Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really torn between the Cayman S with 6 speed manual and Miami Blue and the Challenger Hellcat with auto in Plum Crazy color.

I have a pristine 944 Turbo (which I plan to sell) and a 2008 Miata and Audi S5 (all manuals).

I know I'm giving up handling with the Hellcat, but I have close to the same power weight ratio as the Cayman S with my 944 Turbo (has over 300 hp with Max951 chip). To me the Cayman S needs more power.

Has anyone here owned both cars?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’ve not even driven a Hellcat, but it’s a no contest choice for me... 718 every time. (You expect otherwise on a 718 forum?)
I just purchased a GTS. It’s spooky fast. It’ll do 0-60 in 3.9 sec vs Hellcat’s 3.6, despite having about 1/2 the horsepower.
Until today, all my cars have been manual transmission but I this time I went for the PDK. It’s just too good.
The thing for me is all about handling. I never go to the drag strip, but love the twisty mountain roads.
Most of my time, though, is in town or highway/freeway driving. My previous Cayman S had only 275 hp, but I could ram the guy ahead of me any time I wanted. The car rarely saw redline. But good handling and brakes are appreciated every mile of every day.
Try the Hellcat forum for the opposite perspective.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate it. I've only driven the Challenger 485 hp SRT and liked it. I have a Miata for sharp handling, and I really like variety. So that is why I'm torn. If I only had one car, I'd pick the Cayman S. I have posted on Helcat forum and there are a few former Cayman S owners who have purchased the Hellcat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
On Sunday, I was driving my new GTS on a freeway next to a Hellcat at about 70 mph. At some point, traffic opened up and the Hellcat punched it. I didn’t give chase because I’m still in the breakin period, my exit was coming up, and frankly I can’t afford another speeding ticket right now. (Those are my excuses, and I’m sticking with them.)
Anyhow, that car can clearly haul ass and sounds great doing it. It’s kinda a “holly ****!” thing. I can see the attraction, even if it’s something you can rarely do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Let's analyze this from a different perspective. Both cars are built for 2 different things, Hellcat is a straight line bruiser. Cayman is no slouch but is for the twisties and spirited driving. In reality you're going to find the Cayman more fun and usable in day to day situations. Don't pay much attention to the HP figures from Porsche. It's a consensus that the Cayman S/GTS is closer to the 400hp mark from the factory. Pair this with a PDK transmission and a very light car and HP is much less important.

If you're still not satisfied with the Cayman's power I suggest a cat bypass pipe and a tune. Have both on my GTS and this thing now MOVES! I'm going to hunt a Hellcat now and report back to see how it compares!

Shameless plug of my car below. How could you choose a Hellcat over one of these beauties?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very intriguing. Why would Porsche quote 350/365 HP for CS/GTS if power is closer to 400 HP? If true, my guess would be they want to create "illusion" that the 911 is a faster car, while still pleasing the "butt" dynometers of Cayman drivers.

No doubt if you only could own one car, you would pick the Cayman over the Hellcat. Fully agree.

But lets not fool ourselves, from a rolling start to 100, the Hellcat (90% have automatics, so you won't find them in the wrong gear) is formidable- and such straight line opportunities are quite common in Texas. Yes, the Hellcat will have to stand on the brakes when a curve appears!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Slightly off topic - regarding S/GTS being closer to 400 hp. I just came from a 2016 M3 (did not have the comp pack) with 425 hp and 500 additional pounds of car weight. My butt dyno says the M3 is slightly faster once both cars have full traction (getting initial off the line traction in the M3 is not easy). Maybe the M3 is understated as well, but IMO, 365 hp for my GTS feels about right.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Slightly off topic - regarding S/GTS being closer to 400 hp. I just came from a 2016 M3 (did not have the comp pack) with 425 hp and 500 additional pounds of car weight. My butt dyno says the M3 is slightly faster once both cars have full traction (getting initial off the line traction in the M3 is not easy). Maybe the M3 is understated as well, but IMO, 365 hp for my GTS feels about right.
I do think a heavier car with gobs of torque (406 lb./ft.) is likely to feel faster while running the same times as a lighter car with less power. BMW M3 vs Porsche 718 Cayman S - FastestLaps.com

What I gleaned from searching BMW and Tuner forums is this: BMW turbo engines are notoriously understated wrt factory power ratings (indeed this practice, along with similar by Audi, predates the introduction of the new-gen Porsche 9A2 turbos and likely factored into Porsche's ratings for both the 911 and 718).

But rather than try to compare cars of different weights from different manufacturers using data compiled from different independent testers, I'm going by the exactly matching raw times in C&D track sheets for the PDK 991.1 Carrera S (400 Porsche hp) and the 718 Boxster S. I just find that more reliable than subjective seat-of-the-pants impressions, although I understand the latter can be persuasive to the person sitting in the seat...

eta: new/recent members of the the forum interested in this topic can reference my posts in the Engine/Technical section http://www.718forum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Definitely not trying to turn this into an M3 vs GTS discussion as I could not be more happy with the change I made. No comparison in driving experience. I thought the acceleration between the two could be fairly analyzed because both red line at about the same RPM and both cars were manual. It’s really small, but the M3 has just a little more pull all the way to the red line. Definitely more initial torque, but 5k to 7k RPMs are a little more as well. It will be interesting to see if I still think that after the GTS has a few thousand miles and a few track days as the motor will definitely be fully broken in by then.

I don’t think I will ever go back to a high HP front engine, rear wheel drive car again. They are just way too traction limited. The GTS wants to grip at all times and its ability to change direction makes me want to break every traffic law whenever I drive it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
... If true, my guess would be they want to create "illusion" that the 911 is a faster car, while still pleasing the "butt" dynometers of Cayman drivers...
I just got the latest issue of Christophorous. In it there was a loose post card and on the front of that promotional card they show a Cayman/Boxster GTS and quote a 0-60 0f 3.9. On the back is the Carerra T and for that car they quote 0-60 in 4 sec.

Guess they weren't afraid to show the performance overlap between base Carrera and the top-of-the line 718.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I traded my 2014 Shelby GT500 with 662 BHP in on my 718. No traction at any speed below 100 MPH. You had to lug it to pass traffic with out fishtailing. There is such a thing as to much power for the cars design, front engine & trannie. The traction control was inadequate.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don’t think I will ever go back to a high HP front engine, rear wheel drive car again. They are just way too traction limited. The GTS wants to grip at all times and its ability to change direction makes me want to break every traffic law whenever I drive it.
Try a Shelby GT350. Every bit the equal of my 718 GTS. You're right about the rest though. >:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try a Shelby GT350. Every bit the equal of my 718 GTS. You're right about the rest though. >:D
Ah, so you own both the Shelby GT350 and the 718 GTS? Wow. For this week at least, I am strongly leaning to the Cayman S, mainly because the Challenger, in all its versions, is way too common for my tastes.

Which did you but first?

Which would you sell if you could only keep one?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ah, so you own both the Shelby GT350 and the 718 GTS? Wow. For this week at least, I am strongly leaning to the Cayman S, mainly because the Challenger, in all its versions, is way too common for my tastes.

Which did you but first?

Which would you sell if you could only keep one?
The Shelby came first. It'd be way too difficult to decide which to part with if that decision ever had to be made. I had a Challenger ScatPac for two years and it was faster than either the Shelby or the Cayman, but it was a hog in corners. I've driven a buddies Hellcat a few times and it's a hoot in a straight line, but like the ScatPac, it isn't impressive at all on a winding road. I had the Cayman out for a ride today and passed a Demon going the other way. I looked at it in my rear view mirror and what stood out was that big old wide rear end. They are pretty ugly from the back.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is a funny comparison. In all seriousness, though, each scratches a different itch. The closest you would come to blending these "needs" together might be a Corvette Z06.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a 2017 c63s AMG coupe prior to my current 2018 GTS. With over 500 HP and torque the AMG had power to spare but it was unusable on the streets and the car was too heavy for the canyons. Do not get me wrong the AMG was a wonderful car, it put a smile on my face everytime I started it and had a glorious sound. But over the last few years I have been spending my driving time in the canyons. With the 718 GTS I can keep up with just about any car you can think of, it punches WAY above its class. There are not many cars that can handle the twisty roads as well as it can and with as little effort. I have had it for 2 months and 3500 miles (half from canyon driving) and I am still amazed at the grip of the 718. I am sure I will get torched for this but I think of the 718 as a baby Ferrari 488

The only negative of the 718 GTS is the sound. I do not think that the 718 sounds bad, it just does not sound as good as some other cars, especially when driving in the city and just putting around. With my AMG I never listened to the stereo but with the 718 I tend to listen to it more. Though when I am on it the car does makes some really nice noises.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think of the 718 as a baby Ferrari 488.
Makes sense to me. I had a fling with a Ferrari 328 GTS, later got my first Boxster (after a couple Carreras), precisely because I wanted more of the feels-fast, fun-to-drive of the mid-engine open-air spyder (but with German, not Italian, engineering). My 718 S has that along with speed and looks in line with the 360 Spyder, so yeah, not even a baby but a reliable Ferrari....

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had a 2017 c63s AMG coupe prior to my current 2018 GTS. With over 500 HP and torque the AMG had power to spare but it was unusable on the streets and the car was too heavy for the canyons. Do not get me wrong the AMG was a wonderful car, it put a smile on my face everytime I started it and had a glorious sound. But over the last few years I have been spending my driving time in the canyons. With the 718 GTS I can keep up with just about any car you can think of, it punches WAY above its class. There are not many cars that can handle the twisty roads as well as it can and with as little effort. I have had it for 2 months and 3500 miles (half from canyon driving) and I am still amazed at the grip of the 718. I am sure I will get torched for this but I think of the 718 as a baby Ferrari 488

The only negative of the 718 GTS is the sound. I do not think that the 718 sounds bad, it just does not sound as good as some other cars, especially when driving in the city and just putting around. With my AMG I never listened to the stereo but with the 718 I tend to listen to it more. Though when I am on it the car does makes some really nice noises.
I cross shopped the C63S AMG before my 718 and really liked the look, interior and the sound. Two things that were a turn off for me, the fact you couldnt get the coupe without a sunroof ( 6' 5" and long upper torso ) sunroofs don't play well with me. That, and there was an odd knocking or ticking in the exhaust note at idle that I didn't like. Probably the direct injection.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts