Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. New to the group and have a GTS 4.0 in Gentian Blue on order. Living in the Seattle area. Was doing some initial research regarding paint correction, ceramic coating, and full PPF and just wanted to know ballpark what people were being quoted for full body PPF. I was quoted 11k for full PPF. Ceramic coating of about 2k not including paint correction. Does this sound about average? What are some other placed in the PNW that you guys have used and trust? Thank you much!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Not sure about the US but if that was in the UK it would be very expensive.
For example TOPAZ, which is a very high end detailing company, charge about £4500 for a full PPF, £1000 for a level 2 paint enhancement including interior and then roughly £300-500 for ceramic coating.

I'd seriously consider getting other quotes from reputable detailers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about the US but if that was in the UK it would be very expensive.
For example TOPAZ, which is a very high end detailing company, charge about £4500 for a full PPF, £1000 for a level 2 paint enhancement including interior and then roughly £300-500 for ceramic coating.

I'd seriously consider getting other quotes from reputable detailers.
Thank you for the reply. The quote I got was from Metropolitan detail in Redmond, WA. They have ballpark pricing listed on their website and when the rep replied, he quoted me a couple hundred more per panel than what the website stated. Definitely an oversight on his part for not looking at what the website stated. Plus, I don't think the rear quarter panels, doors, and roof would account for an extra 6k of PPF cost when those areas are not nearly as hard as the front...... SMH

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
That sounds a bit high IMO. However I’m in the mid west and you’d be lucky to find someone willing to pay that. They’d not be in business very long around here. I’m a big believer in you get what you pay for, but also know some shops are willing to take advantage.

I used the “expensive” guy around here because of his reputation as the best installer. With extensive paint correction, full PPF and Modesta glass coating, I’m all in at just over 1/3 your quote for only PPF & coating. Geographical location and that area’s economic conditions come into play and need accounted for. So you could see higher fees, but IMO that estimate is getting pretty greedy.

Also, no way would I put film over a non prepped/corrected surface.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hi everyone. New to the group and have a GTS 4.0 in Gentian Blue on order. Living in the Seattle area. Was doing some initial research regarding paint correction, ceramic coating, and full PPF and just wanted to know ballpark what people were being quoted for full body PPF. I was quoted 11k for full PPF. Ceramic coating of about 2k not including paint correction. Does this sound about average? What are some other placed in the PNW that you guys have used and trust? Thank you much!
From what I've experienced and heard, a full-front PPF wrap, ie, bumper cover, hood, front fenders and backs of mirrors seem to come in about $1500-$2000 on average. Some higher and some lower of course. $11K sounds about (at least?) twice too much to me. I also question the need to wrap the entire car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds a bit high IMO. However I’m in the mid west and you’d be lucky to find someone willing to pay that. They’d not be in business very long around here. I’m a big believer in you get what you pay for, but also know some shops are willing to take advantage.

I used the “expensive” guy around here because of his reputation as the best installer. With extensive paint correction, full PPF and Modesta glass coating, I’m all in at just over 1/3 your quote for only PPF & coating. Geographical location and that area’s economic conditions come into play and need accounted for. So you could see higher fees, but IMO that estimate is getting pretty greedy.

Also, no way would I put film over a non prepped/corrected surface.
Pacific North West, especially around the Seattle area has a HCOL. There are still a lot of shops in the are I need to check out. This was just the first quote that I received. And definitely agreed, no PPF with paint correction first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I've experienced and heard, a full-front PPF wrap, ie, bumper cover, hood, front fenders and backs of mirrors seem to come in about $1500-$2000 on average. Some higher and some lower of course. $11K sounds about (at least?) twice too much to me. I also question the need to wrap the entire car.
From reading some other threads on this site, it seems like average pricing is falling into the 5k ish range when it comes to full PPF. 11k is definitely extreme. Full PPF is just my OCD coming out lol.

·
Registered
797 Posts
From reading some other threads on this site, it seems like average pricing is falling into the 5k ish range when it comes to full PPF. 11k is definitely extreme. Full PPF is just my OCD coming out lol.
I completely understand. At the same time, after about 10K miles of driving on all sorts of roads and speeds, I've not seen a mark anywhere but on the front end, backs of the mirrors, on the rockers just forward of the rear wheels, and on the rear bumper just behind the rear wheels. Not a mark on the doors, roof, rear hatch, ... (yet?), nor do I think PPF would avert damage given what would be required for something to strike any those panels, ie, backing into or sideswiping something. And I don't even think a door is safe from a door ding with PPF for example. Just my opinion. Others may be able to provide different experience.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would recommend doing only the front bumper of your vehicle with PPF and forget about ceramic coating a waste of money. You can use a good quality high gloss sealant that will last 6 months with the same high gloss as ceramic.
I have spend $600.00 for PPF on front bumper that is all you need to protect your GTS from road debris. I have used the High Gloss Sealant and spend $48.00. and it took me about an hour to apply. Actually I enjoy applying the sealant and buffing my Porsche. Six months from now may be a long time for me to apply the sealant again but I can wait.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I also like to mention that all car dealers like to sell you Ceramic, PPF, Paint Correction and everything else at there disposal. Be smart and stay away from all that Hype that they try to sell to make extra money. You have a brand new Porsche that does not need paint correction or full PPF. Now if don't like to buff and use sealant on your Porsche than ceramic coating is for you. But don't forget that you can get the same high sealant gloss by doing it yourself with a quality sealant every six months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm also from the Seattle area and I have a base 718 on order as well.
I am planning to do a front ppf w/ full hood with APC auto spa in Woodinville when my car arrives.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am planning to do a front ppf w/ full hood with APC auto spa in Woodinville when my car arrives.
Make sure you look at some of the vehicles that Auto Spa have apply the PPF. Sometimes the quality of the PPF will look like orange peel skin after application and that is not good at all. It should be completely clear without the orange peel texture. Make sure you look up very close to see any imperfection's. From the distance you will not notice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Met detail in Redmond is known to be expensive but does fantastic job. I don't think you'll need a full body wrap but if you want to keep everything pristine, sure that's the way to go. I always just do a full front wrap. Coatings makes it easier to clean for longer periods of time. If you like to spend a few hours every so often detailing the car, skip the coating. Last car I did my own coating (took way too much effort) and it lasted 2 years before needing to polish off and reapply. With the coating on, most times, I just need to foam gun the car, rinse and it's clean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats on the new Cayman! Would love to know how you spec'd yours out!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My time is pretty limited as I'm at work more often than not. Would love to be able to detail the car on my own at some point but I just don't see that happening any time soon. For ease and peace of mind, full PPF just makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I looked at the Full application like this...

1. Full front with mirrors is a no brainer and pretty standard. I say full front if you don't want a stop line part way up the hood and based on color of car you may or may not see the stop line. Darker colors and Metallics can probably get away with partial hood but a solid or light color has to deal with dirt being visible at that stop line.
2. Rockers are a must. Because of the design of our rockers, if you want one piece, you'll need to go to the rear and up around intakes to body line.
3. I did rear fenders because it seems every time I'd go in for service, some jack hole would manage to put a belt mark in my fender. (this is not necessary or needed for all, but my porsche dealer is also a dodge dealer... so I get dodge level of concern on a car that requires using fender to lean on for work). Added bonus is this also includes the A-Pillar since it's a single panel.
4. Rear bumper kicks, just to keep from being peppered. (most places will just throw this in because they can use some of the wasted film here)

That's roughly 80% of the car with PPF... Why not finish it with doors, roof and full rear bumper?
Rough illustration of what I'm talking about. VERY ROUGH

1 - 20 of 23 Posts