Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
The title of this thread really got my attention. Both cars are very well designed. You can't go wrong with either one, but they do have different purposes in life. Hellcats do handle better than most people think, but you have to work at it, compared to a 718. For instance, for the Car and Driver Lightning Lap at VIR, the Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody ran a 2:59.8, while a 718 Cayman S ran a 2:58.3.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The title of this thread really got my attention. Both cars are very well designed. You can't go wrong with either one, but they do have different purposes in life. Hellcats do handle better than most people think, but you have to work at it, compared to a 718. For instance, for the Car and Driver Lightning Lap at VIR, the Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody ran a 2:59.8, while a 718 Cayman S ran a 2:58.3.
Thanks for posting that Michael. Very interesting. I also found it interesting that the 2018 GTS was only 3 seconds quicker over that 4 mile track. Makes me wonder if the Hellcat Redeye which is 80hp more than the standard widebody would be able to make up the difference on the straights enough to actually surpass the GTS time. Either way, pretty formidable for a big old hog like a Challenger.>:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for posting that Michael. Very interesting. I also found it interesting that the 2018 GTS was only 3 seconds quicker over that 4 mile track. Makes me wonder if the Hellcat Redeye which is 80hp more than the standard widebody would be able to make up the difference on the straights enough to actually surpass the GTS time. Either way, pretty formidable for a big old hog like a Challenger.>:D
I would say with 80 more horsepower, probably yes. That's a pretty hefty increase in power, over 10%.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
I would say with 80 more horsepower, probably yes. That's a pretty hefty increase in power, over 10%.
I would supply a counterpoint and say it would be a wash for two reasons:

- Weight. 80hp moving an extra 200-plus pounds over the Widebody, which has lightened components, will negate some of the HP advantage -- and slow the car down a tad in the tighter bits.
- Aerodynamics. This is a much larger effect. The Hellcat Redeye's coefficient of drag is .382, which is not good (For comparison: 718 GTS: .32; NASCAR race car: .28), and the Redeye's rear aerodynamics are plainly not designed primarily to keep the rear wheels planted at 120 MPH-plus speeds. Drag is going to cancel out the majority of that extra oomph.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would supply a counterpoint and say it would be a wash for two reasons:

- Weight. 80hp moving an extra 200-plus pounds over the Widebody, which has lightened components, will negate some of the HP advantage -- and slow the car down a tad in the tighter bits.
- Aerodynamics. This is a much larger effect. The Hellcat Redeye's coefficient of drag is .382, which is not good (For comparison: 718 GTS: .32; NASCAR race car: .28), and the Redeye's rear aerodynamics are plainly not designed primarily to keep the rear wheels planted at 120 MPH-plus speeds. Drag is going to cancel out the majority of that extra oomph.
Maybe I am misunderstanding your point about 200 more pounds. According to the specs on the Dodge website, the Redeye weighs 41 more pounds than the Hellcat Widebody that ran the lap at VIR.

The Redeye has a slightly larger rear spoiler than the Hellcat Widebooy, but track cars typically run much larger rear spoilers for track use to get more downforce in the corners, and for getting the power down coming out of corners (examples GT2, GT3). That should help, if anything. The rest of the body work is the same as the Hellcat Widebody.

With a larger rear spoiler, and 13% more power, I think it would be close to the CS, but if I had to choose which one would run the course faster, I would put my money on the Redeye.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am coming from a Shelby gt 350 , and considered a hellcat redeye. But the size of the challenger compared to a light weight , mid engine german sports car just kept me coming back to the cayman . So I made the choice , and I'm very with that choice

·
Registered
348 Posts
Maybe I am misunderstanding your point about 200 more pounds. According to the specs on the Dodge website, the Redeye weighs 41 more pounds than the Hellcat Widebody that ran the lap at VIR.

The Redeye has a slightly larger rear spoiler than the Hellcat Widebooy, but track cars typically run much larger rear spoilers for track use to get more downforce in the corners, and for getting the power down coming out of corners (examples GT2, GT3). That should help, if anything. The rest of the body work is the same as the Hellcat Widebody.

With a larger rear spoiler, and 13% more power, I think it would be close to the CS, but if I had to choose which one would run the course faster, I would put my money on the Redeye.
1500 lbs difference between the Cayman and Challenger is very significant and affects handling tremendously. In a straight line, if the Challenger can get traction, I can see the advantages of the extra power. Once there are curves and turns? The Porsche starts to gain significant advantages. Including braking.

·
Registered
123 Posts
1500 lbs difference between the Cayman and Challenger is very significant and affects handling tremendously. In a straight line, if the Challenger can get traction, I can see the advantages of the extra power. Once there are curves and turns? The Porsche starts to gain significant advantages. Including braking.

I was referring to the Redeye vs. standard Hellcat. You are, of course, right about the Cayman vs. Challenger weight difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am coming from a Shelby gt 350 , and considered a hellcat redeye. But the size of the challenger compared to a light weight , mid engine german sports car just kept me coming back to the cayman . So I made the choice , and I'm very with that choice
I like Challengers for the same reason I like Porsches - both are fun to drive. I like the larger Challenger for hauling luggage and golf clubs, but at the same time, I don’t want to look like a punk. Perhaps great handling and PDK make the 718 superior to any Dodge.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
In early July, I rented a 2019 R/T and drove around Washington State in it. Literally. I put nearly 2,000 miles on the car.

I can say unequivocally that my base Cayman is the better car in nearly every respect. Even in the R/T's wheelhouse -- acceleration, particularly when moving -- the Cayman is faster, more stable and nimble, and just as responsive.

That said, the R/T wasn't horrible by any stretch. I found it to be a very comfortable long-distance cruiser that's got a definite 'tossability' quotient. I was genuinely impressed with some of the calisthenics I did in it on Oregon 47 northwest of Portland, and for such a heavy, high-sitting car it feels commendably light-footed. But ... well ... I wouldn't own one. I need to try a Camaro SS on a similar-style trip as a counterpoint, hehe ...

(Granted: It's not a Hellcat. But after my experience with the R/T, I can't imagine the Hellcat being much better except for flat-out get-up-and-go.)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts