Porsche 718 Forum banner

Ceramic Coating-Do it yourself?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ritchieg 
#1 ·
Hello all. I have noticed a few posts about ceramic coating the car with most people having this done by the dealer or an auto-salon. I have had my cars professionally detailed as well as done this myself over the years, cleaning, polishing and waxing. I have researched prices here (Washington State) to the tune of about $1,500+ to have it applied. Is there anything special with applying the product as I have not done this before?

Thanks for the replies.

#2 ·
I have specific experience on both sides of this fence. A friend of mine has a black 981, and after being specifically trained in a live demo by the vendor for a PCA detail event, he tried it himself. Frankly, it looks it. This is not something to do in your dimly lit garage. The prep work is too important - and even in the right facility, with the correct lighting and a lot of patience, it's not something for the faint of heart.

I also have a black 718, and was lucky enough that my dealer threw Ceramic coating into my sales deal (end of the month, end of the day, and a customer who was prepared to walk away). I never thought a brand new car could actually look better than new. My reflection is so deep I can look into my soul.

Knowing what I know now, and from my friend's specific experience, I would have paid the $1350 - and considering it now for my other car (a Honda HRV). Don't try this one at home boys and girls. You may end up with results that look like a bad turtle-wax job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.