Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
An 87 328 GTS is about as technically advanced as a ford fiesta in todays world, i also own Ferraris but up to date modern ones and again you would not be servicing them yourself without special equipment and a diagnostic tool.
The Porsche 718 and all other exotica of today are highly engineered, technical and software based platforms.
the belly pan on the 718 is designed for aero and cooling purposes, if it was beneficial to leave it off Porsche would not have included it as part of the design, these cars suffer with heat soak when pressed hard and need efficient cooling
Porsche would have saved the cost of fitting the third radiator if cooling could have been enhanced elsewhere, there are track teams that have experimented with removing the cowl and floor covers but they were put back in place with little modifications.
To achieve 15 HP per 100cc in standard form for the 2.0L is something that could only be dreamed of by Ferrari in the 90鈥檚, these cars are capable of a reliable 22.5 HP per 100cc with a modest turbo upgrade and software tune.
At the end of the day its your car and can do what you like with it but i would not be messing with any designed Aero as the consequences in doing so could prove fatal especially at the speed these cars can travel (186MPH GPS my maximum speed to date)

Cheers
thanks for your insight.
it's all relative.

btw: that's why i asked the question. 馃い

Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
I have ordered another 74mm oil wrench socket that is hopefully a bit deeper than the one I have. I may modify a ring spanner to fit the end of it, so it is easier to use and tighten. Total time involved...4.5 hours, which must be some kind of record.
Hi,

Could you please expand on that? Why would the deeper socket help?

Thank you,

Mike

Registered
Hi,

Could you please expand on that? Why would the deeper socket help?

Thank you,

Mike
It would definitely help to have a deep socket. I had to contort a good bit to put pressure on the end of the socket to keep it in place. With something deeper I could have held enough inward pressure to keep it on the filter with my torquing hand I think.

Registered
That is what I found. My first 74mm socket was a loose fit, and kept falling off. The second, better quality one, used with a cutoff 22mm ring spanner, works well.

Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
Oh. So an extension wound not help? My filter sockets have 1/2 drive center and 3/4 in outer nut.. Not sure which type you are using. So adding an extension is easy. Funny story. My 30 year old craftsman 6 in extension broke off in my filter socket last time I did the oil change on my M5.

Registered
There is no doubt, that filter housing is a bear to deal with, but by modifying a 22mm ring spanner ( cutting off the open end ) I found I could get the ring end onto the filter socket, and get reasonable room to turn the thing. It also allowed me a much more positive feeling that the housing was done up tight enough ( 25nm which is not really tight ). How anyone could get a tension wrench in there escapes me. Extensions may work, but you would want a good selection to lash up something that may/may not work. I'm going to source a 22mm offset ring spanner, which I think will be a better bet to get more clearance.

My first oil change took over 4 hours, the second, only 2 hours which included a cup off coffee while I gave the thing 30 minutes to drain. Removing the left hand rear wheel also gives you more room to move.

Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
There is no doubt, that filter housing is a bear to deal with, but by modifying a 22mm ring spanner ( cutting off the open end ) I found I could get the ring end onto the filter socket, and get reasonable room to turn the thing. It also allowed me a much more positive feeling that the housing was done up tight enough ( 25nm which is not really tight ). How anyone could get a tension wrench in there escapes me. Extensions may work, but you would want a good selection to lash up something that may/may not work. I'm going to source a 22mm offset ring spanner, which I think will be a better bet to get more clearance.

My first oil change took over 4 hours, the second, only 2 hours which included a cup off coffee while I gave the thing 30 minutes to drain. Removing the left hand rear wheel also gives you more room to move.
thank you sir.
i prefer more photo evidence of the procedure. i do consider my self a fairly resourceful wrench-swing. i also like to
visually see what's involved.
i can get the car 18" above the floor with jack stands. i hate the thought of belly-pan removal. that's why i left these
procedures to VAG local station with my '03 passat. i've got plenty of time until the next service ( about 11mo.) so i'm sure i can get
cozy with the car by then!

but i did all these tasks with my ferrari. it helped bond with her. who wouldn't like their belly scrubbed/rubbed periodically?

i never really had anyone work on the ferrari except my trusted mechanic and me. as soon as she was of age. here
in PA that meant no more fumbling, rumbling with an incompetent , tat-laden, tobaggan pulled-down, geek who didn't
relate to white "symbols of authority". who seem to tamper with the already extinct work ethic anyway.

getting away from that mentality was awesome.

now the thought of re-entering the change routine, particularly the oil change aspect, sends chills thru my checkbook. if i i was able return to those thrilling days of yesteryear, i would. if i had worthless kids, they would be dead by now.

what has happened to create so many stoners who don't respect private property, and have no self-respect to a good
job? if they were paid the same rate as the top mechanics, would it make a difference?

bueller....Bueller.....Bueller.....!
to still get under the car, i would try to do it on my own.

Registered
i never really had anyone work on the ferrari except my trusted mechanic and me. as soon as she was of age. here
in PA that meant no more fumbling, rumbling with an incompetent , tat-laden, tobaggan pulled-down, geek who didn't
relate to white "symbols of authority". who seem to tamper with the already extinct work ethic anyway.
Not quite sure where you are headed with this, and I may be off base, but your post seems offensive. But, I agree that work ethic is a thing of the past. I can't seem to find anyone who will repspond in a timely manner to work requests or show up on time. But, many of those I have contacted are known sources and are not tat-laddened, nor do they wear tobaggan pull downs, and whatever "relate to white authority" means, but I surmise it is derogatory..

Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
Not quite sure where you are headed with this, and I may be off base, but your post seems offensive. But, I agree that work ethic is a thing of the past. I can't seem to find anyone who will repspond in a timely manner to work requests or show up on time. But, many of those I have contacted are known sources and are not tat-laddened, nor do they wear tobaggan pull downs, and whatever "relate to white authority" means, but I surmise it is derogatory..
10-4

Registered
prefer more photo evidence of the procedure. i do consider my self a fairly resourceful wrench-swing. i also like to
visually see what's involved.
There are many oil change guides on the forum some with step by step photos as well, posted on this forum, try a search for it.
If taking off the belly pan seems daunting may I suggest that you may be out of your technical depth and ability to change the oil, it is only a handful of screws and 5 - 10 minutes work at most even working on your back with the car on jack stands.

Cheers

Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
There are many oil change guides on the forum some with step by step photos as well, posted on this forum, try a search for it.
If taking off the belly pan seems daunting may I suggest that you may be out of your technical depth and ability to change the oil, it is only a handful of screws and 5 - 10 minutes work at most even working on your back with the car on jack stands.

Cheers
thanks for your advice. daunting no. painful yes.

Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
thanks for your advice. daunting no. painful yes.
after thinking about this issue, i did not change the red car's oil the past 2yrs. i deferred that task to my mechanic.
he understood my difficulty in working overhead for extended periods.
knowing this, i should consider taking the car to the dealer. hopefully it'll only be once/ year.

Registered
after thinking about this issue, i did not change the red car's oil the past 2yrs. i deferred that task to my mechanic.
he understood my difficulty in working overhead for extended periods.
knowing this, i should consider taking the car to the dealer. hopefully it'll only be once/ year.
Are servicing schedules different in the USA? In the UK and Europe the cars are serviced every 2 years or 20,000 miles which ever comes first
So first service is at 2 years for most over here.

Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
Are servicing schedules different in the USA? In the UK and Europe the cars are serviced every 2 years or 20,000 miles which ever comes first
So first service is at 2 years for most over here.
i believe it's 1yr. or 10k miles according to the service manual for the "oil" service. the full service is 20k or 2yr.
intervals.
it's not a big deal as long as the dealership has competent techs. i was used to one of the best ferrari techs. in
the region who i trusted implicitly.
i suppose the horror stories i've been reading here have raised my concerns.

thanks again.

Registered
Not quite sure where you are headed with this, and I may be off base, but your post seems offensive. ......... snip................
I'm guessing that you would never consider that your own post is offensive.................. but you would be wrong.

Registered
Really? How so? Would be interested to know how that was offensive to you. PM me. I'm crusty and don't get perturbed by things like this, but it is interesting. Alternatively, you can share with the crowd if you desire. Anyway, my post stands without reservation.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts