40 around the seat hinge, underneath, behind the plastic cover over the mechanism..........................it's now been 12 months.............NO SQUEAK!!!! Love the car but hate rattles and squeaks. By the way, I also located solution to another rattle that seemed to come from dashboard area. Again tried bits of rubber etc everywhere and nothing worked. My wife kept telling me that she thought the rattle came from the back hatch area. I noticed the rear hatch has adjustable rubber "buffers" which screw out. Well I adjusted the buffers on each side by one or two turns..............bloody thing worked. My car is now rattle free and a real pleasure to drive. Good luck guys hope this works for you. Tony

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
This seat squeaking is somewhat disconcerting given the amount we pay for these cars. Disappointed to hear this is an issue for several of our 718 owners.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is concerning to me. I don't think Porsche's response of acting like their "hands are tied", and it is up to the dealer is a fair assessment. The dealer could ask for a new seat, and Porsche could authorize that warranty work. I doubt it is even that difficult of an install, especially with an all manual seat. Is this typical of how Porsche supports (or lack thereof) their customers? I wouldn't want to be the one to be on the receiving end of this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This seat squeaking is somewhat disconcerting given the amount we pay for these cars. Disappointed to hear this is an issue for several of our 718 owners.
Exactly. It would be disconcerting in a new Honda Accord. My girlfriend has a 7 year old used BMW 328 she bought from a Honda dealership and the seats in that car make no noise at all. To spend $65-75k on a car and have the seat squeaking within a few months is very disappointing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
This is concerning to me. I don't think Porsche's response of acting like their "hands are tied", and it is up to the dealer is a fair assessment. The dealer could ask for a new seat, and Porsche could authorize that warranty work. I doubt it is even that difficult of an install, especially with an all manual seat. Is this typical of how Porsche supports (or lack thereof) their customers? I wouldn't want to be the one to be on the receiving end of this.
Right. My read on these situations is that the dealers must be incentivized to not ask for even moderately significant repairs like this. I'd imagine there's some kind of loss ratio goal that they need to meet from the factory that makes it so they don't want to push for a major new part like this.

By the way, the squeaking is as bad now as its ever been, and there's even a new noise that happens periodically when making left turns.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Dealer fixed my 18 way seat squeak. A little lube in the inboard seat release handle fixed it.
How long has the fix lasted? The fix the dealer did for me (lube on the connecting points from the seat bottom to seat back) lasted about 3 weeks before the squeaking started again.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Keep us posted how this real PROBLEM evolves........this is an issue Porsche needs to look at simply based on the numbers of 718 owners with this major issue. I would be pissed.........

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
FYI - just to update everyone, Porsche offered me a $3000 cash and keep settlement offer when my lemon law lawyer sent out a demand letter. And it took them 90 days to do that.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts