Porsche 718 Forum banner

Best New Car Shine Choice

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I kept my 993 for 26 years, I suspect at my age my incoming Boxster GTS 4.0 will be my last car.
I loaded it up with all the goodies, as I've never done and want to give it the best shine out of the box.
I'm an old school carnauba wax guy, but my local Ceramic Pro guy says no one waxes anymore.
Since all polishing jobs are apparently chemicals now anyway, a ceramic coating on delivery seems like a good idea.
I know a good PPF bra will be even more impervious, but I have a problem with sticking a film on my new paint.
Comments from the forum members please, and dealer applied or independent shop?

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,467 Posts
I did four coats of Ceramic Pro and an annual top coat renewal. Works great for me and how I use the car recreationally on country roads.

Reactions: Post-It-Note

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congrats on the purchase of your newest vehicle. I am looking to do PPF on all of the exposed areas of my Cayman. This would include the hood, side mirrors, lower body panels all the way to the rear wheels. This will be followed by ceramic coating.

·
Registered
84 Posts
PPF: Xpel Ultimate Plus on full nose, a-pillar, side rockers, and rear bumper extensions. I recommend doubling up on the rear bumper as the rear tires quickly destroy the paint

Ceramic: Opti-Coat Pro+ if using a professional or your pick if doing it yourself - I recommend Opti-coat Hyper Seal

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
694 Posts
Had my SA do a five year ceramic coat when the car arrived three weeks ago. Wheels, body, glass, etc. Everything but the fabric top. Yesterday I did my first wash. Basically pressure cleaned the wheels, wells, and body. Used a leaf blower to dry. Fifteen minutes. Car is spotless. Never physically touched the car. Well, that's not quite true. I had my key fob in my pocket. When I was pressure cleaning the butt end the trunk kept opening! Moved the keys to the other side of the garage to solve the problem. lol.

Reactions: HyperMunda

·
Registered
776 Posts
I was a ceramic skeptic for a while and couldn’t understand the cost of paying $1k+ for a paint correction/ceramic coating. Figured I always kept my car pretty clean anyway how big of a difference could ceramic make, especially for the price. Then once I got my 718 I finally bit the bullet and let me tell you it’s 100% worth it. Water literally flies off the car. Simply blasting the car with a hose probably gets it 95%+ clean. Washing and maintaining the car is so much easier than a non-coated car it’s really night and day. Nothing ever sticks or is hard to get off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Only “lurking” now as I work towards my purchase, but have Gtechniq Ultra on a 440i and an X5. Body and wheels. Marvelous. Very easy to keep clean and looks clean for several weeks when prior - w dark blue paint- would require weekly washes. A 5 year old, dark-colored car w no swirl marks. And wheels now very easy to keep clean. I’d certainly recommend.

·
Super Moderator
1,993 Posts
IMO—a detail followed by a ceramic coat. I've had this done professionally on two cars because both are skills I didn't have and didn't want to practise on my car. Any professional who applies a ceramic coat will do the polish first because you can't do it afterward and you will want the paint as perfect as possible before you seal it.

I had Opticoat Pro+ and it came with a 10 year warranty.

If you get little stone chips in the paint where you are then PPF on the vulnerable areas. Check on your previous car to see the need.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,467 Posts
Thanks Jazz Cat
Sounds like the play for me to
Who did the application?
I'm in Louisville, KY, so I used Xclusive Detailing. Even though it was fresh off the boat, they did a paint correction before the multiple coats of Ceramic Pro. They now have a CP combo of PPF and ceramic coating, but for my usage, I just have and enjoy the coating.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There's countless ways to 'Skin the Detailing Cat' and the best for you likely depends on a few things:
1. How OCD-ish about your car are you? Do chips make you sad and will they take away from the enjoyment you get from your car?
2. Do you enjoy washing/waxing your car or are you more of a 'fire and forget' kinda person?
3. How do you use your car? Is it a daily driver, a Sunday driver or somewhere in between? Lotsa freeway driving, local roads only, backroads blasting?

If chips and scratches will drive you mad, then PPF is the way to go, add a ceramic on top for chemical resistance/ease of cleaning. The self-healing abilities of most brands of PPF (XPEL, Suntek, STEK, etc.) are pretty nice; not a suit of armor as the film is only 8mils thick but still a nice bonus. Additionally, some like STEK Dynoshield and the new Suntek film have a hydrophobic topcoat (coating like behavior) built into the film.

Ceramic coatings will offer ease of cleaning any chemical and environmental incident resistance, some self-cleaning abilities and ease of maintenance. If you enjoy maintaining/waxing your car then a coating might remove that from your life as they are pretty simple to maintain and don't do so well with waxes and sealants applied on top of them; doesn't hurt the underlying coating but rather just masks the hydrophobic and self cleaning effects that are some of the benefits of a coating. While there are many great DIY-able ceramics out there, some that exceed the performance of some pro-only offerings, the best results come from significant preparation before applying the coatings (Chemical and mechanical decontamination, some level of polishing/paint correction); not hard but an investment in both time and equipment/chemicals. Despite the over-hyped marketing, ceramics WILL NOT protect you from significant scratching/marring of the paint. Don't put any faith in the "Eleventy-billion h hardness" nonsense, not the "harder than diamonds" or "scratch resistant" claims. There are some self-healing coatings out there but due to the thin-ness of the coating layer, it ain't much...won't really heal all but the slightest of marring.

You can also go w/ a sealant or a wax if your car is not gonna be used much aside from a Sunday drive and whatnot. To be honest, if I had a car that only came out in nice weather for an occasional nice-weather excursion I'd skip the PPF and Ceramic approaches and just ensconce that thing in the most luscious paste wax I could find.

Brain Dump of all I've learned regarding PPF & Ceramics. 2 of our daily drivers have been coated in a few different coatings since early 2016 and 2 of our 'fun cars' have been completed done w/ PPF and ceramics on top of that (one with STEK Dynoshield and just got the Cayman back last month after a partial respray, full PPF w/ XPEL and ceramic coating on top. While are 'fun' cars don't see Winter here in NE Ohio they do get daily driven from May thru November so they will get rained on, bird's will target them and they see lotsa driving both local and freeway. Since I am somewhat OCD-ish w/ regards to appearance, the PPF + Ceramics suit our needs well. As with anything, YMMV.

PPF or Ceramic Coatings: PPF or Ceramic Coating

Life with PPF: Life with PPF: STEK Dynoshield

Porsche Cayman, partial respray, PPF and coating: 2016 Porsche Cayman S – Partial Respray, PPF and more

Corvette w/ full PPF: 2019 Corvette – The adventure begins…

Quartz, Glass, Ceramic coatings: Glass/Quartz/Ceramic Coatings – Kamikaze Miyabi, ISM, Zipang, NV Nova EVO, 22ple, Cquartz, Gtechniq CSL, EXO and more.

Maintaining a coated car: Other Stuff

There's a whole lotta info in the above pages that I've picked up along the way; performance, strengths, weaknesses of coatings, things to ponder when getting PPF done, types of PPF installations, maintaining PPF/coated cars...all from th eyes of an overly curious non-professional. If you do decide to do PPF, whether partial or complete, IMO THE key to PPF happiness is choosing the right installer; WHO does the install is far more important that WHAT they may be installing. Great shops use great products and an incompetent installer can make even the best PPF look terrible.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Check out Griots Ceramic Carnuaba wax treatment.
You can do it yourself.
Starter package is only $100.00

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Had XPEL installed on full front, mirrors, rockers, and rear bumper, along with two coats of Fusion Plus ceramic over entire car. A couple of stone hits nicked the XPEL on our front bumper, but both amazingly healed over time. My lovely Bride never saw any of the seams, nor did our neighbors, and there was zero yellowing or muting of the car's radiant Sapphire Blue Metallic paint. Basically, our BS appeared showroom new when we handed the keys over to the new owner a month ago.

I'm convinced PPF is the perfect stone and scratch protection product for me (YMMV). Thus, PPF shall be installed on the entire car, along with ceramic, once we finally exit the Waiter's Club and our new GTS is delivered.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Does anyone know if all (U.S.) Porsche dealers offer ceramic? Or is it just down to whether the individual dealer happens to offer that service or not? I do plan to ask my dealer about it at some point, but I would like to know what to expect the answer to be. I looked on their website and see no mention of ceramic, PPF, etc. being offered there. I’m leaning toward getting ceramic when my Cayman finally comes in. And if it’s available from the dealer, I will probably lean toward getting the dealer to apply it before I take delivery, if only because I will not feel like being separated from the car so soon after finally getting in the driver’s seat after months of waiting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does anyone know if all (U.S.) Porsche dealers offer ceramic? Or is it just down to whether the individual dealer happens to offer that service or not? I do plan to ask my dealer about it at some point, but I would like to know what to expect the answer to be. I looked on their website and see no mention of ceramic, PPF, etc. being offered there. I’m leaning toward getting ceramic when my Cayman finally comes in. And if it’s available from the dealer, I will probably lean toward getting the dealer to apply it before I take delivery, if only because I will not feel like being separated from the car so soon after finally getting in the driver’s seat after months of waiting.
Chances are if the dealer 'offers' a true ceramic and/or PPF they'll be farming it out to a detail shop. Which, while inconvenient from the timing perspective, is generally the best way to go. While there are certainly exceptions, I'd check closely on any dealer-offered ceramic/PPF suggestions. The dealer may have some referrals to professional shops nearby though so worthwhile to ask.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Xpel on the really vulnerable areas and then a ceramic coating was the route I took, I can highly recommend the kamikaze ceramic coating. I did have Gtechniq on my previous 3 cars, but kamikaze is on a different level.

what I would say is do your research and ensure that you go to someone who is going to do the job right, if either is applied incorrectly they will be useless.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Chances are if the dealer 'offers' a true ceramic and/or PPF they'll be farming it out to a detail shop. Which, while inconvenient from the timing perspective, is generally the best way to go. While there are certainly exceptions, I'd check closely on any dealer-offered ceramic/PPF suggestions. The dealer may have some referrals to professional shops nearby though so worthwhile to ask.
Thanks! Good information and suggestions. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Xpel on the really vulnerable areas and then a ceramic coating was the route I took, I can highly recommend the kamikaze ceramic coating. I did have Gtechniq on my previous 3 cars, but kamikaze is on a different level.

what I would say is do your research and ensure that you go to someone who is going to do the job right, if either is applied incorrectly they will be useless.
Cayman was just done with XPEL + Kamikaze Zipang...simply beautiful. Have used Gtechniq CSL a few times previously but for my needs and wants, Kamikaze has been exceeding all expectations on our cars (both toys and daily drivers) since 2016.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would suggest doing some research for good detailers/ppf installers in your area. The quality of both the paint correction/ceramic coating and ppf are highly dependent on the skill of the installer. I would venture to say you will pay more money for inferior work if you have your dealer farm it out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would suggest doing some research for good detailers/ppf installers in your area. The quality of both the paint correction/ceramic coating and ppf are highly dependent on the skill of the installer. I would venture to say you will pay more money for inferior work if you have your dealer farm it out.
Thanks! Great advice. I do have in mind a good detailer near my home that I think I will probably end up using. When I kept seeing people mentioning getting ceramic done through their dealer, I was thinking they meant the dealership did it themselves on the premises, which seemed like a convenient option. But going through the dealer is less attractive to me if it just means they farm it out to a third party anyway.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts