Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I ordered my Cayman S in February and it sailed the seas over May and June, landing in San Diego June 18th or so. It arrived at the dealer the night of July 3, and I took a Lyft there the next morning to pick it up. Before I signed anything or handed over the check, I first took it for a quick test drive. Something seemed off, and when I let go of the wheel on a straight road, the car veered strongly to the left while the steering wheel was clocked to the right. Ack! I told them I'm not going to take it until it is correct working order; the sales dude tried to get me to pay for it and schedule a service to get it fixed, but I refused. Since I was going out of town the following day for a week, I had to schedule the next attempt at a pick up for the next weekend, and then I had Lyft back home. When I returned, the car was properly aligned; it seemed 3 of the wheels were out of spec, perhaps the result of being tied down too tightly on the truck from San Diego to here. The dealer hypothesized that the skeleton crew on July 4th did not do a test drive inspection that would have found the error. Looks like Porsche needs a more thorough receipt-at-dealer inspection check list.

The car is a manual Cayman S in Rhodium Silver with a Graphite Blue full leather interior. I added SPASM, PTV, PSE, navigation, Bose, auto climate, power seats, standard wheels, painted side intakes, footwell net, & smoking package.

I haven't had the chance to drive it much, so as of this morning it had only 215 miles. Keeping it under 4000 rpm for 2000 miles is terribly frustrating (my salesman said that Porsche runs the engines in prior to installation so there's no need to baby it, but I've never heard that, and the manual says there is a break-in period, which is what I'm following). I really impressed by the PASM suspension - it is quite smooth on highways, but gets tightened down when the suspension or Sport buttons are pressed.

Just this morning I took it to get 3M film put on the rockers and about mid-way up the side intakes. This is a weekend car that will primarily get used driving up in the mountains. It will supplant my 2008 Miata (which I still have with just 31k miles on it). The Miata has pitting along the rockers from pebbles kicked up by the tires. Since the Cayman will not see many highway miles, I opted not to cover the front. I will be ceramic coating the car myself this weekend.

I will be getting a front license plate mount that fits in the tow hook hole, and probably that T-Design memory module that remembers the settings for the auto start/stop, sport mode, and PSE.

I'm looking forward to driving the mountain roads with a more torquey car (though the Miata was/is still quite a good handling car, especially with aftermarket suspension bits).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Interesting post....I am scheduled to receive my 2018 CS on or around the 15th of September. I was going to have the dealership place the car on a truck and ship it directly to my home after their prep work......but maybe that's not such a great idea. I now realize I will need to go up to the dealership (3 hours away) and test drive it before signing on the dotted line. Thanks for the post....
My SA said the same thing to me about not needing to go through a break in period but that is contrary to everything I have read.........I will take it easy for the first 2000 miles, and stay under the 4200 rpm's, as hard as that is.....
Beautiful car........

·
Registered
28 Posts
Beautiful car........
+1 :D And congratulations on your new 718 Cayman S. Have fun with that lovely car...

What actually grinds my gears is the behaviour of the Porsche sales man... :mad: You point out such a massive flaw with the car and he tries to empty your pocket nonetheless. What a shame, what a huge disappointment.

I mean we all make mistakes, nobody's perfect ( thank God ), so stuff like that can and will happen. But in my book that was the moment when Porsche should have presented real customer service and polite behaviour on top. Make no mistake, building and selling a new car is not that hard. Everybody from Audi over Lincoln, Mercedes, Subaru to Volvo or ZX-Auto in China is able to do it. But the difference between advertising customer service and actually delivering it, first shows once a problem comes up. Maybe I am looking at it wrong, but for me Porsche is a luxury brand. And therefore I expect "royal customer treatment".

Anyway, keeping fingers crossed the first 2000 miles won't hurt that much. Have a safe and fun-packed ride, Xztau...!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Xztau, it's too bad your delivery experience was less than optimal. As long as they got it right now. I really like the painted side intakes. I was wondering if I should do the same, but opted in the end against it. I also really like the Graphite Blue full interior treatment.
Well done. Congrats!

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
It's a great car, I hope you really enjoy it--I enjoy mine every day.

Sub-standard dealer though.

Porsche Australia directly surveys it's customers after the sale so the dealers seem to work hard to get it right. My dealer said if there was anything that wasn't perfect to contact him directly and he would get it seen to immediately. He also said that if a dealer/sales rep. gets anything but perfect marks on the survey, Porsche Australia comes down hard. He followed up delivery a couple of days later and checked that I was happy.

I don't know what Porsche USA is like, but forwarding your story to them might be in order--I can think of both pluses and minuses.

Greg

·
Registered
320 Posts
Congratulations. Great build. I think that you and I may have the only Rhodinum Silver Caymans on this site.

You might want to consider paint protection film to cover the rear bumper area just behind the rear wheels. I find that area to be a particularly vulnerable area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts