Porsche 718 Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Exactly sir!! We all prioritize some things higher than others. That is exactly what I was saying about T vs a Base S which is the most common thing said by reviewers. For a few dollars more than the T, you can get a base S with more power. But the T comes with the things important to old school car guys like me. It comes with an LSD standard. It comes with the GT4 short shifter standard which is not available on S or GTS. It comes with leather/sports tex seats which I prefer on a sports car to leather. Alcantara is amazing but maintenance is higher if you really use the car a lot. The cloths seats are incredibly grippy and cooler than leather. Again, a big thing for sports car function. You get the GTS suspension and sports plus seats, but what really sets it apart is that it looks amazing. The titanium grey wheels are the perfect color and even the shape of the stripe looks great. When I considered a GTS, the name designation on the was the first thing I would remove and I considered removing it on the T but with the titanium grey mirror cap, the lower grey stripe balanced it aesthitically. I also agree that it's a shame they didn't offer the 2.5 in the T, because I would've probably checked it myself, but when forced to decided between the T and a little more power, the T is special in that it gives you things that really scratch an itch that S cannot scratch like the cloth seats which are huge on my priority scale and the short shifter from the factory with a warranty and the LSD etc. I thought I wasn't going to be able to feel the LSD do anything with so little torque, but as I said now that the car is broken in and I have learned to drive it, I can feel it working and it makes my little heart go pitter pat. It's not an easy choice and everyone here is happy with their choice because they prioritized what is important to them. What makes the T special is that it is the last Porsche I know of with proper cloth sports seats unless you order some of the special order tartan jobs on a Spyder and it is the lightest variant with an LSD and amazing suspension and a very good manual gearbox with short shifter. So you can see, it is special in that respect. Most people think cloth is just cheap because leather is sold as a more premium material. I like leather as much as the next guy, it smells nice and my T has leather on side and headrests, but where my body sits, is extremely focused all black grippy cool cloth which is an optimal material for performance driving. Leather is awesome, it is like the Rolex Explorer, who wouldn't like it is rugged and good looking and timeless but if you were really going into battle the Casio G-Shock is superior even though less expensive, it is more rugged and better suited for combat.

Sorry for all the rambling, this car still excites me a lot, which a year ago, cars were dead to me. all electronics dashes, leather everything, automatics, fluff to the left, fluff to the right, then BOOM, giant mushroom cloud of love from a T-Bomb. Happy Tuesday everyone!!
You've nailed exactly many of the reasons I recently opted for the MT T over the other models. I LOVE the interior, and that is where I spend my time, so that matters to me. I LOVE the feel of the GT wheel and the shorter, GT4 gearshift in my hands. Everything inside looks and feels correct for me. The materials-- the leather with the deviated stitching, the Sport-Tex cloth with the pin-striping. As a package, this car has something that, again for me, the others lack: real character! I know other cars/models are quicker, but this is the one that speaks to me.
And that's before I turn on the ignition and go!

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
You've nailed exactly many of the reasons I recently opted for the MT T over the other models. I LOVE the interior, and that is where I spend my time, so that matters to me. I LOVE the feel of the GT wheel and the shorter, GT4 gearshift in my hands. Everything inside looks and feels correct for me. The materials-- the leather with the deviated stitching, the Sport-Tex cloth with the pin-striping. As a package, this car has something that, again for me, the others lack: real character! I know other cars/models are quicker, but this is the one that speaks to me.
are you getting a boxter or cayman T or have i mean?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Agree.
The interior maybe looks basic/dated compared to other new cars , but it has physical buttons , perfect layout , screen in lower position and integrated and everything is intuitive . I never had to open the good to know app. Also think that it will age better than the more futuristic new ones

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
I went from 1M which had tons of torque and while I think it's the coolest modern BMW, I am shocked at how much I like my Cayman T despite less on the bottom end...it makes up so much with the entire package.
i find BMW's sloppy squishy groaning low end rpm torque to be irritating in practical use. It so quickly dies that you ahve to shift again, and their shifting system is so squishy you go...

aaaAAAAHHH..... pause pause ....aAAAAHHHHHHHH.. paus pause pause. Sucks.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i find BMW's sloppy squishy groaning low end rpm torque to be irritating in practical use. It so quickly dies that you ahve to shift again, and their shifting system is so squishy you go...

aaaAAAAHHH..... pause pause ....aAAAAHHHHHHHH.. paus pause pause. Sucks.
Jefe, you really have to come out here and have a beer with me! BMW has made a few flops lately which is why I switched. Luckily, I sold my 1M to a friend here locally and I'm sure he would let you drive it. The torque take a lot of throttle discipline, almost like like powerful front wheel drive cars because you can break the rears so easily, but it does rev and the shifter is sublime in the 1M. Smoother than my Cayman and I liked it more than the shifters on the M2 and current M3 models. So come out here before he sells it and you should drive one of the last truly great BMWs made. I fell out of love with the current ones. The closest I can describe the difference in these two cars are with rollecoasters our family loves at Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park. We love them both equally yet they are so different.

The Silver Bullet does loops, goes inverted, goes faster, is smoother, pulls more lateral Gs and I would equate it to the Cayman T. I ride the Silver Bullet with my kids multiple times and only stop after gettng a little dizzy. I can't get enough of it, like my Cayman T.

The Ghost Rider doesn't do loops, doesn't go inverted, is bumpy but it doesn't need to do loops. It is rough and thrilling. It reminds me of the 1M's mechanical full-lock diff that was originally designed for NA cars working non stop to keep torque on the ground, the tail wagging even in a straight line and then then unlike the silver bullet that builds up G forces smoothly and progressively, the Ghost Rider slows, then BAM into an almost vertical drop that picks up speed almost violently...... Many say that the 1M was unrefined in suspension and diff and torque, but it was always thrilling and always felt a little dangerous like the wooden ghostrider. You always wonder if a piece of lumber might snap careening the cars off into the parking lot. That is how you feel in the 1M driving it hard. I still think it is the last truly great M car made even with these "inadequacies"

Sometimes these "inadequacies" are what make a car special or give it some character. I already waxed about how, I find driving the T, to be so involving because it makes me stay focused on the power band in a corner and trying to hit the beat just right with the clutch, throttle, gear and engine range to hit the perfect strum, on beat, on a some crazy time-signature song. I remember in the 80s when Casio digital keyboards came out and you push a button and get a perfect digital beat with no effort. I tried them for months until I got bored, then I picked up my guitar and a metronome and it was hard, but man when you hit the beats just right, its badass awesome! That is the T to me, low rpm torque and all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I get your concern, I had the same. I drove my BMW 1M Coupe with N54 to the Porsche dealer to test drive a Cayman T and I was also worried about that. Another worry for me was whether the Cayman T with it's sports suspension would clear my driveway. Luckily the manual Cayman T they had was a demo model and I asked if I could take it home to see it cleared the driveway. My house was a good 20 minute drive from the dealership and not only did it clear the driveway, but I fell in love. Yes the 1M and M2 deliver almost full torque by 1800 RPM and pulls hard until about 5500 RPM and it is quite thrilling. I owned my first 1M since august 2011 and while the thrust was fun, it also could be a little fatiguing. With traction control on, you get blinking lights and bogdown if you mash the throttle. If you took traction control off, you had lots of wheel spin which I guess is fun for a bit but wears off. There is no more lag in the Cayman T than there is in the 1M or M2. It is almost identical. Others here have adeptly identified the difference between what the ignorant media is calling lag vs turbo boost threshold. Lag is when you push the throttle down and how quickly boost builds up. In an NA car car in the powerband the throttle pedal feels mechanically linked. In other words you mash the throttle and instantly feel the push. In turbo cars, even the best ones it feels as if there is a small balloon between the pedal and throttle actuator. You push the pedal and the balloon squishes and pushes the throttle actuator and then you get thrust even. That squishing balloon feeling is turbo lag and the 1M and M2 have a little of it as well. You don't really notice it until you jump into an NA Miata or in my case my old 330i ZHP.

What the Cayman T has is a higher boost threshold. In other words the engine is tuned to for a higher RPM boost threshold. The downside is it feels like a 2L motor under about 2500 RPM. When you first start out, you have to give it more gas and do a slightly slower clutch release so you don't bog it down. With a manual, you might forget about it sometimes and not give it enough gas or sidestep the clutch and the car can bog down but after about 1000 miles, I have it down now. This is what everyone talks about and call lag. But for me, this is a minor 1 point deduction on the T but I give the motor +2 points in that 1 you can use all of the power in the motor. It delivers power closer to an NA motor in that torque builds as you go up, not the instant sledgehammer N54/N55 full torque that you have to manage. I LOVE how it torque builds and you can firewall the throttle and not end up sideways. Secondly, this thing revs to over 7000 RPM and again this broad torque curve is rewarding and I enjoy it more. So yes, I did notice that launching the Cayman takes a little more thought and it is not a dragster or drift car but I can tell you as a guy that has never owned a Porsche, does not own a single Porsche shirt, owns two ZHPs and two BMW 1Ms that the driving dynamics, the car as a machine, is freakin' amazing. If being able to light up the rear wheels is a higher priority for you, then none of the Caymans will do it for but if you are ready to go from a P47 Thunderbolt with that massive 18 cylinder radial to the P51 Mustang's puny 12 cylinder in comparison, you will be rewarded with an amazing combination of handling. I bring these two planes up because I just watched a documentary on the P51 and some of the P47 guys that loved the beastly 18 cylinder radial and rugged P47 where a little skeptical about the smaller, lighter, less powerful Mustang..until they got in a dogfight...then they got it.

The Cayman is a different car and I actually enjoy managing the boost threshold. Combined with the manual gearbox, it feels very symbiotic and I feel like part of the machine because it takes my shifting and boost management skill to make the machine go fast. That is why I want a manual in the first place. So yes, the automatic does a better job at managing it for you but it takes away some of the engagement for me. I have also found that since I control the clutch release, I can keep the revs up and release at a rate that keeps everything happy. The car is so good that I don't miss the instant torque that much because I enjoy having torque come up gradually, the ability to mash the throttle and build up to 7000 rpm a whole lot more.

There were times driving turbo BMWs that it almost felt like driving a front wheel drive car...you had to have throttle discipline....with traction control on, not too much or it would kick in and bog you down. Traction control off was dangerous on the street and you had to be disciplined. The Cayman has done an amazing job at making turbo that is closer to an NA car with a broader powerband and more useable power. I hope that helps, but really only you can decide and you really should just do a long test drive. Best wishes.
Thank you for this very informative post. I have a manual base Cayman on order and am reassured.
I was unable to test-drive a Cayman because the dealer did not have one available.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts