Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I have been thinking about changing the oil on my Cayman as I quickly aproach the 1 year ownership and got just under 7K miles on it. Now in Europe they advise changing oil every 2 years/20k.
I have seen plenty of very interesting threads on this very forum about that diference of numbers between US and Europe - one thing I didnt found though is, is it advised not to do the change yourself ?

Never done it before but, from what I can gather changing the oil is about putting the car on a ramp, unscrewing a lil' cap underneath the car, let it drain for a while, preferably in a big bucket, put back the cap, put new oil in. Seems straightforward (unless I am missing something).

I wonder if I do it myself, if that would impact the warranty and the service history of the car - not that I think selling, but I like keeping the papers in order, and if one day I need to sell for a reason or another the car doesnt look like its oil never got changed !
I'm thinking doing it myself mostly because I like the idea of taking care of my car myself where possible/realistic , or anyway learning how to do it. And there is nothing bad in saving a few hundred quids in the process.

[edit] Also ! Today the dealer told me our 718 are equiped with a device that monitor the quality of the oil. So if it turns bad for a reason or another, the car let us now. Have someone been experiencing this ?

thanks-

·
Registered
143 Posts
You forgot the part where you change the filter itself :oops:

I think with the 718s there is a little more to undo, underbody panel or two before you can get to the filter and drain. Not saying it's rocket science, but there is a little more to it on these cars. I haven't done it yet, but most likely will the first time I have to do it. Was going to look for a How To with pics or video from someone who's already done it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
There is a DIY on here so a search in the DIY forum should find it. There is a good deal more to it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[email protected] you are right ! I completely missed that DIY section somehow ! my bad !

Sounds changing the oil on the 718 is more involved than on the previous generations indeed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Cayman (Ira) will be a year old in April. It has 2100 miles on it. Since it is still under warranty I'm letting the dealer handle the first oil change whether it needs it or not. When Ira turns 8 or so, provided I'm still alive, then I may attempt an oil change. Please don't let my negativity persuade you not to perform the oil change, it's just when I start screwing around with something complex I always end up breaking something. Someone told me it had to do with genetic predisposition.

Have you hugged your Porsche today?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
...and make sure you have a disposal plan for the oil and the oily filter! Putting the filter in the garbage or pouring the oil down the drain is criminal. Here, in the US, any oil changing facility is required to accept your used oil, I am not sure about the filter. Last time I've done it, it was in 85 and I had a handy plastic can for used oil (looked like a regular gerrycan, but with a drain in its side to collect the oil.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Porsche has been duly hugged. Back to daddy after a week of minor repairs. Happy to see her back.

I am guessing dumping the dirty oil on my neighbore driveway wont cut it then. :unsure:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Having done it on my 718, I can tell you it's a piece of cake. If you've changed oil on another car you can do it on this one. The only difference is you have to remove the underbody panel that has a bunch of screws (14 or so?). and if you're PDK then there's one bolt to undo a sensor i think to get the filter out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wonder if I do it myself
Yes you can. I put the MT Cayman up on 4 jack stands and removed the left rear wheel.

The fellow on this video put the rear tires on stacked blocks of wood.
Perhaps he likes living at the edge. The stacks of wood make me feel Death is lurking nearby.

Better yet, check for Oil Change this Forum at
Oils, Fluids, Fuel, Additives And Lubrications

·
Registered
139 Posts
718Niko If you haven’t changed the oil on a car before, can I perhaps suggest you take to local independent Porsche workshop.

As you said it’s not rocket science - there’s a great guide here Photo DIY: 2018 Cayman S (with PDK) Engine Oil Change - but a 718 with PDK and PDLS probably isn’t the easiest for a first attempt.

I don’t know for sure, but a suspect an indie would charge around £200 to change the oil – perhaps less. Whereas an Official Porsche Centre is probably going to be double that.

As it happens I changed the oil on my car at the weekend, as I was in the same position. I’d done around 9,000 miles and did not want to wait until 20,000 / 2 years to change. Fortunately for me though, I have a very good friend who owns a Audi/VW workshop, and we did it there. I was say ‘we’ in the most liberal sense…he did it. I’ve change the oil on loads of cars in the past (but not for about 10 years) and I don’t think I’d recommend a 718 as a test mule. The filter housing is in a very tight spot, certainly on the 2.5 with PDK and PDLS. I certainly wouldn’t have fancied doing it without the right tools and a two post ramp.

(Two 5 litre cans of 0-40 Mobil 1 cost me £85 and the filter (from my local OPC) was around £25).

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hehe I might pass on that oil change and let the pro do it!

I mostly seen previous gen cayman how to before and didnt expect the 718 to be that diferent.

For an operation that needs to be done regulary in the car lifetime you'd think they would have kept it simple.

I think I ll limit myself on changing the winter/summer wheels and keeping her tidy as far as care is concerned : )

Glad I didnt start just taking everything off right away.

·
Registered
314 Posts
...and make sure you have a disposal plan for the oil and the oily filter! Putting the filter in the garbage or pouring the oil down the drain is criminal. Here, in the US, any oil changing facility is required to accept your used oil, I am not sure about the filter. Last time I've done it, it was in 85 and I had a handy plastic can for used oil (looked like a regular gerrycan, but with a drain in its side to collect the oil.
Disposing of the old oil is the biggest hassle of doing it yourself. Like DIH says, do not pour it into the ground.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Are you buying a disposable plastic container?
No, I keep a few large 5 qt. oil containers and re use them...I have one 3 gallon (diesel truck) that works great too...take it to O'Reilley's and they dump them in their large container and return them....just takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Folks, Niko is in the UK! I don't know what the disposal situation is over there, but pouring oil on the ground or the drain is criminally illegal in any country of the EU...;)

Oh wait!:eek:

Niko is not in the EU anymore!...:rolleyes::cool:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not in the EU, but still in Europe ?

I actually didnt think about the disposal question. Maybe my local garage would take it, I d need to ask.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We know...that Flag was a hint....I suspect he can find a source locally as it is a recyclable....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm a pretty good wrench and I have a lift in the shop. I have a GTS with PDLS sensor and the oil change took me almost 3 hours. Pain in the ass. The oil maintenace warning has to be reset at the dealer another pain in the ass. The filter is in a very aquard location. Then there is no dip stick, another pain in the ass. You are going to need star sockets to get the cover off the bottom of the car also, another pain in the ass. Once you do it though it will not be that hard, but about half way through doing it the first time you will be cursing Porsche.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts