Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
FYI - just to update everyone, Porsche offered me a $3000 cash and keep settlement offer when my lemon law lawyer sent out a demand letter. And it took them 90 days to do that.
How are you going to proceed?
...question...so this is different from the drivers side "rattle" posted elsewhere, which seems attributed to a broken plastic electronics "cage" under the seat? Should I assume more 718 owners do NOT experience said sqeaks and rattles than actually do?...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
How are you going to proceed?
So right now the lawyer's office is reviewing whether or not they think it's worthy of pursuing litigation and they're going to let me know in a few days. I'd imagine they're going to recommend that I just accept the offer and keep fighting to get it replaced. Apparently I don't have much choice as far as negotiating for more money, it's basically a take it or leave it offer or litigation. There's also an issue in that at this point the lawyer will take a set fee, I believe around 30% of the settlement, whereas once they start litigation and settle (there's no way this would actually go to trial), they can start taking fees and costs on top of a percentage, meaning I could get offered say, $10-15,000 and take home $5,000. They say their fees and costs aren't exorbitant, but you never know. So it seems likely I'm going to be stuck taking the $3,000 offer which of course, isn't nearly enough to get me out of the depreciation in a 12 month old car with 13,500 miles and the down payment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
...question...so this is different from the drivers side "rattle" posted elsewhere, which seems attributed to a broken plastic electronics "cage" under the seat? Should I assume more 718 owners do NOT experience said sqeaks and rattles than actually do?...
I had posted a YouTube video showing the sound coming from my seat, although the lawyer's office recommended removing any materials about the car, so I took it down. I'll re-post it as soon as I can so you can see what I'm referring to. My sound isn't a rattle, it's a creaking noise, and sometimes a different noise coming from the shoulder bolster area (I have the 2-way sport plus seats). I have a family friend who races cars and restores classic British Lagonda's, Bentley's etc. for a living, and he said to him it sounded like the springs in the seat cushion are broken and rubbing together. And the only way to fix that is to replace the seat. I'm not an expert but that's the most plausible answer I've heard yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Do you have an estimate for the seat replacement? Probably significantly more then 3K.
I don't, and yeah I'd assume it's a lot more than that. I'm going to confirm with the lawyer but as long as this settlement doesn't restrict me from continuing to go to dealers about this specific issue, I guess I don't have much choice but to continue to hound dealerships to try to get them to replace it. Because as you say, it's far beyond annoying.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I don't, and yeah I'd assume it's a lot more than that. I'm going to confirm with the lawyer but as long as this settlement doesn't restrict me from continuing to go to dealers about this specific issue, I guess I don't have much choice but to continue to hound dealerships to try to get them to replace it. Because as you say, it's far beyond annoying.
Maybe your attorney can make a counter offer for seat replacement, that is, if that hasn't been attempted yet.

·
Registered
301 Posts
That is not the noise that I hear. I get a squeaking when I shimmy in the seat (such as what happens when you go slowly over a speed bump or dip in the road when you attack it at an angle). Of its own, the noise has decreased over the last few weeks. I don't know if it is because it is much (much) warmer now, or simply because whatever is rubbing together has worn down some. It could also be because I disabled the entry/exit assist function. They are replacing the interior of the driver's door as the top fasteners are broken and it makes a crunching noise when I rest my elbow on the door with the window down. When they do that in a few weeks I will re-address the seat issue with them.

·
Registered
692 Posts
What a pita! Hope everyone gets this resolved eventually. My seat makes no noise. Sure expect my new Cayman's seats will be quiet as well...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Do you have to be driving to hear the noise? Or can you reproduce it just by pressing on the seat?
You can reproduce it when just sitting in the seat and moving around, you don't have to be driving. It happens more often when driving, but not exclusively.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Dealer fixed my 18 way seat squeak. A little lube in the inboard seat release handle fixed it.
How long has the fix lasted? The fix the dealer did for me (lube on the connecting points from the seat bottom to seat back) lasted about 3 weeks before the squeaking started again.
Still squeak free. It sounded like the recent YouTube video posted in this thread.

·
Registered
301 Posts
So, baby is back at the doctor for the squeaky driver's seat. After a full day, they are still "diagnosing the squeak." They hear it and don't deny that it is an abnormal sound, but they are not sure what is causing it. They tried both seat release handles, but those do not appear to be involved. The saga continues. Has anyone found a way to reliably quell the squeak? I turned off comfort entry/exit and that did not do it. As I said in an earlier post, I am concerned that it is something inside the seat.

·
Registered
245 Posts
So, baby is back at the doctor for the squeaky driver's seat. After a full day, they are still "diagnosing the squeak." They hear it and don't deny that it is an abnormal sound, but they are not sure what is causing it. They tried both seat release handles, but those do not appear to be involved. The saga continues. Has anyone found a way to reliably quell the squeak? I turned off comfort entry/exit and that did not do it. As I said in an earlier post, I am concerned that it is something inside the seat.
I was able to eliminate the squeak in my car by raising the seat cushion height (2 way seats). Seems this issue dates back to the 997, because that's where I found the suggestion. Raising the seat from its lowest position by ~1/2" - 3/4" made all the difference. It isn't a fix to the root cause, but worked in my case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I was able to eliminate the squeak in my car by raising the seat cushion height (2 way seats). Seems this issue dates back to the 997, because that's where I found the suggestion. Raising the seat from its lowest position by ~1/2" - 3/4" made all the difference. It isn't a fix to the root cause, but worked in my case.

I tried that a few times, and it would work temporarily, but it eventually always came back.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Earlier today I heard back from my SA and was told that they replaced the seat rails and that "the squeak has been eliminated." I pick the car up tomorrow and will report, but I have to admit that I am somewhat skeptical as I believe that the noise is coming from within the seat, itself. If this doesn't work then I am going to request that they replace the entire seat. I will let you know.

·
Registered
709 Posts
So I've had the annoying driver seat rattle for a while now and finally took the car in yesterday to have it looked at. I was able to reproduce it for the service techs while sitting in the seat so they knew what was happening and how to reproduce it. When I picked the car up the rattle was gone. They said they traced the rattle to the seat cover rubbing against the frame, and that after adjusting the cover and lubricating the seat the rattle when away. So let's see if this was a permanent fix.

Note - I have the Sport Seat Plus manual seats (so not the 18 way adjustable ones)

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2018 cayman seat squeaks like crazy. I actually had my seat replaced about 6 months back under warranty for an other issue and now this new seat squeaks. The noises are coming from within the seat backing. I will attach a link showing the ridiculous noises. I have an appointment with the dealer on the 24th of this month and will be sure to add it to the list of things to fix. I also have a clicking / creaking noise coming from the steering column area. Anyone else have that issue?

Check out the link to the video of the seat noises:

·
Registered
569 Posts
My 2018 cayman seat squeaks like crazy. I actually had my seat replaced about 6 months back under warranty for an other issue and now this new seat squeaks. The noises are coming from within the seat backing. I will attach a link showing the ridiculous noises. I have an appointment with the dealer on the 24th of this month and will be sure to add it to the list of things to fix. I also have a clicking / creaking noise coming from the steering column area. Anyone else have that issue?

Check out the link to the video of the seat noises:

Which seats do have?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts