Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have noticed a few posts about ceramic coating the car with most people having this done by the dealer or an auto-salon. I have had my cars professionally detailed as well as done this myself over the years, cleaning, polishing and waxing. I have researched prices here (Washington State) to the tune of about $1,500+ to have it applied. Is there anything special with applying the product as I have not done this before?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have specific experience on both sides of this fence. A friend of mine has a black 981, and after being specifically trained in a live demo by the vendor for a PCA detail event, he tried it himself. Frankly, it looks it. This is not something to do in your dimly lit garage. The prep work is too important - and even in the right facility, with the correct lighting and a lot of patience, it's not something for the faint of heart.

I also have a black 718, and was lucky enough that my dealer threw Ceramic coating into my sales deal (end of the month, end of the day, and a customer who was prepared to walk away). I never thought a brand new car could actually look better than new. My reflection is so deep I can look into my soul.

Knowing what I know now, and from my friend's specific experience, I would have paid the $1350 - and considering it now for my other car (a Honda HRV). Don't try this one at home boys and girls. You may end up with results that look like a bad turtle-wax job.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have specific experience on both sides of this fence. A friend of mine has a black 981, and after being specifically trained in a live demo by the vendor for a PCA detail event, he tried it himself. Frankly, it looks it. This is not something to do in your dimly lit garage. The prep work is too important - and even in the right facility, with the correct lighting and a lot of patience, it's not something for the faint of heart.

I also have a black 718, and was lucky enough that my dealer threw Ceramic coating into my sales deal (end of the month, end of the day, and a customer who was prepared to walk away). I never thought a brand new car could actually look better than new. My reflection is so deep I can look into my soul.

Knowing what I know now, and from my friend's specific experience, I would have paid the $1350 - and considering it now for my other car (a Honda HRV). Don't try this one at home boys and girls. You may end up with results that look like a bad turtle-wax job.
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the input!
I had my 2016 Macan and 2017 Boxster treated with Sapphire V1 ceramic coating. No more waxing, just hose off and dry. You cannot buy this product and do it yourself, only a qualified applicator can do it. As said above the prep has to be perfect or it will show. The Sapphire V1 was originally developed as a coating for airplanes and now has been modified for automobiles. Look into it also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts