Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post on the forum :)

Just sold my 5.0l Mustang (manual) and am looking to hop into a GTS Manual. Im viewing one tomorrow that looks great.

The other car i was considering is the jag f-type 5.0l. I think the cayman looks more modern but i love the crackles from the jag (having driven one you dont need to do anything special when you drive, it just makes the crackles for you)

Watching vids on youtube i see people getting crackles pops and bangs from their caymans and it sounds great but when i drove a PDK a few days ago it felt a little lacking on that front (that said traffic wasnt great so it didnt get a fair run).

My question is, in a MT how frequently do you get the lovely exhaust sounds? Do you need to drive it a certain way?

I am test driving one tomorrow so will find out for myself but interested in some advice in preparation.

Thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I’ve got a manual S and in Sport mode you will definitely hear it, especially in overrun. Not so much in normal mode.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It is the Sport Mode that produces the crackles and pops, manual or PDK. I have a PDK and the crackles and pops it produces when I downshift are awesome.

There is no substitute for a Porsche!...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great thanks guys.
Cant wait to drive it tomorrow. When I drove the PDK I didnt play with the modea much so an error on my part!

One good thing about covid though is test drives in the UK are unassisted currently :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one im viewing also has sports chrono and im lead to believe PASM is standard on the GTS so i guess id be fully loaded with the must have options

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Great thanks guys.
Cant wait to drive it tomorrow. When I drove the PDK I didnt play with the modea much so an error on my part!

One good thing about covid though is test drives in the UK are unassisted currently :)
A HUGE error in your part! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

I went to the Porsche dealership to buy a 911 NA6 MANUAL.

I drove the Cayman (base) PDK for 10 minutes on Sport Mode and my world changed forever. Start by letting the PDK do the shifts, while you are getting used to the Sport Mode throttle response.

Then, while still in Auto mode for the PDK, try a few downshifts, just before the turn, the way you 'd do with a manual (don't worry about rev matching, the PDK does that for you). The PDK entered a 'Manual' mode.

Keep in mind that after you come out of the turn the PDK will wait 6-10 seconds before the PDK returns to auto, unless you don't get back on the gas (engine braking) or flooring it (it likes that...).

The PDK is amazing. It just doesn't only read your mind, it reads your soul!

EDIT: I just saw you are testing one with Sport Chrono. Keep in mind that crackles and pops are the best in the Sport Mode. Sport + is a bit less noisy (but faster). Ask for a Laucnh Control launch if you can...

EDIT 2: I also came from a Mustang GT 5.0 MT

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A HUGE error in your part! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

I went to the Porsche dealership to buy a 911 NA6 MANUAL.

I drove the Cayman (base) PDK for 10 minutes on Sport Mode and my world changed forever. Start by letting the PDK do the shifts, while you are getting used to the Sport Mode throttle response.

Then, while still in Auto mode for the PDK, try a few downshifts, just before the turn, the way you 'd do with a manual (don't worry about rev matching, the PDK does that for you). The PDK entered a 'Manual' mode.

Keep in mind that after you come out of the turn the PDK will wait 6-10 seconds before the PDK returns to auto, unless you don't get back on the gas (engine braking) or flooring it (it likes that...).

The PDK is amazing. It just doesn't only read your mind, it reads your soul!

EDIT: I just saw you are testing one with Sport Chrono. Keep in mind that crackles and pops are the best in the Sport Mode. Sport + is a bit less noisy (but faster). Ask for a Laucnh Control launch if you can...

EDIT 2: I also came from a Mustang GT 5.0 MT
Thanks for the detailed response :) Tomorrows drive is a manual but i will make sure i spend some quality tome with sport mode :)

FYI this is what im looking at, anything you think is missing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also how did you find the mustang? I loved it to bits. Had it 3 years which is the longest ive ever kept a car :) Constantly falling to bits and build quality was crap but soooooooo much fun

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Great engine, great sound! The brakes in the Mustang GT were fit for a KIA...

I had a MY14 with a solid axle in the back... and it showed!

I suggest you try a PDK before you spend your money. YMMV

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great engine, great sound! The brakes in the Mustang GT were fit for a KIA...

I had a MY14 with a solid axle in the back... and it showed!

I suggest you try a PDK before you spend your money. YMMV
Haha yeah breaks were shocking and back end wanted to kill me....

Yeah good advice on giving the PDK another go!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 19’ CGTS and couldn’t be happier, I really recommend it. Which year is the car you are looking at? I’m not sure when they started adding GPF filters in Europe, but an unfortunate side effect of this is that it really dampens down the pops and crackles, so that could be an explanation as to why you were not hearing that much. I know that when I listen to YouTube reviews of slightly older versions of the GTS the exhaust is popping and crackling a lot more than ever happens in my car and I understand it’s due to the filters.

But for me personally it doesn’t detract from what is one of the most balanced and responsive sports car ever. You won’t regret buying it!!

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
139 Posts
I sold my mustang as well for a 718S.... and happy i did, the mustang was great but was super keen to get back into a Boxster...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Cayman GTS and 2014 Porsche Cayman S
11 Posts
CerealUK - welcome to the forum and hopefully soon to one of the finest sports cars ever made. Good advice above. Former Mustang guy myself (3 of the 1960s era and a 1998 Cobra I bought new). I’ve had my 2018 CGTS for a week and am coming from a 2014 CS.

The M6 is fun, but the PDK shaves around .5 seconds off a 0-62 time for me (I can’t shift as fast as a pro) and handles the extra torque of the turbo perfectly every single shift. After driving both, I went with the PDK. As quickly as this car gets to speed and with the way the suspension communicates, I don’t miss the extra engagement of a manual at all.

To get the car to pop and crackle, put it in sport mode with the sport exhaust on, run the engine to 3,500 to 4,000 rpm and let off the throttle completely. Works with either transmission.

Good luck on your purchase! There aren’t any wrong answers with this car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm not certain, but being an early 18 plate it will probably be pre-GPF, which I believe was introduced late in 2018. As already said above, this makes a big difference to the sound. By the look of it the car has the standard headlights - Bi-Xenon and LED are optional extras, even on GTS. Quite a few views in here regarding the standard headlights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In terms of spec, you should consider parking sensors at least at the rear. Rear visibility for parking is not good. Your not buying from a Porsche dealer, so assume the warranty will be a max of 12 months - direct from Porsche it will be be 24 months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In terms of spec, you should consider parking sensors at least at the rear. Rear visibility for parking is not good. Your not buying from a Porsche dealer, so assume the warranty will be a max of 12 months - direct from Porsche it will be be 24 months.
Do they not have reverse cams as standard?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do they not have reverse cams as standard?
No front or rear sensors as standard and no camera. It’s a about a £1k option for all those. If the car has warranty and you retro fit sensors, you risk a claim being denied as it will involve splicing into the electrics. Also 2 dealers told me they would not buy a car with retro fit sensors.....in reality I bet they would but they wouldn’t sell via the Porsche network and would probably low ball any price they gave.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have recently gone from a 2.0 cayman to a 2.5 CGTS and went through a lot of must haves - multi function steering wheel, sensors , camera, heated seats, Bose sounds system, folding mirrors, GTS interior with contrast stitching (with leather on the dash, Alcantara everywhere else and carbon fibre rather than stainless - differentiates the car from the base or “S”. I also got LEDs with pdls plus. I ended buying new as finding a used with the spec I wanted was a challenge post lockdown as stock levels were very low. If buying used, I was only going to buy from a Porsche main dealer too. Just my preference and many may disagree and feel that there is no benefit in doing so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys ill ask the dealer for confirmation of the reverse camera and sensor options. I agree - wouldnt want to be without these!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts