Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

· Registered
Racing Yellow 2022 Cayman T PDK
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have scoured YouTube for reviews on the Cayman T and there are not very many. Smoking tire has one, Matt was not that kind. Most of the rest are European reviews. Am I not searching for the right key words?

· Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
1,316 Posts
I have scoured YouTube for reviews on the Cayman T and there are not very many. Smoking tire has one, Matt was not that kind. Most of the rest are European reviews. Am I not searching for the right key words?
As far as performance reviews and road tests, I don't think there would be any difference between the Cayman T and the base Cayman. The T has PASM, Sport Chrono and numerous cosmetic items that are optional on the base as standard equipment. But no difference in suspension or engine that I am aware of. What were you looking for relative to a review?

· Premium Member
1,256 Posts
the T series has different sway bars and sits lower than any optioned out base cayman. So that's really a big difference.

Smoking Tire guy is 260+ lbs and sat with a 170 lb guy in the passenger seat for his "test". I weigh 165 lbs. Imagine testing a car with an extra 265 lbs above what cars are designed to be driven as sports cars? that is a +9% increase in weight of a car over spec. that's huge. That is taking a Corvette and adding 325 lbs of extra weight after the driver. It would suck.

now, for the flying turds like EV's or the 3800+ lbs "muscle cars" that are out now, +260 is not noticeable. The Boxster T i have on order has Full Bucket Seats option and seems to weigh about 3000 lbs flat from all insider information as it points to.

(cars are designed to fit 5' 7" tall person weighing 150 lbs approx. German car maybe moves this to 5'9" and 165 is a guess. Crash test dummies are 170 lbs, if generic types)

The point is that a T is designed for ultimate precision driving at its most extreme. I think if someone is not stuck on the 330 lbs of torque that a model S has (the 309 on website is incorrect it seems in every test), that the T is the best Porsche to get for precision driving. I cannot think of anything that will feel like a properly optioned Cayman or Boxster T on the market. It is a one of a kind object and experience.

· Registered
2022 718 Boxster T
303 Posts
FYI no SPASM available (or short shifter, or CF seats) on base. This article gives you the numbers, and the T has some advantages over it's bigger brothers.

· Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
610 Posts
The smoking tire review is quite interesting. They rave about the chassis and how the car can carry speed through the canyons. They also talk about how the turbo engine is better for the gearing than the GT4 NA engine. They incorrectly talk about how the S isn't much more than the T when spec'ed the same. They also call the T an entry level car when it has the same chassis as the GTS 4.0. And they also say the S has better capacity for cooling which isn't true (and even has some problems on the track due to overheating turbo). And finally they say the T isn't worth the money when it's cost is in correct ratio of its performance versus the S or the GTS 4.0.
The reality is that the T is actually a bargain for what it is AND you can put a tune on it and easily bring it to S power for about a grand.
The Savagegeese review is similar. Both say it's a great car but too expensive. But again if that's true then all Caymans are too expensive because the T's performance is relative to its price when compared to the other cars in the lineup. The issue seems to be just because it is only a 4 cylinder when honestly why should that matter.
So I definitely agree that these reviews missed the boat a bit.
If you don't like a turbo engine and don't like the 2.0liter sound I can completely understand that and the T isn't for you. But barring that it's an outstanding car and earns its place in the lineup.
The more I drive mine the more I am thankful that Porsche decided to make it.

· Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
1,316 Posts
the T series has different sway bars and sits lower than any optioned out base cayman. So that's really a big difference.

Smoking Tire guy is 260+ lbs and sat with a 170 lb guy in the passenger seat for his "test". I weigh 165 lbs. Imagine testing a car with an extra 265 lbs above what cars are designed to be driven as sports cars? that is a +9% increase in weight of a car over spec. that's huge. That is taking a Corvette and adding 325 lbs of extra weight after the driver. It would suck.

now, for the flying turds like EV's or the 3800+ lbs "muscle cars" that are out now, +260 is not noticeable. The Boxster T i have on order has Full Bucket Seats option and seems to weigh about 3000 lbs flat from all insider information as it points to.

(cars are designed to fit 5' 7" tall person weighing 150 lbs approx. German car maybe moves this to 5'9" and 165 is a guess. Crash test dummies are 170 lbs, if generic types)

The point is that a T is designed for ultimate precision driving at its most extreme. I think if someone is not stuck on the 330 lbs of torque that a model S has (the 309 on website is incorrect it seems in every test), that the T is the best Porsche to get for precision driving. I cannot think of anything that will feel like a properly optioned Cayman or Boxster T on the market. It is a one of a kind object and experience.
I stand corrected that the SPASM (-20mm) on the T is not available on the base Cayman which can only be optioned with standard PASM (-10mm). That said, I'm not sure I'd call the T a one of a kind experience. SPASM is a performance upgrade available on the S and standard on the GTS 4.0. I'd order a T in a heartbeat over trying to option up a base Cayman. Mostly because I'd want all of its performance options, but also because of the cosmetic upgrades available (e.g. T interior package). But one also needs to evaluate the 2.0 4 cylinder against a 2.5 turbo or the 4.0 NA 6 cylinder. Those are really big differences as well. In my case, coming out of a 981 Cayman S with the 3.4L 6-cylinder, the 4.0 just felt better and more natural. I don't have anything against the 4-sylinder turbos, not even the sound that others criticize. But I do prefer naturally aspirated, free revving, linear response.

· Registered
Racing Yellow 2022 Cayman T PDK
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The smoking tire review is quite interesting. They rave about the chassis and how the car can carry speed through the canyons. They also talk about how the turbo engine is better for the gearing than the GT4 NA engine. They incorrectly talk about how the S isn't much more than the T when spec'ed the same. They also call the T an entry level car when it has the same chassis as the GTS 4.0. And they also say the S has better capacity for cooling which isn't true (and even has some problems on the track due to overheating turbo). And finally they say the T isn't worth the money when it's cost is in correct ratio of its performance versus the S or the GTS 4.0.
The reality is that the T is actually a bargain for what it is AND you can put a tune on it and easily bring it to S power for about a grand.
The Savagegeese review is similar. Both say it's a great car but too expensive. But again if that's true then all Caymans are too expensive because the T's performance is relative to its price when compared to the other cars in the lineup. The issue seems to be just because it is only a 4 cylinder when honestly why should that matter.
So I definitely agree that these reviews missed the boat a bit.
If you don't like a turbo engine and don't like the 2.0liter sound I can completely understand that and the T isn't for you. But barring that it's an outstanding car and earns its place in the lineup.
The more I drive mine the more I am thankful that Porsche decided to make it.
I am excited to get mine. 30 days according to TYD. I have seen the Savagegeese Boxster T review and the Janko guy, wish Nick did a T review. I know his base review is decent but he does hate a bit on the engine noise. Oh and the yellow color.. :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I stand corrected that the SPASM (-20mm) on the T is not available on the base Cayman which can only be optioned with standard PASM (-10mm). That said, I'm not sure I'd call the T a one of a kind experience. SPASM is a performance upgrade available on the S and standard on the GTS 4.0. I'd order a T in a heartbeat over trying to option up a base Cayman. Mostly because I'd want all of its performance options, but also because of the cosmetic upgrades available (e.g. T interior package). But one also needs to evaluate the 2.0 4 cylinder against a 2.5 turbo or the 4.0 NA 6 cylinder. Those are really big differences as well. In my case, coming out of a 981 Cayman S with the 3.4L 6-cylinder, the 4.0 just felt better and more natural. I don't have anything against the 4-sylinder turbos, not even the sound that others criticize. But I do prefer naturally aspirated, free revving, linear response.
gts is 200 lbs heavier.

thats not much of an experience.

· Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I'm not going to get into a T vs. a GTS debate because I've never driven a GTS. (The GTS looks like a fantastic car to me but it is out of my price range.) However, I have owned two 987s and three 981s so I have had some experience with a Cayman. Bottom line is that I couldn't be happier with my T. It has all the acceleration that I need and it handles great! By the way, I've never enjoyed shifting so much in all my life!

· Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
610 Posts
I'm not going to get into a T vs. a GTS debate because I've never driven a GTS. (The GTS looks like a fantastic car to me but it is out of my price range.) However, I have owned two 987s and three 981s so I have had some experience with a Cayman. Bottom line is that I couldn't be happier with my T. It has all the acceleration that I need and it handles great! By the way, I've never enjoyed shifting so much in all my life!
Exactly. There doesn't need to be any debate. They are both excellent cars that different people will love differently. Great to have a choice, particularly when you can even get both in the sweet sweet manual.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts